Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

History of Oxygenée

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » History of Oxygenée « Previous Next »

Chevalier
Posted on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 6:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Not that this matters a whit, but ... is today's Oxygenée drink "oxygenated"? I could swear I see some tiny air bubbles in my bottle.
Oxygenee
Posted on Saturday, August 24, 2002 - 6:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

There were many different brands called Absinthe Oxygénée, but Cusenier made the best known one, and this is the one probably referred to in your book.

After the ban on absinthe in 1915, Cusenier relaunched Oxygénée in the early 1920's, as an anis based "Elixir Aperitif". It was also sold under the shortened name "Oxy".

I've tasted these, and also some other early anis brands - generally they are excellent in comparison with modern bottlings - complex, subtle, never coarse or one dimensional. Its difficult to say whether this is the result of more careful and traditional production methods, or just the results of over 70 years in bottle - probably its a bit of both.

Oxygenee Mignonnettes
Brett
Posted on Friday, August 23, 2002 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have an ecyclopaedic cookbook from 1965 that refers to Oxygenée as being one of the popular substitues for absinthe in France.

Out of curiosity, does anyone out there know how soon or how long after the ban Oxygenée was put back into production? For that matter, has anyone had the opportunity to see or taste an absinthe replacement that is from this period or earlier?

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page