Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

List of countries where absinthe was/...

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » List of countries where absinthe was/is prohibited « Previous Next »

Oxygenee
Posted on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

No, no mention of it after 1910 in the statutes of the Union of South Africa either. All this old legislation has been transferred to CDROM, so its very easy to do a comprehensive search.
Chevalier
Posted on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

And after 1910? My sense is that most of these bans were enacted between 1910 and 1925.
Oxygenee
Posted on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've investigated this quite carefully, because at one stage I considered making absinthe on a commercial scale here. It appears that absinthe was never banned in SA. There is no mention of it in any of the statutes or law reports of the Cape of Good Hope between 1860 and 1910. There was a large French Huguenot community here in the 19th century, so it was almost certainly drunk at the Cape. Unfortunately though, despite quite a fair bit of searching in old newspapers etc, I've not yet found an actual report of its sale in South Africa.
Chevalier
Posted on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 7:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oxygenée, do you know if/when South Africa banned absinthe?

And does anyone know the same about Australia?
Chevalier
Posted on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 7:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you! The list is growing.
Bjacques
Posted on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 7:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The Netherlands, 1914, but legal again since last year, as long as EU guidelines for thujone content are followed. I know of at least three shops in Amsterdam that sell it openly.
Aion
Posted on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 7:01 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Austria - 1915

A.
Chevalier
Posted on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 6:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks, Markus! At least one of our forumites is from Austria. Wonder if he could find out about the Austrian ban?
Mclion
Posted on Saturday, August 24, 2002 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Chevalier,
Switzerland was 1910 and Germany was 1923. The other ones I don't really know.

Markus
Chevalier
Posted on Saturday, August 24, 2002 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

No, I don't have such a list. But someone out there may. Maybe we can even create a list ourselves.

Below is what little I know. Perhaps some of you can expand it:

PROHIBITION OF ABSINTHE by COUNTRY and YEAR

Belgium, 1905(?)
Switzerland, 190(I forget)
U.S.A., 1912
France, 1915
Chile, 1916
Germany, 1923(?)
Brazil, ?
Argentina, ?
Mexico, ?

And ...?

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page