Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

DEVA, we hardly know ya...

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » DEVA, we hardly know ya... « Previous Next »

Perruche_Verte
Posted on Saturday, November 2, 2002 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I tried Larsand today, and it's very good, though it's definitely an oil mix and falls into the Spanish camp in terms of its flavor components. The retail price was something of a giveaway for me. I've seen no distilled absinthe for sale in the under-20 Euros range, and I doubt I ever will.

Thick, cloudy badiane louche; olive green color. Dry enough to benefit from sugar; tasty enough to do without it. Like NS/Candela, but somewhat smoother, with a muted citrus flavor. I agree with you, Zman, this has to be one of the better oil mixes out there. I'd drink it over La Fee, if I were ever in the unlikely position to choose one or the other.

It does have a sort of flat, bitter note in it, which I've noticed in nearly every Spanish absinthe but not in the ones that are actually distilled. I suspect it's commercial wormwood extract.
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yup but everything was free at the tasting so it should not affect my evaluation.
Simon
Posted on Friday, November 1, 2002 - 2:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Larsand is great..Havn't had any in a year or so.
Do any of you know if they have a website? Huguet seems to be everywhere but not Larsand
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

you forgot FREE!
Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I had a glass of Larsand in NYC, I was already very drunk but I remember it was pleasant and well balanced.
Zman7
Posted on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I believe that is it an oil mix, but a very good one. Ingredients on the bottle state, "alcool, arome' naturel, extraits vegetaux." Many oil mixes give themselves away by when you add ice to your drink, large oily/waxy clumps appears (ala Deva, MariMayans, etc). Larsand does not do this.
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Zman, does Larsand taste like an oil mix to you? I suspect it is, but I'm no longer that confident that I can tell by taste alone...
Zman7
Posted on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Actually Larsand is quite good. About ten steps above Deva, and about ten steps below a good hausgemachte. Huguet on the other hand is quite nasty IMHO. The bottles and labeling are almost the same, which leads me to believe that they have the same origin.
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

That's Huguet. Opinions of it seem to range from 'almost drinkable' to 'bottled frog semen' (Mr. Rabid, I think). I think I'll skip that one.
Petermarc
Posted on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

though i was only a couple kms. from andorra after my trip to segarra, we didn't have the time to visit...i also remembered a bad experience from someone who posted here, who was stopped by french customs (many french go to andorra to buy stuff tax-free...VAT is almost 20% and consequently, it is the only border that gets any real attention now)had his absinthe dumped and was fined...so, at the time, with absinthe already in the car, i didn't want to risk it...i have not tried any of the absinthes made there, but from what i can tell, they are all oil-mixes...one of them bottles an 'essence' mix to add to alcohol...
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Petermarc, have you learned anything about the Andorran distilleries making absinthe?

I thought there were just two (Huguet and Larsand) but then I read somewhere that Perigan is made in Andorra. No idea if that's true.

My email to Larsand went unanswered (don't these folks care if they sell anything?) but I'll have some of their absinthe soon.
Petermarc
Posted on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

they must not care anymore...
Simon
Posted on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 6:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Never went in the end!... Couldn't afford the plane ticket at the time :-(. Would have been nice to see though.
It started in my first year of University when me and a friend where drinking lots of Deva and loving it. We wrote a letter to The Vallesana distilerias. A week later we got a phone call from them. I don't speak Spanish, but Lee did. At the timee they where very curious as to how their absenta had found it's way to the UK, and then we where invited.
Petermarc
Posted on Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 5:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

so, tell us about it...
Simon
Posted on Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 4:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

They used to allow visitors as i was invited in 98'
Wolfgang
Posted on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The view of automated oil mixers would break the spell...
Aion
Posted on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 7:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

... not a big surprise, hehe! ...

A.
Petermarc
Posted on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 4:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

the distillery in barcelona that makes deva cannot be visited by the public...

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page