Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Writing aesthetics

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Arts & Other Philosophical Sundries » Writing aesthetics « Previous Next »

Crowlyman
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

sorry
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Why? I'm not...
Crowlyman
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Gee! Somehow I feel like I'm being ridiculed.
Chevalier
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Or you could take things to the opposite extreme: use a word's definition, rather than the word itself. Don't say "fish": say "that which swims". It's what the French "Precieuses" did in the 1600s; Alfred Jarry aped their style two centuries later.
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Spot on old man, spot on!

Its colour. Or color.

Bob the fat man behind the counter at the greasy spoon would better say behavior than behaviour.

And that linguistic device, a happy accident of English and the Atlantic not wearing protection should not be overlooked.

Spelling has always been a devil take the hindmost sport.

So, run fast and either figure out what cr4p l1k3 7h15 means or don't... limiting expression is for Latin or Esperanto.
Crowlyman
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I had had an idea of a short I wanted to write and have already started writing it using the aformentioned spelling. That's when I posted here on the forum. Then I decided maybe that the protagonist (as cynical as he has become!) will be the only one to use such ways of talking....I am hoping that it will show what kind of person he is without having to delve so deeply into explaining his cause.
Pokerface11
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

American English and British English are two different dialects (with subdialects of each, of course). You can choose the version you want, but my feeling is that if you are writing for Americans, you're only going to distract from your message by using British spellings.

I'm the kid holding back the flood waters. Spelling has deteriorated atrociously because people are too lazy to use a dictionary (thank you Spell Check, you fucking useless tool). If it gets much worse, we threaten our ability to communicate effectively (yes, I really believe that). Why make it harder by being deliberately perverse in your spelling just because it "looks good." Pick up a paintbrush and paint a picture if all you care about is looks.
Crowlyman
Posted on Sunday, September 1, 2002 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Pretentious like Proust?

j/k!
Traineraz
Posted on Saturday, August 31, 2002 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Again, depends on your audience. If you are writing to Brits or Canadians, to pretentious people (no, I don't mean Brits and Canadians are pretentious), or just want your audience to find YOU pretentious, by all means use British spelling . . . and don't forget to put that "k" on the end of "magic" as well. :)

Let's try that with some other words:

"transatlantick" - an insect which burrows into the skin just before boarding an ocean liner

"electrick" - The politician you hooked up with

"garlick" - a fat, lasagne-chomping cat's way of slipping you the tongue
Crowlyman
Posted on Saturday, August 31, 2002 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, since I don't write any formal papers I need not worry about accepted practice eh?
Traineraz
Posted on Saturday, August 31, 2002 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Crowly -

I'd say it depends on the audience. My writing style, just like my speaking style, is very different if I'm writing a formal paper for my grad school program (or presenting it) rather than writing a note for the auto mechanic (or chatting with him).
Chevalier
Posted on Saturday, August 31, 2002 - 7:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

As science advances, the art of writing retreats. Scientists and technicians are, as a rule, bad writers.
Raschied
Posted on Saturday, August 31, 2002 - 6:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Fuck spelling. It's a dying art, anyway. I regularly catch 1-2 spelling errors A DAY in broadcast television graphics, which used to have some of the highest standards for spelling. Fucking FX channel can't even spell the name of one of their top-rated shows, "The Sheild." No bullshit - that's what one of their promo graphics said the other day. The Today show even did something similar the other day.

It's a sign of the apocalypse, so spell how you like. Go on manoevres in your grey coloured aeroplane. It just doesn't foucking matter anymore.
Marc
Posted on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

depends on what you are writing. If "an air of elegance" is what you're going for then spell in the Brit fashion. If you're writing a hardboiled detective novel that takes place in the deep south, you might want to abandon the Brit style.
Or as Quentin Tarantino told me, "write it like your characters talk it".
Crowlyman
Posted on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am obviously American, but I truly admire british spelling of words (i.e. colour).
Whenever I write, I usually use that type of spelling. Recently a friend of mine read some of my stuff and noted the 'odd spelling.' I had to press him for his true thoughts (you know how it is: "Yeah, it's good!" instead of: "Heres what I don't get, or like..."). Finally he relented and told me he didn't get the british spelling I use. I didn't know what to say since I really thought it was a non-issue.

Is it wrong for me to use this method or technique or whatever it is in my prose? I think it adds an air of elegence or even love to the LOOK of the line. Possibly, adding flow to the reading aspect...

I am kind of lost on this subject since anyone I know that writes anything uses 'accepted' American forms and spelling. Can anyone here chime in to give me a clue?

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page