Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

La cava de los faros

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » La cava de los faros « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through October 03, 2002Marcellin25 10-3-02  9:54 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Petermarc
Posted on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

concerning my refusal of a taste of hills,
federico didn’t seemed surprised…
i was offered the opportunity to try other absinthes, but my wife was starting to think about the rest of our short visit in this great city in the midst of celebrating the ‘year of antoni guadi,’ no less (and the fact that i was already drinking absinthe, before lunch.) i could have continued our conversation for hours, but we had to finish…before we left the office, federico kindly offered me a bottle of serpis 65°, and his hospitality in the future…i thanked him for giving such a large and informative piece of his time that morning and invited him to paris for my chance to reciprocate…

cristina lead us back to ‘la cava de los faros,’ to show us the famous vaulted cellar…the shop was built on a piece of historic barcelona, part of its foundation is the remnants of the ancient city walls…cristina explained, as we descended the old staircase into the “cava’, that the handsome stone arch on the far wall was part of the top of an ancient entrance…it dated back to the 13th century…there were many cases of wine and absinthe stored on the walls and floor, and in the center of the room, a classic old toledo (ohio, not spain) scale, looking to be more at home in a new england country store and not a wine cellar in barcelona…
back up in the shop, senora lafuente pointed out, before i had a chance to ask, that the scale was a prized family piece, acquired from the 1870 universal exposition in barcelona…i found a fine spanish priorato with her recommendation, from their well-chosen selection of wines, just before we left…senora lafuente started to proudly boast of her grandchildren and tried to get cristina to pull out a picture, which was clearly a bit embarrassing for the mild-spoken cristina to do…
a proud and hospitable family…and finally, a face on cristina…
Petermarc
Posted on Monday, October 7, 2002 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

sorry, the quality of my photos has dropped since the kilobyte limit was put on size...when i finally reduce the photo to a size that will be accepted, the picture is compromised...
Marcellin
Posted on Monday, October 7, 2002 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

And great big greetings to you Kallisti. Yes, I have been negligent in sharing – but I never stopped caring.

Peace to all.

patrick.
Damndj
Posted on Monday, October 7, 2002 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Heh. I think Kubler tastes great. There's something about the aftertaste which I really enjoy. :P~
Absinthespoon
Posted on Sunday, October 6, 2002 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Has anyone asked Cristina if they can carry F. Guy? If not I will ask her.

I also like the Serpis 65 occasionally, but I would never order the 55 again. I think Kubler smells and tastes funky. I am enjoying Versinthe Blanche very much these days.

And I like the Emile 68/Bardouin mix that Wolfgang suggested, I think it's great but I put in less H.B., maybe 1 part in 6 so as not to overwhelm the Emile.
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Sunday, October 6, 2002 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

If you like the 55, you will LOVE the 65. I might order it again just to have a bottle around, though it's not my favorite. There's something about the lemon in the Spanish absinthes that can really be annoying after a while, but I don't recall that flavor being as pronounced in the 65 as in some.
Damndj
Posted on Sunday, October 6, 2002 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

My two favorites right now are Kübler and Sepris 55. I haven't had the 65 so I cannot compare the two. After having read a lot of the messages on this forum, I was a little worried when I placed my order for the Serpis, but I determined set to try as many Absinthe brands as I can to see which one I like best.

After having my first glass, I was unsure as to why Serpis seems to get ragged on so much here. I think the stuff is damn tasty! #2 only behind Kübler. :)
Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, October 3, 2002 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

He is there, watching us, when we all think he's gone!
Admin
Posted on Thursday, October 3, 2002 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

and after all these years, a post from Marcellin. Greetings, ole chap!

is this becoming the farts who haven't posted in oh-so-long thread!?!?

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page