Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through September 01, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Absinthe glasses in the strangest places... » Archive through September 01, 2002 « Previous Next »

Greenmeanie
Posted on Sunday, September 1, 2002 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Bob,

THANKS! You saved me a big hassle. Although I am handy with the ol' Dremel, I do prefer the lazy man route!
Bob_Chong
Posted on Saturday, August 31, 2002 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You can buy glass etching solution at any craft store. Just mask off where you want the line to go, and you've got etched dose marks. Forget the dremel. No need to operate machinery for this procedure.
Bellypock
Posted on Saturday, August 31, 2002 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've seen the ones Chevalier is talking about, and he's right. Footed iced tea glasses make a fairly servicable glass. You can sometimes catch a decent set on e-bay on the extra cheap. Or wading through a yahoo search on 'iced tea glasses' may get some decent results.

Eric
Etienne
Posted on Wednesday, August 21, 2002 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wolf;

If you can find Pontarlier glasses for a hundred bucks, let me know, will you?
Wolfgang
Posted on Wednesday, August 21, 2002 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

*raise hand*

yup.

If you can secure the dremel correctly, it does a nice job.
2loucheltrec
Posted on Tuesday, August 20, 2002 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

dremel anyone?
Brett
Posted on Monday, August 19, 2002 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Speaking of glasses, the "Emile" glass on www.absintheonline.com looks almost like my Spanish coffee glasses from The Keg! In fact, aisde from the fact the Spanish coffee glass flares very slightly at the mouth, it is almost a double dose version of the "Emile" glass.

I wonder if I could do my own etchings on them...
Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 5:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tricky, From the picture I wasn't sure if it was a reservoir...

Whatever, I wouldn't pay 100 for a glass anyway (unless for one of those great Pontarlier glass maybe...).
Bob_Chong
Posted on Wednesday, August 14, 2002 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Looks like the Green Imp bought it.
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, August 14, 2002 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wow, what an idea... buy a shit load of ice cream glasses from a restaraunt supplier, get a bunch of cheesy imitation stainless steel absinthe spoons stamped (believe you me, this does not cost as much as you think) and contract one of those Taiwanese manufacturers to conjure up some cheapo dishes with any ole French denomination on the rim and voila! You're making a hundred bucks a pop... probably for as little as five or six bucks cost, if that. Who's in?
Petermarc
Posted on Wednesday, August 14, 2002 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

that and 6 francs was way too fucking much to have had to have paid for an absinthe...
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, August 14, 2002 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The one "drawback" to this set is that the glass doesn't have a reservoir. Most collectors want empty spaces to fill ...
Wolfgang
Posted on Wednesday, August 14, 2002 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

absinthe set on ebay

Looks nice...100$ buy it now option...
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Wednesday, August 14, 2002 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Even better: Used Tartan goblet, Savers thrift store, $0.69!

Thrifting is always a pleasurable activity, and there's plenty of great old glasses out there.
Pataphysician
Posted on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Target stores: Tartan Goblet, with dose marks!! $2.00 each.

(Perruche has mentioned this one, too.)
Rimbaud
Posted on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Pottery Barn: Claro goblets - $12.00 each. Very nice heavy glasses.
Chevalier
Posted on Saturday, August 10, 2002 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Can you find the absinthe glass and spoon?

my picture
Wolfgang
Posted on Monday, August 5, 2002 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nice glasses but as usual, horrible French internet business...
Petermarc
Posted on Monday, August 5, 2002 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

here's the company:
www.larochere.com
Chevalier
Posted on Monday, August 5, 2002 - 7:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"... the same french glass maker does it in better quality, plus other styles ..."

Petermarc, do you know where we can find photos of them on the Internet?
Petermarc
Posted on Monday, August 5, 2002 - 7:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

these are the same ones used with etched logo by the émile pernot distillery and on the cover of the new 'dedalus book of absinthe,' which is a re-staged photo of a painting by charles maire (the artist from pontarlier who painted the famous pernod fils ad with bottle, carafe and pontarlier glasses) 'l'absinthe au cigare' 1910... the same french glass maker does it in better quality, plus other styles...good choice
Chevalier
Posted on Monday, August 5, 2002 - 6:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Those look quite nice, Becky. If I were in the U.S., I'd pick some up.
Beckbjj
Posted on Saturday, August 3, 2002 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Other than the fact that they're pressed glass, I think these glasses from Williams-Sonoma make decent absinthe glasses:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/cat/pip.cfm?grp=6099&lst=cGLSBAL&src=shpcGLSBAL%20p1

and the price is certainly right. I ended up with these glasses because I couldn't justify the cost of vintage glasses when most of the time it's only me using them (my husband doesn't like absinthe and we don't entertain people who do all that often). The look and weight of these are quite good, you just have to ignore the seam. :-)

Becky
Chevalier
Posted on Saturday, August 3, 2002 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

On the west coast of the U.S., there's a chain of restaurants called "The Cheesecake Factory". They serve lemonade and iced tea in these heavy, garguantuan, beveled and stemmed glasses that look almost exactly like "Lyonnaise" absinthe glasses -- but on steroids.
Brett
Posted on Saturday, August 3, 2002 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

On Wednesday I went to a BMW Advanced Driver training course that took place at a municipal airport outside of Vancouver. The meal service was done by the airport's restauraunt/bar/grill-thingy and the water glasses they provided at lunch would have been great for absinthe. They were a little large, but would be suited for a double dose. They looked similar to the glasses from SC, but a little less curved and they had a stem as opposed to a solid base. Some people had put lemonade in them and it looked almost like Pernod.

And I of course never bothered to ask where they got the glasses...

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page