Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

:Listening to...

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » The Monkey Hole » :Listening to... « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through September 05, 2002Anatomist25 9-5-02  1:57 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Crowlyman
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I can't wait for the new Sigur Ros album to come out. A friend and I are going to the Nov 10th show at the Riv.
Anatomist
Posted on Friday, September 6, 2002 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I just listened to that damn Coldplay disc about 4 times today as I painted a house. It's addictive. The new one is quite a bit better than the old one. The old one has more distinctive songs on it, but this one is almost more like an old Pink Floyd album - it's all one thing.

In addition to Coldplay, the new Neko Case, and the new Sleater Kinney, another quite impressive recent acquisition for me has been Alejandro Escovedo's A MAN UNDER THE INFLUENCE. I've seen him live a few times, too - the man is so expansive and eclectic it's difficult to believe, and never in a half-assed way. At the last show I saw, he played a stripped-down love ballad with only an accompanying cello that made the woman I was with cry, then followed immediately with a Ramones cover in which he broke a string...
Joalco
Posted on Friday, September 6, 2002 - 5:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Anatomist ~

I hadn't heard any Coldplay until a friend of mine played one of their CD's for me last weekend (I'm a hermit when it comes to most media outlets). I must say, I liked what I heard. It's definitely got a Radiohead feel to it -- I think I may have to delve a little deeper.
Joalco
Posted on Friday, September 6, 2002 - 5:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

My advice to all those entranced by this "new" rock movement: Fuck the Strokes. They're some closeted executive's wet-dream. A boy band for the hipster crowd. Tom Petty called -- he wants his riff back.

The White Stripes, the Vines, and the Hives I have nothing against; in fact most of what I've heard, I've liked.

However, if this music is up your alley, check out some of the bands from the last decade who have been doing similar stuff: Pussy Galore, the Makers, (old) JSBX, Boss Hog....

In the Mix:

Death Cab for Cutie - the Photo Album
Nash Kato - Debutante
Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Murder Ballads
My Bloody Valentine - Isn't Anything
Sigur Ros - Von
Crowlyman
Posted on Thursday, September 5, 2002 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sounds like my kind of thing...I knew it was out but I just hadn't had the chance to pick it up yet. I just included it in my Can't Wait For list since I didn't have it.
I heard part of the album on Mtv2's $2 Bill show last month. I wasn't much of a fan of the last album but this one seems really cool after what I heard/saw on the tele.
Anatomist
Posted on Thursday, September 5, 2002 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wait no longer for the new Coldplay. It came out about 2 weeks ago... It's a strange disc. At first it seemed a little dull, but now that I've listened a few times, I'm a bit hooked on it. Many of the songs are so similar to one another that the whole album seems blurred together, like one long song.
Crowlyman
Posted on Thursday, September 5, 2002 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

In my rotation:

PJ Harvey, Stories...etc
Stereolab, Transient...etc
Radiohead, The Bends
Pink Floyd, Animals
Wilco, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Krueder & Dorfmeister, Sessions
Bjork, Verpertine
plus a few select more

I can't wait for the new Sigur Ros album. The new Beck. And the new Coldplay.
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Thursday, September 5, 2002 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"See, her ex-boyfriend he didn't know about, he came busting in."

There is exactly one question involving ex-partners (and not involving STDs) that can and should be asked of a new sweetie: Have you ever dated anyone who might try to kill me?

The two acceptable answers are: No, of course not, or Yes, but he/she is safely incarcerated.

Otherwise, new lovers should be like virgins to each other. Virgins who are eerily sexually adept.
Bjacques
Posted on Thursday, September 5, 2002 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

What, you mean Hell House the Christian haunted house in the Dallas-Fort Worth area? Some firends of mine sneaked a camcorder into it 10 years ago. Now they have a Making of... video from whatever year Columbine was. In the Hell Room, the Devil is a goth who's making fun of all the damned souls under the floorboards.
_Blackjack
Posted on Thursday, September 5, 2002 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's kinda hard for me to compile a list, since my MP3 player has about 300 albums on it, on random shuffle. It's been playing a lot of \i<Sweeney Todd} this week. The morning's commute mix today was:

Waxie's Dargle - The Pogues
Hitsville UK - The Clash
Trouble's Braids - Tom Waits
Hero In His Own Mind - Space Ghost
Poor Thing - Sweeney Todd (Sondheim)
Were You There (When They Crucified My Lord) - Johnny Cash w/ June Carter
Orgasm Addict - The Buzzcocks
Twilight - Squirrel Nut Zippers
Day Tripper - Otis Redding
Pataphysician
Posted on Thursday, September 5, 2002 - 7:25 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

ELECTRONICA:
DJ Spooky
Paul Oakenfold
Mouse On Mars
Aphex Twin
DJ Shadow
Chemical Brothers
Wiseguys
"Constant Elevation" compilation

also:
The Who: "Lifehouse Demos"
Gorillaz
Rolling Stones: "Handsome Girls" (bootleg)
King Tubby
Anti-Pop Consortium
Nascentvirion
Posted on Thursday, September 5, 2002 - 7:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I see the Bauhaus CD "Gotham" in the cd store all the time, I think that may be all remastered. Not sure though.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page