Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through September 05, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » The Monkey Hole » :Listening to... » Archive through September 05, 2002 « Previous Next »

Anatomist
Posted on Thursday, September 5, 2002 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Damn, man. If you decide to switch jobs, I think they have a position for you over at Hell House. You'll be workin' for the Lord.
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Thursday, September 5, 2002 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The Bauhaus CD is goot, ya.

Very nice dynamic range... a happy thing since without bass, it just becomes auhaus, or maybe just aus.

Not complete, pointless even.

Todays Strangely Related Yet Unrelated Fact:

There was this guy who worked at this call center I was a supervisor at. Last name Bass. Very nice to know- cool, witty, good person. I remember him because he said 'damn, you the first person in this place that got my name right. Bass, not 'bass' like I was some kinda fish. You all right man.'

Two days later, he was lying dead in the bathtub of a girl he'd been dating for a week. See, her ex-boyfriend he didn't know about, he came busting in. She said 'you gotta hide! He'll kill you!!!'

So he stepped into the shower, closed the curtain.

But ex-boyfriend guy, he looked, he shot, he scored.

But I prefer to dwell on the good times- like that time he was glad I guessed right when I said 'bass' when I was trying to get him a login to the database so he could do his job and get his shitty wages.

And that time... no, wait. That was the only one.
Marccampbell
Posted on Wednesday, September 4, 2002 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

THE FROGS
Nolamour
Posted on Wednesday, September 4, 2002 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Variety...In no particular order.

Starlings, TN - The Leaper's Fork
Dead Boy and the Elephant Men
Ween - The Molusk
Vivaldi - All Concertos
Giacomo Puccini - Turandot
Paul Hardcastle
Boney James
Clearlight - The Mystic Crew of
Gipsy Kings - Gipsy Kings
Celtic Frost - Morbid Tales
Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny
The Best of Johnny Cash
Saint Vitus - V. or Born too late
Crowbar - Broken Glass, Odd fellows rest
Stevie Ray Vaughn - All
etc...

Nascentvirion...Good one - G.B.H.
Marc - Yea, Yea! - Cocteau Twins
Anatomist
Posted on Wednesday, September 4, 2002 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

That wasn't too satisfying. My fifteen-year-old cassette doesn't sound too good by today's standards. It sounded muddled and thin, with no sharpness in the high end, and no real bass whatsoever. I looked on CDNOW and they have a newer, greatest hits sort of thing by the same name. Does anyone know if they have remastered any of these CDs for improved sound quality?

I think their creepiest album was probably MASK. That shit with the doting old man at the end was too much. "Of Lillies and Remains"... "Hollow Hills"... oh, the memories.

The first time I heard BURNING FROM THE INSIDE was on one of my first acid trips. Up until then, I was in a very comfortable zone with my standard UFO, FLYING tape, and probably some Beatles and a little carton of cherry tomatoes. My friend, who put the tape in the box, suddenly turned into a very sinister and unpleasant character. Bauhaus was just too much at that time.
Anatomist
Posted on Wednesday, September 4, 2002 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I used to love IN THE FLAT FIELD. Hell, I used to love almost all Bauhaus. Damn, I think I'm going to dig up my old cassette right now...
Nascentvirion
Posted on Wednesday, September 4, 2002 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

1) The Dark - Best of the Dark
2) My Dying Bride- The Dreadful Hours
3) G.B.H- The Clay Recordings 81-83
4) Bauhaus- In the Flat Fields
5) Swordfish Soundtrack

Still want to get The Hives album.
Crowlyman
Posted on Wednesday, September 4, 2002 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

And I think I posted my views on Andrew WK before.
Crowlyman
Posted on Wednesday, September 4, 2002 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I gotta admit that i'm a little bit confused...
sometimes it seems to me as if i'm being abused...

I dont like the new peppers album that much...can't put my finger on it really...seems way too polished or something. Good music, well done, just boring to me. Venice Queen is awesome however.
Anatomist
Posted on Wednesday, September 4, 2002 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think the new Beth Orton album is some fine work, although it probably won't have the staying power in my rotation that CENTRAL RESERVATION had, or the collection of live acoustic MP3s I've amassed. I like TRAILER PARK too, but I seem to have a fundamentally different take on Orton than most. It seems like most people are into the techno-ness of the first album, whereas to me that just seems like window dressing that's mostly in the way. I have acoustic versions of some of the same songs and they're much better. Her strength is her clear, vulnerable voice and her songwriting, not a bunch of Chem Brothers computer bleeps. RESERVATION has the best songs, but less computer stuff, so I put that on top. BEST BIT (ep) is great too - the interplay with Terry Callier is interesting, and the influence of his weird free-jazzy tonal colorings shows up more on this new recording. This new one has a surprising amount of computer shit on it - almost as much as PARK, but it's not drawing as much attention to itself, which I think is good. The production should be in service to the songs and her voice, not vice-versa.
Marccampbell
Posted on Wednesday, September 4, 2002 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

White Stripes
1,2,3 Soleils
Cocteau Twins (everything)
Love's FOREVER CHANGES
Jeff Buckley (tho, it makes me cry. what a loss)
Patti Smith (all of it)
Red Hot Chili Peppers (the nu one has some cool tracks. The only Peppers I own)
Andrew wk (he's replaced Moby as the tv's new jingle boy. but the shit does rock)
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Wednesday, September 4, 2002 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

A Ramones live album,
Buddy Guy (going to see him tomorrow hopefully)
T-bone Walker,
Siouxsie and the Banshees,
Leonard Cohen,
Wumpscut.
Crowlyman
Posted on Wednesday, September 4, 2002 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

A friend of mine played a live cut of one of Radiohead's new songs from some live show in Lisbon (i think). It's called Mixmatosis and is quite good. Neither Kid A nor Amnesiac but all Radiohead. Great groove in the middle of the song.
Pataphysician
Posted on Wednesday, September 4, 2002 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Buzzcocks, Clash, Sex Pistols:
MIDNIGHT SPECIAL AT SCREEN ON THE GREEN
live August 29, 1976 (Bootleg)
Angryp
Posted on Wednesday, September 4, 2002 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

In my rotation now:

1) Tift Merritt "Bramble Rose"
2) Lone Justice "This World is Not My Home"
3) Cowboy Junkies "Open"
4) Cowboy Junkies "Lay it Down"
5) Sean Mullins "Eggshells"
6) Carole King "Rhymes and Reasons"
Pataphysician
Posted on Wednesday, September 4, 2002 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I just found it as a cut-out CD. I got it on the strength of the Pottinger name, because I love what she did with Culture (the group). She was an incredible producer and sadly underappreciated. And, of course, because it's called Gay Feet.

I hear that Lee Scratch Perry is coming out with a live compilation of his recent shows.
Marccampbell
Posted on Wednesday, September 4, 2002 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

pata,

I own that reggae record.
Pataphysician
Posted on Wednesday, September 4, 2002 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Gay Feet
Marccampbell
Posted on Wednesday, September 4, 2002 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The new Beth Orton is a disappointment. It ain't
no TRAILER PARK.
Anatomist
Posted on Wednesday, September 4, 2002 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

You know, I never bothered to even buy AMNESIAC. I forgot. I guess that says something.
Joalco
Posted on Wednesday, September 4, 2002 - 7:17 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm a Bends man myself. Lot of good memories associated with that record. OK Computer was really good too. I find myself listening to Amnesiac fairly often, but not so much with Pablo Honey or Kid A.

In my CD player now:

Urge Overkill - Exit the Dragon
Dillinger Escape Plan & Mike Patton - Irony is a Dead Scene
Tom Waits - The Heart of Saturday Night
Meg Lee Chin - Piece & Love
Coil - Horse Rotorvator
Anatomist
Posted on Wednesday, September 4, 2002 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

THE BENDS is the best, but OK is great too. I thought Kid A was good as background music, but didn't have anywhere near the staying power on my CD rotation.

Incidentally, I just got the new Coldplay CD, which was touted in some review as being similar to BENDS-era Radiohead... obviously no license is required to practice music reviewery. I don't see THE BENDS in it at all, but it is starting to grow on me.

With new CD's just out by Sleater Kinney, Neko Case, Beth Orton... figuring out what to listen to next is becoming a dilemma.
Marccampbell
Posted on Tuesday, September 3, 2002 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Boy did I dislike Kid A. Radiohead went down the tubes after THE BENDS.
Joalco
Posted on Tuesday, September 3, 2002 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

...and debatably the best song on Kid A. I've found myself listening to "Amnesiac" more often as of late.
Crowlyman
Posted on Tuesday, September 3, 2002 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Idioteque from Radiohead right now. Damn that song is great.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page