Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Am I Blue?

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Arts & Other Philosophical Sundries » Am I Blue? « Previous Next »

Befade
Posted on Monday, September 16, 2002 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Laurie Anderson is very cool to see in person. Small person. Big voice. (Not loud, big.) And she does the voice sex change thing, too.
Barsnake
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

Good evening. This is your Captain.
We are about to attempt a crash landing.
Please extinuish all cigarettes.
Place your tray tables in their
upright, locked position.
Your Captain says: Put your head on your knees.
Your Captain says: Put your head on your hands.
Captain says: Put your hands on your head.
Put your hands on your hips. Heh heh.

Ya Ya
Alphasoixante
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

laurie anderson's 'big science' is gorgeous and staggering and sublime. if you listen to it end-to-end and listen closely enough your feet will lose contact with the ground for approximately .0035 seconds.
Barsnake
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I agree with you regarding half of Laurie Anderson's stuff. But I really like the other half...
Sharkey's Night from Mr Heartbreak with William S. Burrough's was great.
Also - there's a compilation on Rhino Records that has some duets with Lou Reed - gotta hear that!
Anatomist
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

In Laurie Anderson's work, the music is subordinate to all kinds of high-falutin' art concept eggheadery - just about on the opposite pole of what I'm into. I read through one of her books which contained sketches and notes for one of her shows once, and found it pretty captivating though... morso than the videos I had previously seen from the show itself.
Barsnake
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Uhh...
Laurie Anderson??
Anatomist
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's been many years since I heard Nina Hagen, but my relationship to the music could not be aptly characterized as gravitational. The word 'caterwauling' comes to mind though...
Barsnake
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

I gravitate towards stuff that is emotional or personal or purely sensual

Nina Hagen!
Raschied
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yup, the show hasn't evolved as much as I would like. It's the same skits, with a little modification depending on venue. However, the fact that each of their skits depends on the audience makes it a little different each night.

They are doing a second album, due out in February. I really liked the fact that they mixed down the first album in 5.1 to start with, then went back and mixed the 2 channel CD. The DVD release came quick, and it's one of my best examples to show of the surround sound system. It sounds like you are sitting in the middle of a big drum circle. Very tribal.
Pataphysician
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I saw REM in 1983, cause I loved "Murmur". I loved it for the mushy sound -- I had no idea they were political, I couldn't make out the words. But their next album sounded so conventional and I lost interest in them. I understand they became kinda popular.
Anatomist
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 6:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I remember that about half my interest in REM was lost when I heard 'Stand'. I thought there were a few good songs on the album, though, so I was still there. Then the next album came out, featuring the horrific 'Shiny Happy People', and nothing else half as good as even the last half-assed album. I took that one to the used CD store shortly after to retrieve $5 trade-in credit. I don't think I've listened to them since. If you like what REM once was, you might try late Uncle Tupelo, or the first two Son Volt albums - especially TRACE. They seem somehow related, although Son Volt is darker, harder, and more countryish.
Bjacques
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 4:57 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I saw them in the early '90s in Houston, in Diverse Works, a small warehouse space. They were pretty entertaining. Trouble is, Raschied, your description matches the show I saw. It's good, but you'd think they'd have changed it over time. There's actually a soundtrack, though, and it's pretty good; arty background music to work to.
Bob_Chong
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Anatomist makes a great point. I can almost pinpoint when I lost all interest in REM: it was right after seeing them live in 1989 and realizing that the entire concert, from the setlist to the visual fx, were all one gigantic propaganda piece. Didn't matter what the message was; I knew that the audience was intentionally being manipulated.

I would have lost interest in them sooner or later anyway, but that sure hastened the process. Besides, I was living in New Orleans at the time, and there was much better music around.
Anatomist
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Political art and music, or any such that explicitly depends on references current events was never my thing anyway. Especially music. Music has a very immediate connection with emotion and body sensation - to wed it a bunch of abstract political shit about specific times and places and theories about hordes of people I don't know just seems like a disingenuous scam to me. Most visual art too. The words 'propaganda' and 'manipulation' come to mind - lets soften 'em up and get 'em labile with these sights and sounds, then we can colonize their unsuspecting brain with our ideology. I gravitate towards stuff that is emotional or personal or purely sensual, and in which the work seems to be coming from a place with sincerity and lack of ulterior motives. Politics, philosophy, or any other sort of complex eggheadery seems more appropriate to words.
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I didn't get it either- thanks for the explanation.

I was sitting there on my dialup going 'yeah, paper. If something doesn't happen soon... is this looped... sure looks like paper.... mmmyep.'
Chevalier
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Check out the subtopic entitled "The other September 11" -- it's in the Monkey Hole.

Since 1973, those grainy b/w photos of the Moneda Palace under attack have been reproduced and tinkered with by dozens of Latin American artists.
Pataphysician
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

HINT: From now on, everything is about 9/11.
Anatomist
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

That never occurred to me. There was no date on it and I don't know anything about the layout of NYC. Plus, I was too busy working and getting my truck rammed by a taxicab to pay attention to any of the memorial hoopla yesterday. As usual, I had no real awareness of the date or day of the week. I guess that there art is for smart people.
Pataphysician
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

HINT: It's about 9/11.
Marccampbell
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

so what else is new?
Anatomist
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 2:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I watched the whole thing.
I don't get it.
Verawench
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

http://www.exhibit13.com/
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Monday, September 9, 2002 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

B-B-B-bob!

Ch-Ch-Ch-chong, ahead of his time, that head.

Wh-where is our h-head?

Wait! In our p-pa....
Marccampbell
Posted on Monday, September 9, 2002 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

raschied,

the guys from the Vegas Blue Man Group were regulars at my Vegas nightclub. Good people.
Bob_Chong
Posted on Monday, September 9, 2002 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Bring back Max Headroom.
Raschied
Posted on Monday, September 9, 2002 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

A lot of their act depends on modern cultural ref's, like the Captain Crunch bit, and the Twinkie bit. I think the stab at modern art they do is timeless, though. Plus, the drumming kicks major ass.

Have you been to a show? If you are only familiar with their TV appearances or Intel ads (puke) then you haven't been exposed to them. It's really a live experience, and the show is a little different each time because of the audience interaction. If you are gonna go for the first time, go to either New York or Chicago (never been to Boston, so I can't judge the theatre there.)

I don't think the Vegas venue is as good, simply because it's too big. You miss out having the personal interaction. They do throw the marshmallows further, though.
Mogan_David
Posted on Sunday, September 8, 2002 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have a feeling that in 2015 we'll be making fun of the Blue Man Group the same as we make fun of mullet hair styles. It's one of those things that define a decade, extremely fashionable in it's time, but totally hokey later.
Raschied
Posted on Sunday, September 8, 2002 - 5:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Just saw Blue Man Group for the 5th time, this time in NYC. Any other fans out there?

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page