Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through September 03, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Fountains » Archive through September 03, 2002 « Previous Next »

Traineraz
Posted on Tuesday, September 3, 2002 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Seen at Home Despot this weekend, in with the drill bits:

Glass and Tile Cutting Bits

(for regular drills)
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Tuesday, September 3, 2002 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Go to a stained glass supply shop.

You can get a water cooled glass grinder (which will also make you a hole) for cheap. It does not drill- it abrades, slowly.

Having drilled many a hole in many a piece of glass without shattering, I tell you this: Patience is your best friend. Gentle pressure, and don't let anything slip.

If the little abrader thingie is not going to make a big enough hole (and it probably wont for any respectable spigot) once you have your hole, you can enlarge it, just moving your piece in a circle around the grindy thing.
Chevalier
Posted on Monday, September 2, 2002 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Gelroos, I found the brass stands here:

http://www.phoenixorion.com/phoenixorion/brasstands3.htm

For plaster stands (columns, plinths and pedestals), try "Arkahdia Arts Studio". It's a small NY manufacturer of plaster pieces. They don't have a webpage per se, but you can see a page from their catalog here:

http://lowprice4u.com/arkahdia/catalog/Image11_med.jpg

Their distributor's phone number is (914) 421-2884.
Gelroos
Posted on Monday, September 2, 2002 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I like the globe stands for the new globe fountain I am trying. I looked at several of the "marble" like stands and had trouble finding ones that were attractive up close without being so heavy that shipping would be practically impossible. For my personal stand I use a solid hunk of uncut quartz about 14" tall, but it is very heavy and would increase shipping costs to an unsightly amount. Where did you get the images of the globe stands, maybe I can found out who their supplier is.
Chevalier
Posted on Monday, September 2, 2002 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Last one.

my picture
Chevalier
Posted on Monday, September 2, 2002 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Chevalier
Posted on Monday, September 2, 2002 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Or something like this? An inexpensive plaster or majolica version would be ideal.

my picture
Chevalier
Posted on Monday, September 2, 2002 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Chevalier
Posted on Monday, September 2, 2002 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Chevalier
Posted on Monday, September 2, 2002 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Gelroos, here are several ideas for stands (without the quartz globes, of course). These two are 7" tall; you could probably adapt them for fountain use.

my picture my picture
Crowlyman
Posted on Sunday, September 1, 2002 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Bellypock, you're from Chicago? I'm in the area as well.

:D
Gelroos
Posted on Sunday, September 1, 2002 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am trying to make a 4 tap out of a hollow globe, w/ the top sliced off about 75% of the way up the sides. It will be suspended from holes in the rim by decorative silk rope to a metal stand that is above it, with the legs coming down and resting on the counter top. The only probelm I am having is the globes are beastly difficult to melt/drill without shattering,deforming so they no longer are true globes, or so the taps are pointed incorrectly (i.e. off center or angled left and right). But thanx for the suggestions, keep em coming
Greenmeanie
Posted on Sunday, September 1, 2002 - 7:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Gelroos,
Thanks for the updated photo! The base looks cool. Kinda modern. No beligerance, just constructive criticism: Try finding a vessel that is not so vase looking. Otherwise, I think you are on to something here!!
Thegreenimp
Posted on Saturday, August 31, 2002 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You need to use a diamond drill bit made for drilling glass. (W.W. Grainger Co.)
Using a drill press or milling machine is essential, to drilling a hole with out cracking the glass.......Stabilising the work in a V block and clamping, or making a jig, to hold everything in place, will aid in getting a decent hole drilled, with out damage.
Running at a slow speed, and cooling the the bit with Jet,(bum a small amount from a machinist) or mineral oil is a good idea.
The main trick is to have a drill press, but a milling machine works the best, and go slow.
Jay
Wolfgang
Posted on Saturday, August 31, 2002 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I`ve failled at drilling a hole in some piece of glass to make a dripper. The glass always break when I wash it later. It was a special king of glass that goes in the oven, maybe that`s why. I didn`t cooled with water while drilling doo, your play-doh idea sounds good.
Bellypock
Posted on Saturday, August 31, 2002 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Secure the glass so it doesn't move. Use some clay, Play-Doh, or something of the sort to make a well around the area you're drilling. Put water into the well (it cools things off and keeps glass 'filings' out of the way). Drill SLOWLY (low RPMs) and try to keep the drill from wiggling a round as much as possible. If you can get an abrasive on the bit (diamond, etc.) it's better, but not absolutely necessary. I would suggest practicing a couple of times on some scrap first to get the hang of what speed to keep the drill at. A bottle would probably be a pretty good test run as well.

BTW, Hi. Been lurking for a few weeks, and just registered.

Eric
Mogan_David
Posted on Saturday, August 31, 2002 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I would think a hole could be drilled with a polishing stone, the kind you find in a Dremmel kit.

MD
Traineraz
Posted on Saturday, August 31, 2002 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Good idea, crowly. No legal issues about learning to drill glass. :)
Zman7
Posted on Saturday, August 31, 2002 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The brass spigots can be obtained from Clay Art center in Tacoma Washington, USA.
The link is:
http://www.clayartcenter.com/aftosa_pumps.htm

The tricky part is to drill the glass without shattering it.
Gelroos
Posted on Saturday, August 31, 2002 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Revised pic, which includes base and glass w/ spoon under fountain, has been added to auction, other views are available, if interested please email.
Crowlyman
Posted on Saturday, August 31, 2002 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Maybe we should start a "Fountain Making" thread. I, for one, would love to learn how to make myself a fountain. I just don't know where to start let alone where to find that kind of spigot.
Gelroos
Posted on Saturday, August 31, 2002 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am attempting to redo the pics for the 1 tap. Pardon my slowness but I am still kinda new to all this. I realize I should have put a pic up of the fountain in action on a base dripping into a glass. I tend to get a bit excited about things and just want to hurry up get it posted. Hopefully by this evening there will be an updated pic of the fountain on the base dripping into a glass so you can get an idea of the relative sizes of everything. As for the comment that it may not be worth purchasing, by all means, make your own. I am not really here to do this as a business, as you may have guessed by my inexperience, but merely to provide something that I wound up making for myself and others because I wanted an inexpensive fountain that didn't look like a water jug. My costs actually run quite a bit more than $5, between the decorative tap, the glass vessel and the stone base, plus the time to mount the spigot and not crack/melt the glass, it actually is a bit of a process. If someone else wants to provide these, I will happily keep quiet. I am not trying to "push" anyone into anything. If you are interested, email me, if not then keep the criticisms coming, I will endeavor to make any improvements I can without turning this into a "real business"
Greenmeanie
Posted on Saturday, August 31, 2002 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Gelroos, Can you post a picture of the base?
Gelroos
Posted on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The base is included just not pictured, read descrip below in my original post.
Traineraz
Posted on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Not to be rude or sarcastic, since we all know I would NEVER, but . . . um . . . $100 for a thrift-store vase with a spigot stuck in it? I could put that together for under $5, and most of that would be for the spigot.

Something to keep in mind . . . An absinthe fountain should drip SLOWLY into the glass. Most people won't hold a glass under the edge of the counter for 10-15 minutes while the Salvation Army Absinthe Fountain does its thing. Try a base under it, raising the spigot ABOVE the glass.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page