Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through September 07, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Arts & Other Philosophical Sundries » test » FILM FORUM » Archive through September 07, 2002 « Previous Next »

Raschied
Posted on Saturday, September 7, 2002 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

As far as XXX went, I guess that's what made it sooo fun, and a "guilty pleasure" for me. It was ripped straight from the action flicks of the '80s. Hell, most of my friends are still quoting movies like "Aliens" and "Ghostbusters." It was fun to see a new film that captured the spirit of '80s action movies.

"You gotta stop thinkin' regular army and start thinkin' Playstation. Blow some shit up!"

Woo's stuff rocks, but it's missing the campy dialogue.
Raschied
Posted on Monday, September 2, 2002 - 6:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yep. I got a dose of The Shield. Good stuff, that kicks NYPD Blue's sorry fat wimpering ass.
Bob_Chong
Posted on Sunday, September 1, 2002 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, it's not a movie but a TV show: the Shield. It is the fucking tits! It is the best show on TV since Homicide. I just finished watching the last three episodes of season 1 on tape last night. Great stuff.

I urge everyone to give this show a try. It's on FX. I don't see it listed this week, but I am sure they will re-run season 1 at least one more time before season 2 starts in January.

You won't be disappointed. Marc, I think you'd dig it a lot.
Marccampbell
Posted on Sunday, September 1, 2002 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

raschied,

XXX brought nothing new to the mix. As you pointed out, Schwartzenegger and Stallone did this shit back in the '80s. John Woo upped the ante in action flicks with The Killer and
Hardboiled. It seems nobody involved with XXX
took the time to check out Hong Kong Cinema.
Full Contact, Naked Killer, Bullet To The Head,
A Better Tomorrow...all have more imaginative and over-the-top action scenes than XXX.

the only reason to see XXX:

http://www.darkdreams.org/asia6.html
Raschied
Posted on Sunday, September 1, 2002 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

XXX took me back to being 14 again, with all the zits and raging hormones. It was a terrible move that will never win any Oscars, but it's the new generation to the Schwarzenegger and Stalone films of the 80's. It was quotable, it had of lots of shit blowing up, completely improbable stunts, and an extremely hot chiqa.
Crowlyman
Posted on Sunday, September 1, 2002 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I can't even believe that movie made as much as it did...Nevermind, I CAN believe it: I'm American.
Marccampbell
Posted on Sunday, September 1, 2002 - 2:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

If XXX is guilty pleasure, than having your testicles torn from your body is ecstasy. What an awful movie. Its only saving grace is the dark beauty of Asia Argento.
Raschied
Posted on Friday, August 9, 2002 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

There is a flaming Czech absinth (sic) moment in the beginning of "XXX", which is an extreme guilty pleasure of a movie.
Sicboy13
Posted on Friday, August 9, 2002 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I just watched a movie called "Session 9"

I found it to be quite creepy and disturbing, and that was just David Caruso's head!

No, seriously, any thoughts on this film. I havent written much because I dont know what has and has not been covered, if at all.
Bjacques
Posted on Thursday, August 8, 2002 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Had a "Most Dangerous Game" double feature at work last night: Battle Royale and Series 7: The Contenders. I recommend them both.
Angryp
Posted on Wednesday, August 7, 2002 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Recently bought Amelie on DVD, too. Wonderful movie. The commentary by the director is pretty amusing, too.

Might as well add to the list mania

Faves-
Moulin Rouge - Good DVD, too. Lots of extras
Almost Famous - the "Untitled" director's cut
Saving Private Ryan
Apollo 13 - I'm a complete space nut
Gattaca - Great production design
Mediterraneo - Sappy, but very nice
La Reine Margot
The Seven Samurai
Sanjuro
Tampopo - Itami was a film god
Minbo - Itami was a film god
A Taxing Woman - Itami was a film god (it's too bad he's no longer with us)
Pulp Fiction - It's beginning to loose its novelty, though.
Sense and Sensibility - The Emma Thompson version
Big Trouble in Little China
A Clockwork Orange
Clerks
Annie Hall
Sleeper
Time Bandits
Topsy-Turvy

Guilty Pleasures-
The Craft - I know it's stupid, cheesy, and a not too accurate deptiction of modern paganism, but it was fun, dammit.
Sleepy Hollow - For the mood and production design, if not the story
Zero Effect
Stargate
Silverado
Pleasantville

Honorable Mentions (cause they're miniseries)-
From the Earth to the Moon
Band of Brothers
Pride and Prejudice - the more recent adaptation
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Love that color!
Admin
Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

oh lordy, does it! it has a couple hours worth of extra stuff. here's the scoop:

Edition Details:
• Region 1 encoding (US and Canada only)
• Color
• Theatrical trailer(s)
• The Making of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
• Don't Panic!
• Douglas Adams Omnibus (tribute program)
• Recording of the radio series
• Optional on-screen production notes
• Deleted scene from episode 2
• Photo gallery
• Peter Jones introduction
• Pebble Mill at One
• Tomorrow's World sequence
• Number of discs: 2
2loucheltrec
Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

kallisti, thanx for the heads up! now i can retire my laserdisc version. what kinda extra goodies did they put on the dvd?
Admin
Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Alert! Alert!

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy has been released on dvd.

This makes me inexpressibly happy.
Raschied
Posted on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The Koyannisqatsi and Powasqatsti movies are finally making a widespread DVD release on September 12th. I'm gonna have a party at my house. The films were available before only contacting the producer, and he would burn a "limited edition" DVD for you for around $200. My VHS tape I scored years ago has a big 'dead' section in the middle of it.
Pikkle
Posted on Friday, July 26, 2002 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wow... I'll be sure NOT TO BUY THAT!!!
Nascentvirion
Posted on Friday, July 26, 2002 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Interesting DVD note ...

Lord of the Rings comes out August 6 on DVD
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, July 26, 2002 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nope, he's Chilean-Polish. But "El Topo" was made in Mexico.
Bjacques
Posted on Friday, July 26, 2002 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

If you think El Topo was weird, rent Holy Mountain (1970?). A street kid whose best friend is a quadruple amputee and who lives in a warehouse full of plaster crucified Jesuses (Jesi?), climbs up the side of a gratuitous tower in the markeplace. There he meets a magician straight out of Tarot Card #1, who sends him on a quest with the eight most powerful people in the world, in search of ultimate wisdom. Then it just gets weird. Very funny ending (I thought so, anyway.

Santa Sangre (Holy Blood) (1980s). A young circus performer is ordered by his armless mother (her knife-thrower husband caught her making time with the lion-tamer) to kill people. Music by Perez Prado.

Jodorowsky wanted to make the movie of Dune, and shopped around designs by H. R. Giger. He probably would have made an even bigger mess of it than David Lynch, but I would really loved to have seen it.

Since then, Jodorowsky has collaborated with French illustrator Moebius to produce the graphic novel The Incal Light and a sequel or two.

I thought Jodorwsky is Mexican, of Polish extraction.
Pataphysician
Posted on Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The greatest movie ever made, the Citizen Kane of film, if you will: THE GREAT ROCK'N'ROLL SWINDLE. "The story of four unlovable spikey-tops"
Marccampbell
Posted on Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Back in the '70s I used to go to a theater in Denver to see midnight screenings of EL TOPO. It blew me away. Jodorowsky can change your way of looking at the world.
Thegreenimp
Posted on Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

One that I would love to see make it to DVD, is Betty Blue........pref. the directors cut with all the footage restored.
Shame it's not avail in the USA.......I still have the original laser disc, but that format is all but dead unfortunately.
Jay
Artemis
Posted on Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I meant to write Jack Nicholson, not Jack Nicklaus, of course, in Missouri Breaks.

One-Eyed Jacks is good, too. Not too many westerns go as far west as Monterey.

Zardoz is well regarded by people who like quirky movies, but it's been so long since I've seen it, I remember almost nothing of it.

Some movies are great because they are simply, I think the word is, "atmospheric". I really like those. Even if there is nothing else, atmosphere is often enough for me. Halloween has it. Picnic at Hanging Rock, also. From Hell. Although those three offer much more than atmosphere.

In some movies, the dialog is so witty and funny, that alone would be enough - Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. Although it also offers much more.

Some movies are pure, clean, and unadorned, like a nice Pontarlier absinthe: El Mariachi.

Sexy: Like Water for Chocolate.

Redefine what a movie can be: Reservoir Dogs.
Jesus of Montreal. Saving Private Ryan.

And yes, that was The Party with Peter Sellers. Hilarious. The Fox was his best movie IMO.

Peter as the Fox, Aldo Vanucci: "If only I could steal enough to become honest!"
Chevalier
Posted on Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Two very fine films by Chilean directors:

EL TOPO (dir. Alejandro Jodorowsky)

Includes an extremely rare filmed performance by Country Joe and the Fish, playing an Old West hippie band called "The Crackers". NY Times critic Pauline Kael wrote:

"The movie may seem bewildering, however, because the narrative is overlaid with a clutter of symbols and ideas. Jodorowsky employs anything that can give the audience a charge, even if the charges are drawn from different systems of thought that are -- *as thought* -- incompatible.... Well, of course, you don't need erudition to draw on matters religious and philosophical that way -- any dabbler can do it. All you need is a theatrical instinct and a talent for (a word I once promised myself never to use) frisson. Jodorowsky is... a director for whom ideas are sensuous entities -- sensuous toys, really, to be played with. By piling onto the Western man-with-no-name righteous-avenger form elements from Eastern fables, Catholic symbolism, and so on, Jodorowsky achieves a kind of comic-strip mythology. And when you play with ideas this way, promiscuously -- with thoughts and enigmas and with symbols of human suffering -- the resonances get so thick and confused that the game may seem not just theatre but labyrinthine, 'deep': a masterpiece."

TESIS (dir. Alejandro Amenàbar)

Amenàbar also directed "The Others" and the better precursor of "Vanilla Sky", ABRE LOS OJOS.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page