Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Glass Question

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Glass Question « Previous Next »

Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think it`s a nice glass, you should be happy sipping from it soon even if it`s not a pontarlier.
Tavarua
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 6:27 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am familiar with the Pontarliers, use to be hell bent on getting one. If you remember, I spoke with you about picking one up a while back. For some reason, it just stuck in my head that this was one that I had seen somewhere, even though it didnít have the trademark characteristics. Anyway, last year I had blown a large portion of my money on various necessities and other random things, so I havenít had the funds to play with and basically just cut off my interests in Absinthe. Wolvie was the nail in the coffin. I would not have made this mistake last fall. I do appreciate everyoneís feedback. By the way AbsintheDrinker, you have a great site, itís a one of the better places to reference vintage glasses on the web.
Absinthedrinker
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The classic Pontarlier glass has a reservoir that swells out from where it connects with the bottom of the glass and extends down towards the base with either no stem or a very short one. They are usually cut but can be found plain. It takes its name from the painting by Charles Maire.
Tavarua
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yea, I just got done fishing around and found similiar glasses. I've been away too long, and then jump into something without doing a little bit of research first. My own fault. Oh well, can't say that I'm disappointed though, at least it's one of the deeper reservoir glasses.
Petermarc
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

reservoir, not pontarlier...price is better than fair...looks original and good...what oxygénée said...relax, a little, until you have it in your hands...
Timk
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Its definitely not a pontarlier, I have one exactly the same that cost me about $120 - my first gless, from levannoir - nice glass though.
Tavarua
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oxygenee, I know that you are an authority on these issues, however, I may not be certain that you are correct. I only say this because it bears a very close resemblance to a glass that was on either Frenchmanís or Steveís website a while back, listed as a Pontarlier. I may be wrong, this might not be the exact glass, or it may have been listed on incorrectly, which I doubt because both of these sellers are known for their honesty. I will say that it does not resemble the typical Pontarlier that it is often seen, but I know there are a few variations. Unfortunately, right now I am not in a position to go back and dig around, but I will tonight. Regardless, I have seen this cut list for about $270 on the few occasions when someone has one to sell. Again, I could be wrong, I am just getting back into the hobby and my memory could be a little warped.
Thegreenimp
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Have you asked the seller if it is a reservoir glass,.... or is it a Lyonaise (similiar looking glass, no reservoir).
Jay
Oxygenee
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The glass is a standard reservoir, not a Pontarlier. Its a genuine old glass, not a copy. The price is a little on the high side compared to what they fetch in France, but pretty much in the ballpark if you bought it from one of the online absinthe antique vendors. Overall, you did fine. Relax.
Wolfgang
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Is it a pontarlier or just a reservoir glass ?
Tavarua
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Need some help on this one from the serious glass collectors, Peter. I recently say a Pontarlier on Ebay and figured Iíd give it a shot. Anyway, I set up an auction sniper and forgot about it. So I check in after the auction and find that I won it for price that is substantially lower than itís worth. I am a little concerned about sending the money in before I get some feedback, itís still a good bit of money. It looks like the real deal, but something smells rotten. Are their copies of this cut floating around the market right now, or are there any other reasons why I should be concerned?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=904614914

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page