Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through September 11, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Arts & Other Philosophical Sundries » test » FILM FORUM » Archive through September 11, 2002 « Previous Next »

Barsnake
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Marc -
I agree that it was not bad...I saw it about a hundred times when it first came out - to the point that I could snooze through Richie Havens and wake up for Ten Years After. It has lived to be a great timeslice.
It does seem typical of the Berkeley crowd to stand outside of an event and protest instead of inquiring as to its real significance and then deciding as to its worthiness.
Marccampbell
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

poker,

In the late '60s, the hippie thing was being commercialized/media-hyped to the point of absurdity. You could buy peace sign patches for your blue jeans at K-Mart. Nixon had appeared on tv and said "sock it to me". The Manson Family Murders were being used by the press and politicians to demonize the entire counter-culture. Along comes Warner Bros. with its "3 days of peace and love" promotional campaign. In the meantime, Vietnam was raging. So, the hippie culture was being demonized and sanitized into
extinction. Why? Because we were winning. The anti-war movement was effective. In their desperation to silence the left, politicians and their media lackeys were depicting anyone with long hair as a sociopath (Manson) or a clown rolling around naked in the mud (Woodstock). But,
in the meantime, suburban kids were flocking to the film Woodstock and probably experiencing their first taste of rock and roll freedom. So, maybe it wasn't all that bad.
Pokerface11
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm surprised about a boycott of Woodstock. It's a lovefest to a lovefest. WB did your generation a service, not a disservice.
Pokerface11
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's the average Joe who has the most at stake, Marc. If it weren't for the constitutional freedoms the average Joe has in the United States, we could be living in a repressive state like Afghanistan was under the Taliban. The people in power will almost always be above it all.
Marccampbell
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

poker,

I am trying to avoid most of the 9/11 related television programming. Jennifer breaks down everytime there's a shot of the Towers burning. Last night, I saw the special on NYC firefighters and their experiences at ground zero on 9/11. It was inspiring but terribly sad. No matter what your political position is on 9/11 and its aftermath, these fireman are genuine heroes. They had no other agenda than to save lives. While people were running from the burning buildings, the firefighters were running into them. These are gutsy working class guys who put their own lives on the line. Unlike politicians, these guys walk the walk. 343 firemen died in those buildings. Has there been a single politician lost in our war on terrorism? Not that there should be. But has there? It really is the average Joe that gets fucked in these wars. On both sides.

I've never seen WOODSTOCK from beginning to end. When it was released, I remember boycotting it, along with alot of other hipsters, for being a co-option of the counter-culture - Warner Bros. attempt to commercialize the Aquarian Age. When WOODSTOCK opened in Berkeley, there was no one in the theater, but there were hundreds outside protesting.
Pokerface11
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi, Marc. How are you feeling today? I started watching WOODSTOCK this morning. It has been a real tonic for my year-old memories.
Marccampbell
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

billy, I saw YOU'RE A BIG BOY NOW when I was 16 years old. For some reason I thought it starred Robert Morse. Then I realized I was confusing it with HOW TO SUCCEED IN BUSINESS WITHOUT REALLY TRYING. Both take place in New York City of the '60s. Other than that, I don't know why I confuse the two.
Billyweeds
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 6:24 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"You're a Big Boy Now" is IMO a truly terrible film, one of the early films of Francis Ford Coppola which convinced me his career would go nowhere fast, which says a lot for my powers of prognostication. The film incorporates every cliche of the coming-of-age film and features a charmless Peter Kastner in the lead. Elizabeth Hartman, so wonderful in "A Patch of Blue," is clueless at comedy.
Marccampbell
Posted on Tuesday, September 10, 2002 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

CQ dir. Roman Coppola.

CQ is an homage to just about every '60s film
that cinephiles have an affection for. Its a film about a young director making a Barbarellaesque
film in 1969. He's a serious filmmaker (in the style of the French new wave) confronting the compromises of making a commercial movie. Its a film within a film. One contains echoes of Godard's CONTEMPT, Truffaut's Antoine Doinel films, and a dash of Fellini (particularly 8 1/2). The other (the sci-fi flick), recalls the films of Roger Vadim and Mario Bava (DANGER DIABOLICK).
CQ is fun but slight. Roman Coppola (Francis's
son) has a gift for duplicating a retro vibe, much as his sister, Sofia, did in THE VIRGIN SUICIDES. He's helped by a synth-pop soundtrack by Mellow and wonderful mod sets designed Dean Tavoularis (CANDY, ZABRISKIE POINT).
The acting is very fine. Jeremy Davies does a respectable imitation of Truffaut star Jean Pierre Leaud and there are cameos by John Phillip Law (BARBERELLA) Giancarlo Gianini (Wertmuller regular) and Gerard Depardieu (must weigh 300 lbs.I'd like to see him wrestle Brando). This is also the film debut of Angela Lindvall. She may be one of the most beautiful human beings I've ever seen. She looks like the young Charlotte Rampling. I recommend the film. It reminded me of coming of angst flicks like LORD LOVE A DUCK and another Coppola (Francis) film YOU'RE A BIG BOY NOW.
Billyweeds
Posted on Tuesday, September 10, 2002 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Now I've made it too!
Marccampbell
Posted on Tuesday, September 10, 2002 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

welcome shayne.
Shayne
Posted on Tuesday, September 10, 2002 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Guys and Gals I made it ! Now where is Xerxes?
Anatomist
Posted on Tuesday, September 10, 2002 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Time for me to watch the LUZHIN DEFENSE. Had to get it on VHS because I live in hell and am at the mercy of the local Blockbuster. I'm a sucker for Emily Watson.
Anatomist
Posted on Tuesday, September 10, 2002 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, but I couldn't tell much about him. For some reason I remember skipping over much of what he said...
Marccampbell
Posted on Tuesday, September 10, 2002 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

anatomist,

you've run into xerxes on the Times forum, haven't you?
Anatomist
Posted on Tuesday, September 10, 2002 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Is Xerxes an old man with a limp noodle and a bad ticker? or just a prig?
Marccampbell
Posted on Tuesday, September 10, 2002 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

anatomist,

you're the perfect welcoming committee.

If xerxes shows up, he'll take one look at that photo and have a heart attack.
Pokerface11
Posted on Tuesday, September 10, 2002 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Anatomist,

Nice to see you in your own environment. I'd do as you suggest, but the rerun of the two-hour finale of Season 6 of "Buffy" is on in one minute. I shall not miss Willow flaying Warren and slaying him up in a puff of smoke.

Oh ok. One FUCK!!!
Anatomist
Posted on Tuesday, September 10, 2002 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Poker,

The first thing you should probably do is take advantage of the freedom here.

For instance, you might want to type: Fuck, Fuck, Fucky-fuck! Ahh!

or, perhaps you feel the need to post some full frontal nudity:

gracen

You get the idea... this ain't the NYTimes. Just don't threaten to kill people, divulge their secrets, or talk about home distillery, and you'll be fine.
Marccampbell
Posted on Tuesday, September 10, 2002 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

To my friends in the absinthe forum:

I invited some of the folks from The New York Times Film Forum to join us here to talk about movies. Some of us were frustrated with the way things are moderated in the Times forum. Its tightass. Please make them feel welcome. They're good people.

kallisti, thanks for providing my friends with a place to hang and shoot the shit on film.

For the newcomers, kallisti is the designer and moderator of this site. She's fair, tolerant and slightly insane.
Pokerface11
Posted on Tuesday, September 10, 2002 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi, Marc. Thanks for the welcome! To all the rest of you, I'm from the New York Times Film Forum. I'm a 47, divorced female (Gemini) living in Chicago. I like Bunuel, Bresson, Kubrick, Kurosawa, Irish coffees, long walks off short planks, books about terrorism, and Charles Durning's face.

And I just watched "Eye Witness" ("Your Witness" in the UK) a Robert Montgomery film from the 50s. An American lawyer in England helping the man who saved his life at Anzio beat a murder rap. Better than average writing, good performances all around, unimaginative plot and cinematography. If it's on TV and you have nothing better to do, it's worth a look.
Marccampbell
Posted on Tuesday, September 10, 2002 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tonight I am going to be viewing
THE SALTON SEA
and
CQ.

Reviews to follow.
Marccampbell
Posted on Monday, September 9, 2002 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Greetings to any visitors from the NY Times Film Forum.

hippiemc
Pataphysician
Posted on Monday, September 9, 2002 - 6:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

How many movies have ripped-off this scene from Woo's "The Killer"?

The Killer
_Blackjack
Posted on Sunday, September 8, 2002 - 7:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I kind of resent that Hollywood has decided to make Asia Argento the next big thing. I hate it when they take something that I've appreciated for years and act like they discovered it. She's a freak girl from a freak family and I will not have her assimilated by the mainstream!

Ahem

As far as Hollywood's awareness of Hong Kong action, I'd say it has become far TOO aware in the last 5 years or so, especially post-Matrix. Unfortunately, all they seem able to do is mindlessly ape what they were doing in Hong Kong 10-15 years ago, instead of embracing the innovative, risk-taking spirit that inspired it. Oooh, wire work! Slow motion! Two guns! It's not that impressive when you have a $100 million budget.

Hell, that "The Musketeer" movie they had last year had a shot-for-shot duplication of the ladder scene from "Once Upon A Time In China II".

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page