Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Chicago members...

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Chicago members... « Previous Next »

Perruche_Verte
Posted on Monday, September 16, 2002 - 6:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ha!
Pokerface11
Posted on Monday, September 16, 2002 - 6:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Besides BEVIS AND BUTTHEAD have been linked to brain damage, insanity, and death, too.
Pokerface11
Posted on Monday, September 16, 2002 - 6:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm not that kind of a writer. I do business writing for money, and I'm working on my first novel. I have no interest in writing about absinthe. I really came here for the Film Forum, an alternative Marc offered some of us who were not happy at the NYT Film Forum. But he and Kallisti urged us to look around the site, and I'm very impressed with it. It's interesting stuff.
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Monday, September 16, 2002 - 6:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Just don't write any articles, please, in which the first paragraph has a sentence beginning, "Despite its being linked to brain damage, insanity and death..."
Pokerface11
Posted on Monday, September 16, 2002 - 6:19 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tavarua - Thanks for the welcome. I was puzzled by your suspicion of my profession at first, but then quickly saw where you might be cautious around "my kind." And whoever suggested I read the Forum FAQs, thanks, I did. They were very enlightening and well written.
Tavarua
Posted on Monday, September 16, 2002 - 5:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Fair enough. Sorry if Iím a little direct, but typically writers are to absinthe, what rain is to Noah. The only thing that makes us special is that we know that absinthe is not acid in a glass. Apparently, we are the only the ones. Your second point is the reason that I got into it. Number three, go ahead and order a bottle, you will learn a lot more from your own experience trying it firsthand. As you read the forum, you learn that virtually everyone has a different opinion on what it does for them. Welcome and stick around.
Pokerface11
Posted on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tavarua - Genuine interest. I've been acquainted with Marc for several years now in another context. He recently invited me and some others to post here. Number One - I'm trying to get to know what makes this community of enthusiasts special. Number Two - I'm a very curious person and I like to learn new things. Number Three - I'm trying to determine if absinthe is something I might want to check out.
Crowlyman
Posted on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well I just truly learned this weekend why you don't mix absinthe with other alcohols...I have a splitting headache today! And I just watched the first episode of the Sopranos new season and can barely remember a thing.
Last night I gave a buddy of mine a 'proper' introduction to absinthe and after 3-4 drinks apiece we started drinking beer. Ug. I will never do that again.

I have not experienced the vivid dream effect of absinthe but don't doubt for a second that this can happen. I generally have vivid dreams quite often so even if I have experienced an absinthe induced dream, I would not notice. For me, clarity of thought progression, vivid sight and general happiness are the things I get from the faeries fire.
Nascentvirion
Posted on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

After about 2 or 3 glasses, I do have to admit that I see colors more vividly. It is very low key, and doesnt last that long. Maybe thats because I become very sleepy afterwards.
Pataphysician
Posted on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I can attest to the "Absinthe Dream" effect. Normally when I dream I am aware that I'm dreaming, but I have had that same "holy shit" phenomenon after drinking lots of Absinthe late at night: very vivid, convincing dreams. One time in particular it took a while after I awoke to determine that I was not still in the dream. There was no dividing line between the dream and when I woke up out of it.

Talking about "The Effect" IS controversial here, I guess because people don't want to raise a red flag at a time when Absinthe is trying to regain it's reputation. The secondary effect is real, but pretty subtle -- you have to be sensitive to it. Everybody who has come to Absinthe looking for a "high" has gone away disappointed. For me, it sharpens me up, makes me charming and delightful, and it enhances my visual perception.
Tavarua
Posted on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Poker,
Is your question based on genuine interest, or does it have to do with your profession?
Zman7
Posted on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

>I know nothing! I want to learn.

Well then you've come to the right place. Peruse the contents of this website (most specifically, the FAQs). Maybe link up with a Chicago area absintheur for a tasting. If you prefer to go it alone, I would suggest ordering a bottle of La Fee, Un Emile 68, or Francois Guy for your introduction to absinthe. Forget anything that involves lighting your beverage on fire;) and most of all relax.
Damndj
Posted on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

This is the first time I've seen vivid dreaming mentioned as one of the "secondary effects" of absinthe.

I'm a relative "newbie" when it comes to the drink and I can't really say if I've encountered "secondary effects". There are some feelings that are different than a normal effect from say, Vodka, but I just attribute that to a different kind of drunk. Like being drunk on wine feels different than being drunk off a vodka & cranberry drink(s).

One thing I can say for sure are the dreams that I have after I've had around two glasses. Not since I was a child have I had such vivid, strange, insane dreams. In fact, the first night I ever enjoyed absinthe, I had a dream which involved me laughing, and when I woke up, I continued to laugh out out for a few moments.

I am not one who often remembers what he dreams about, but after each time I go to bed after drinking absinthe, I've always had dreams that make me go "holy s**t" when I wake up the next morning.

Just thought I'd share.
Pokerface11
Posted on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I didn't mean it in a nasty way. I know nothing! I want to learn.
Marccampbell
Posted on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

poker,

you're setting yourself up for a flaming.
Asking whats the big deal about absinthe in an absinthe forum is like going to a church and asking "so whats so special about this Jesus dude?"
Everything you could possibly want to know about absinthe is right here in sepulchritude.
My own experience with absinthe is pretty extensive. I've been drinking it for 4 years. I've tried most the comercial brands, alot of homemade creations, and several of the Swiss bootlegs. My favorite commercial brand is La Fee.
My favorite overall brand is Jade. The Swiss
absinthe vary from good to outstanding, but knowing what you are getting is a crapshoot.
As far as the "secondary effects" go, whether they exist or not has been a source of heated debate in this forum since its conception. I believe that some people experience them, it could be self-delusion or chemically induced, who knows. Based on descriptions of poets and painters of the era, I can't imagine that the absinthes of 90 years ago didn't induce some kind of slightly psychedelic effect. I have experienced slight sharpening of the perceptions and intensified color. Vivid dreaming also seems to be quite common among absinthe drinkers.
In my experience, 2 or 3 glasses of absinthe seem to loosen you up while clarifying thought. With some absinthe, hangovers are not as commonplace as other alcohols. On the other hand, if you mix absinthe with wine, forget about it. I've done it and experienced excruciating hangovers. My suggestion is start with two glasses of absinthe and see what you think. If you are on any kind of mood enhancing medication, I would treat absinthe like you would any other booze.
Pokerface11
Posted on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I live in Skokie and I've never tried absinthe. So what's the deal?
Crowlyman
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

When?
String
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Crowly,
I have to run down to Sams at North and Clybourn to pick up some more Herbsaint. Perhaps we should meet across the street at Goose Island?
Crowlyman
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I notice there a few more Chicago area members now! Sweet!

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page