Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through September 11, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Arts & Other Philosophical Sundries » test » FILM FORUM » Archive through September 11, 2002 « Previous Next »

Crowlyman
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Is he the doorman? At the very beginning?
Crowlyman
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I don't remember. I am now tempted to go upstairs and find out.
Bellypock
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Same problem...where was he in Lifeboat?

BTW, I'll wait a bit to see if anyone else knows where he is in Rope.

Eric
Marccampbell
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I love the way Hitchcock puts himself into ROPE. He always did that in his films. How do you do it in film that only has a handful of characters and is limited to a small set? In which way did Hitchcock make an appearence in ROPE?
Crowlyman
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Xiu Xiu: The Sent Down Girl is by far the best tragedy I have seen in a number of years. Probably the greenest grass ever filmed.
Bellypock
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Rope to me is the pinnacle of Hitchcock as an experimental director. The 'one shot' adds an almost claustrophobic tension that has you squirming in your chair by the end. Yep, me likey!

Eric
Marccampbell
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Jay,

Silent Films is a good one. It may require some of us to go and rent a few. I have some favorites,
SUNRISE in particualr.
Thegreenimp
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

How about Silent Films?
Jay
Marccampbell
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am going to suggest a few film topics to focus on. Not right now, but as soon as we all get settled and comfortable with each other. There were a few topics I wanted to try to develop at the Times but it didn't happen. Some of those topic are

THE MOVIE THAT CHANGED MY LIFE.

DRUGS AND BOOZE IN THE MOVIES.

THE BEST MOVIES OF THE '70S, '80S, '90S.
(we'll take one decade at a time)

THE BLOOD POETS - VIOLENCE IN THE MOVIES.
(Scorsese, Cronenberg, Argento, Bava...)

Any other suggestions?

I know that poker has a deep interest in silent films.
Bellypock
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I tend to be all over the place. Overall favorite is Hitchcock. I like the 30's ish folm noir (Nocturne being my personal favorite). I tend to bounce around on foreign films, I don't have a particular country whose films I like more than another. Semi-guilty pleasure is 30's Universal monster movies. I notice your in Chicago, think the old Creature Features on WGN.

Eric
Marccampbell
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

it looks like Eric likes Hitchcock's ROPE.
One of the master's more underrated films.
Marantz
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You mean that showering and spraying myself with lavender/patchouli essence was a waste of time.

Vin Diesel rocks. Britney Spears is very dynamic....if you are 14.
Pokerface11
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Eric, What's your poison when it comes to film?
Bellypock
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Not sure how 'hardcore' of a film fan I am, but I'm usually up for a discussion, or just to soak up some good recommendations.

Eric
Raschied
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome Newcomers, one and all! I will return in a little bit. I have friends over from Ansbach Germany, and am entertaining them at the moment, but I will return, and discuss the merits Vin Diesel and Britney Spears brought to the summer's movies!

or not.

:)
Pokerface11
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Marc, Why don't we revive the Polanski Forum here? I still have several films of his to see, and I never had such a good time as on that forum.
Marccampbell
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

marantz and shayne,

we need to get the other members of the absinthe forum involved with the Film Forum. There are some hardcore film buffs here: kallisti, joalco, blackjack,anatomist, artemis, raschied,tort, trainer, barsnake...
They may be a little put-off by this sudden intrusion of new members onto their turf. I hope thats not the case. My hope is that film freaks will gravitate here and the place will come to life. I've been trying to keep this forum going for years. Its been tough. I ran out of things to say about absinthe awhile ago , but I really like
the majority of people who contribute to the absinthe forum. If we can get the energy going in here maybe some of the absinthe fiends will crawl out of their hovels and come visit.
Shayne
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

What do you smell?
Marantz
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Where is everyone? Do I smell?
Marantz
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Billy,

Wasn't Robert Morse 'Tru'? If it were him, he was terrific. I caught it on TV not live.
Billyweeds
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

marc--"How to Succeed" is a not-great but still highly enjoyable and fast-paced adaptation of the Broadway smash with a Frank Loesser score and a terrific performance by Robert Morse, who never came close to this level again.
Shayne
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

By the by .. were we going to continue that discussion on
Signs?
Shayne
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I couldn't make it to Woodstock we were in the planning stages for a very large demostration in Denver at the time I remember some of the group went but I just went to local events and didn't feel too left out after all I had seen most of the acts already and hung with some as well so no biggie.
Pokerface11
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Marantz - Bloody troublemaker!
Marantz
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Has anyone seen Signs? How did you like it?

Marc, where did you get that picture of Poker?

How can I make the posts read from least recent to most recent?

I filled out the forms, but I didn't understand most of the questions.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page