Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through September 12, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Arts & Other Philosophical Sundries » test » FILM FORUM (old) » Archive through September 12, 2002 « Previous Next »

Barsnake
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Great to see a bit of life here - thanks Marc.
Yes I am a hardcore buff - I love XXX - hardcore...oh wait - the missus just explained that you guys are nor talking about adult films - Sorry.
I think the reality is that I'm just old and used to go to alot of movies to fight the boredom...I'm sure not in a league with you guys...besides I live in Bakersfield. The most Avant Garde movie that's been here lately is Dwight Yoakam's South of Heaven West of Hell (which was pretty strange.)
Shayne - thanks for reminding me of Zachariah - Doug Kershaw and the James Gang in the middle of the desert...The William Tell Overature with a 4/4 beat...great stuff
Pataphysician
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 6:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"The Great Rock'N'Roll Swindle" is the "Citizen Kane" of Rock movies. Hell, it's the "Citizen Kane" of movies.

Still trying to find the time to go see "24 Hour Party People". Much anticipated.
Shayne
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 5:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

These aren't Rock films but here they are Musically speaking,
The Commitments

Candy Mountain

Blues Bros.

Magical Mystery Tour

Streets of Fire

The Five Heartbeats

Uncle Meat

Velvet Goldmine

Zachariah
Marccampbell
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 2:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

How come you hip absinthe sucking mofos haven't chimed in on 24 HOUR PARTY PEOPLE? Does anybody around here go to the movies.
Marccampbell
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 1:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

billy,

Here's a few rock films that I think ROCK!

THE GIRL CAN'T HELP IT.
A HARD DAYS NIGHT.
PERFORMANCE.
WILD IN THE STREETS.
THE T.A.M.I. SHOW.
AMERICAN HOT WAX.
AMERICAN GRAFFITI.
JAILHOUSE ROCK.
JUBILEE.
24 HOUR PARTY PEOPLE.
ALMOST FAMOUS.
ROCK AND ROLL HIGH SCHOOL.
RUDE BOY.
YELLOW SUBMARINE.
200 MOTELS.
THE BUDDY HOLLY STORY.
WHATS LOVE GOT TO WITH IT.
SPINAL TAP.
STILL CRAZY.

My rock and roll shit list:

THE DOORS.
SID AND NANCY.
THE ROSE.
Billyweeds
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 1:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I don't mind scrolling down, but they archive things here almost immediately, it seems.
Billyweeds
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

marc--Re "The Salton Sea": I have it coming from netflix like tomorrow and am lusting to see it for D'Onofrio and Kilmer. And though you may well be right (about faux hip, etc.) I am learning to take with a HUGE grain of salt any comments you make on rock and roll movies of any sort. You have a preconceived notion of what constitutes hipness, and if a movie like "The Doors" or "Woodstock" fails to make your highly iconoclastic cut, you proceed to dis it utterly. This must be distrusted.
Marccampbell
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Bob,

try evergreenvideo.com for Chahine's films. Its a video store in Manhattan that has a huge inventory of foreign films.
Marccampbell
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

THE SALTON SEA dir. by DJ Caruso.

This is not a good film. But, it has enough compelling and over-the-top moments that it qualifies as a fascinating failure. Caruso's SALTON SEA is like a medley of other director's
greatest hits. You got some Tarantino, some Scorsese, some Guy Ritchie, some Oliver Stone...what you don't have is any discernible directorial style coming from DJ Caruso. Caruso primarily works in television and SALTON SEA is like a waterdowned version of the directors I mentioned above. The film has a few inspired scenes and one truly brilliant performance by Vincent D'Onofrio. He portrays a meth head named Pooh Bear who's nose melted off his face from snorting too much speed. D'Onofrio plays the character while wearing a big plastic schnozz. He looks like a cross between the lead singer of Smashmouth and Leatherface.
Its such a great performance that it pretty much makes the film a must-see. SALTON SEA has a couple of other twisted moments that transcend
the overall cliched tone of the film. There's a very cool scene with an old man in a wheel chair singing Lou Reed's "Walk On The Wild Side" and
a brilliant bit of madness involving a young black gun dealer. But, overall SALTON SEA feels faux hip, it tries too hard and ends up looking silly. Val Kilmer who stars in the flick has pretty much blown any hip credibility he may have had at one time. Though I stopped trusting him after his participation in Oliver Stones abominable THE DOORS.
Bob_Chong
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

BTW--the only source I could find was a VHS copy on arabfilm.com for $250. And it was listed as being 145 minutes long, which is 30 minutes shy of the 175 minute runtime listed on IMDB.
Bob_Chong
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Does anyone know of a source to find Chahine's _Saladin_ on DVD or VHS?
Marccampbell
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm about to watch SALTON SEA. Will post a review later.
Ehle64
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Marc,
Where's that review of "The Salton Sea"?
Thanks for the heads up about this forum, too.
Shayne
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Marc, did I mention I have a copy of
Dick's
Encyclopedia of
Practical
Receipts & Processes
or
HOW THEY DID IT
in the
1870's
Anatomist
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

marantz

I can see your point, but I think you'll get used to it. Overall, the format of this forum is a million times better than that of the NYT. Whenever you first show up, you can click on 'Last Day' and get a tree overview of which threads are active and who is on them. Of course, if all the film talk stays confined to one thread, it might not make much difference...
Bob_Chong
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The scrolling has been discussed before, and it comes down to preference. I think a lot of us are accustomed to it here by now. If you are used to the other way from other fora, then it will take some adjusting.
Marccampbell
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

marantz,

I was concerned for your health.
Marantz
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

marc,
with the miniscule amount of absinthe you treated me to, how did you ever expect me to develop a love for the stuff?
Marccampbell
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

head, kallisti,

can you explain why the threads scroll the way they do? I know there's got to be a reason.

marantz,
have you checked out some of the absinthe related info in this place? Its the ultimate source for the inside skinny on the Green Fairy.
Marantz
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wouldn't it be better if the first posts came first and the last posts came last. It's the natural way to scroll down and read rather than scrolling up to get to the beginning. And then scrolling down to the end to post. Am I screwed up? Is there some way to change it that I don't know about. It really is a pain in the ass. FUCK!
Marccampbell
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Kim Hunter died. She played Stella in "A Streetcar Named Desire". She was also a victim of the Hollywood blacklisting.
Pokerface11
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Eric. I remember Creature Features. Do you watch Svengoolie? I went to high school with S. himself (Rich Koz). As Marc said, I'm very fond of silent films. But I could go for Melgib's suggestion of Agnes Varda, too. We don't often focus on women, and I think her films are exceptional. Plus, we could segue into Jacques Demy's films. I love RIFIFI.
Melgib
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello absinthe and NYTimes film peoples! Thanks for having me. Marc, thanks for the invite.

Like you, Poker, I totally immersed myself in the Polanski forum. I loved that we concentrated on one film at a time -- it gave me a chance to ruminate on the film instead of writing something off the cuff. I got my hands on all the videos (except The Tenant) and tried to write a review of each one. Marc did a great job of keeping (almost) everyone on topic. Count me in for more of the same.

Marc, did you archive any of the Polanski stuff, by any chance? I never did read your review of The Tenant since I hadn't seen the movie.

Interesting directors I'd love to study in-depth:
Alison Anders
Jane Campion
Mary Harron
Nancy Savoca
Martha Coolidge
Agnes Varda
Martin Scorsese
David Lynch
Steven Soderbergh
Quentin Tarantino
James Cameron
Joel & Ethan Coen
Robert Altman
Alan Rudolph
Tim Burton
David Fincher
Sam Mendes
Robert Rodriguez
Richard Linklater

Oh, and by the way....
FUCKITY-FUCK-FUCK
(couldn't resist)
Bellypock
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

In Lifeboat, he shows up in a newspaper ad for a weight loss product.

Eric
Marccampbell
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hitchcock's famous silhouette is seen as a neon sign outside the apartment window in Rope.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page