Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

I'm back... sort of. With an economy...

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » I'm back... sort of. With an economy question... « Previous Next »

Traineraz
Posted on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ooooo . . . screw the sugar cubes, I'll take one of every chocolate item they have!

No, that's not right. One of every item would be silly.

Make that a dozen of every item. Ought to last a week or so!
Thegreenimp
Posted on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

http://www.dcimports.com/sainlouiscom.html

Try DCI Imports, they have Saint Louis Cubes from France.
Greenmeanie
Posted on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 5:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yep.I use the Domino and they work fine. The beauty with them is that they are the small cubes and you can control the sweetness better. Literally "one lump or two"!
Giovannigray
Posted on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Not quite.. If you look a little more carefully at the Absinthe Guide within this wonderful website, you'll see that you can get Francois Guy from Markus, but Emile68 is only available online from absintheonline.com

I don't know where you live, Tristan, but here in the DC area, A La Perruche sugar cubes are available at many Safeways for $5.69. But Domino Dots ($1.59) work just as "proper"ly
Tristan_Ii
Posted on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

So F. Guy and Un Emile? These can be gotten at SC, or from Markus, I presume?

Great. Now I have to convince my girl (who has no interest in Absinthe whatsoever, and little interest in alcohol at all... heathen).

Any more luck in finding the proper sugar cubes Stateside?
Tavarua
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yea, but on Blue Label, he’s Blue, BLUE!! Think about that.

The Betty statement is accurate. I’m not a huge fan of scotch, and Red Label tastes like piss if you ask me. But if you want a high quality product, have the money, and like to play it safe, Betty’s brew and Blue Label may make sense.
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

...I see some analogy between buying Bettina's La Bleu and buying J.W. blue label... Both are very good products but are still way to expensive for what it is.

(wolf, trying to stay on the subject of absinthe...)
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tav, the funny walking guy on the bottle is also on the Gold label bottle ;-)

And the gold label's packaging and label looks even more luxurious.

I did tasted a glass of the blue label a long time ago. I remember it was very nice but not mind blowing as it should at that price.

Hype I tell you. Go for the gold if you can get it.
_Blackjack
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Lmarchegrisiste seems to be persisting in the illusion that there are multiple price grades of absinthe on the market today. of the commercial brands, the best (and the reccomendations given in the thread are dead on) cost little more than the worst, so there is no excuse for buying bad stuff, even for mixing.
Zman7
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I agree with Wolf, get a Francois Guy and an Un Emile 68, both are great starters.
PV, you're right on the money.The whole point of absinthe is to enjoy ABSINTHE. If you have to mix it with anything but water and sugar to be palatable, find something else to drink.
Tavarua
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

You can get a damn good single malt for 2/3 the price. But I love to stare at that funny little guy on the label. None of it matters to me, give me a good gin. Still waiting on a pipeline for Segarra’s.
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"One for mixed drinks and the other for a snifter."

If the absinthe does not stand up on its own (with water), I'd say there is little point in drinking it.

But it depends on whether you want the best, or whether you want to sense the range of what's out there. These are two somewhat different goals. Which one applies to you?
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Blue Label is an asian market hype.

For such a price, you can get an amazing single malt.
Tavarua
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Are you forgetting about the Blue Label?
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

And by the way, Johnny Walker can appear in both sides of this imaginary cabinet, depending on the label (the Gold label is a very good and ultra smooth aged blend. The Red label, I don't even want to ear about it).
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Get Francois Guy and Un Emile. That will give you two exemples of *distilled* absinthes.

My personal preference goes to Frank. But both are worth trying.

You must also try Segarra but buying those three right now would burst your budget.
Lmarchegrisiste
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Could the people who answer this question think in terms of there being two sections in the cabinet. One for mixed drinks and the other for a snifter. So that there would be a Dewar, Johnnie Walker and Bacardi section and a Springbank, Cragganmore and Nelthropp section. What would you put in each of these cabinets.
Tristan_Ii
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Apparently my original ID had gotten wiped out in the purge, but I'm back.

So my question is this... I have in my absinthe account about $125 (American). For this money, what is my best bet for a first Absinthe? Where to order from, etc.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page