Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through September 12, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Arts & Other Philosophical Sundries » test » Film Forum » Archive through September 12, 2002 « Previous Next »

Sebrown000
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oh, by the way, Sebrown000=shannonbrown from the NYT forums.
Sebrown000
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello, all.

What's the topic at hand? Dwight Yoakam? I love the guy. One of the few current country musicians I can stand.
Shayne
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Egad, I've just got to see South of Heaven
its got all my favs, You know they won't play Dwight on the country channels(don't even ask for She wore Red Dresses) here. Vince Vaughn got to me in Clay Pidgons and has stayed ever since. Of course what can be said 'bout Pee Wee I may not go to the movies with him but I'll sure go to see him, at least in this company..Thanks Barsnake for this Great turn on!
Ehle64
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Marc,
It's so funny, but everything that you liked about "The Salton Sea" is what I hated. I couldn't stand Vincent D'Onofrio's over-the-OTT performance, and I'm a fan. I found Kilmer's work to be interesting and not faux in the least. I also thought there were some rather too-hip moments and that the whole film was a bit "Memento"-lite, but not enough for me to not recommend it. Peter Saarsgard's performance was worth the rental alone.

Shame on you for not liking "The Rose"!
Pokerface11
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

On the wall, they have a huge photo (Avedon, I believe) of the two of them with their thumbs up. There's one of Siskel alone as you come up the stairs and read all the donors' names.

It's a great place to see films because it has a wide screen. I just saw JOHN CARPENTER'S THE THING there, the way it was meant to be seen.
Chevalier
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

And while you're there, have a chat with Ebert.

"Remember," he'll warn, "BENEATH THE VALLEY OF THE ULTRAVIXENS is not the same as BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS!!"
Pokerface11
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I guess I saw the wrong part. I shall complain to the Siskel Center for not programming part 1.
Chevalier
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Part II was a sequel of sorts -- and a bad one. I liked Part I.
Pokerface11
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Chevalier - I almost did the HANGING ROCK joke. And I did NOT like DECLINE OF WESTERN CIVILIZATION. I only saw part 2, the Metal Years, but it really didn't say much besides the ham-handed cliche of sex, drugs, and rock n roll. It was entertaining in some ways, but where was the music? Who needs a nudie contest? Missed opportunity.
Chevalier
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Penelope Spheeris's "The Decline of Western Civilization".

Chock full of such little rascals as Black Flag, X, Fear, Catholic Discipline, The Germs ...
Admin
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

HEDWIG. Indeed.

YUMMMM.
Chevalier
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Peter Weir's definitive rock movie:

"Picnic at Hanging Rock"
Pokerface11
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I was trying very hard to think of a Rock film that I both saw and loved. It's not my usual fare. Came up with John Cameron Mitchell's HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH. See it. It rocks!
Pataphysician
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

A friend of mine went to a special showing of "Milo and Otis" (Milo is a cat, Otis is a dog) which was followed by a talk with the director. The audience was, of course, mostly kids. The interviewer asked the Japanese director about a scene where the dog and cat jump off a waterfall: "Was that a difficult shot?" "Oh, yes! We went through 2 Milos and 3 Otises to that shot right." The kids freaked out.
Melgib
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the review and info on South of Heaven, Barsnake. With that cast, it had to be pretty strange. I can't wait to see it.

You shoot an animal in a movie, you better be willing to take the fallout from PETA and every other animal rights zealot roaming the streets.

Here's the end credit I'd love to see:

"No animals were harmed during the making of this movie ... well, except for that one horse we had to put down after Dwight downed a couple of absinthes and insisted on using real bullets in the Gatlin gun scene. Sorry 'bout that."
Barsnake
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

South of Heaven West of Hell
http://www.southofheavenwestofhell.com/index2.html
Dwight Yoakam
Vince Vaughn
Billie Bob Thornton
Bridgette Fonda
Peter Fonda
Bud Cort
Paul Ruebens
Michael Jeter

A "Spaghetti Western" style shoot 'em up send up...
The Bad guys are way bad and the Good guys are not much better...
I laughed out loud at several parts.
Did get a little irritated at the repetitive, single piano key theme song.

***Plot Spoiler***
I pissed my wife off in the first ten minutes of the movie cuz I could've caught the bad guys during thier first daring raid - just shot the horses that are pulling the wagon that has the Gatlin gun in it.

They had a private showing here in Bako because Buck Owens financed the completion of the movie when Dwight ran out of money. Dwight and Bridgette were here giving out caps and crew jackets. Not sure how I got invited - but I enjoyed it...
Barsnake
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

http://www.mgm.com/woopwoop/

loved the clip from The Sound of Music when the nuns ask Julie - "What is it you can't face"! (say Can't with a Austrian/German accent)
Marc
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

marantz,

you old dog. you just love to make trouble, don't you?

kallisti,

can we create a "seniors" forum, with a 24 hour nurse on duty?
Marantz
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

b\[admin], You can still have the new messages at the top and the newer ones underneath. The ones we have seen don't have to be displayed and we can backtrack if we want to see them. The NYT forums have many faults, but their system of displaying new messages is very good.

And I'll never get used to it. I'm an old dog and I won't learn new tricks.
Pataphysician
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah, the editing for EAT THE DOCUMENT is, um, eccentric. Dylan did it himself. Apparently it involved cataloging each scene on index cards according to his perceived theme and color coding them and arranging them like a painting. Or something like that. It's the Anti-Rockumentary.

The concert scenes are just incredible, though:
http://theband.hiof.no/video_clips/i_dont_believe_you_1966.ram
Melgib
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Barsnake, great photo. Howzabout a review of the Dwight Yoakum movie? I can't wait to see it, myself. I don't think it's made it to Austin yet.
Admin
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

also, rock 'n' roll ...

JUBILEE

LISZTOMANIA

jarman & ken russell give me a woody.
Admin
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think the thing is Marantz, when we first switched over to having new msgs at the top, forumites realized on average they check the board 23478 times a day, so it is quite useful to have the latest msgs at the top, rather than having to scroll all the way to the bottom to read a single msg. Honest, you'll get used to it and it will seem second nature in no time.
Marantz
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I took my 4 year old son to see
Eat The Document
when it first played at the Whitney Museum. After all, my son's name is Dylan. In spite of the volume of the sountrack he fell asleep after about 20 minutes. I stayed awake and though the movie was sort of a mess, I enjoyed it. And it has a great, long, harmonica solo by Dylan.

And this format is ridiculous. You have to keep scrolling up after scrolling down. It makes no sense and it's very clumsy. It can't be too hard to change. I'm no computer whiz by any stretch and I can change my e mail stuff to read just about any way I want.
Pataphysician
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Rockin-est Rock film:

EAT THE DOCUMENT

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page