Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through September 13, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Arts & Other Philosophical Sundries » test » Film Forum » Archive through September 13, 2002 « Previous Next »

Sadie
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

That would be affirmative, Marantzo.

By the by, there's a poor schmuck down the street who sports quite a moussed mohawk, artfully threaded with blonde.
Marantz
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Debussy's
Girl With the Flaxen Hair was originally Girl With the Sangria Hair.
Marantz
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Does McCoy know about your Sadie side?
Marantz
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

That's what you say, but I'll never get used to it. And if nilson is the man I think he is, he won't get used to it either.
Sadie
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Marantzo,

Tis, I. Click on my name.
Marantz
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Who are you Sadie? I'm sure I should know.

I haven't seen a movie in weeks so I have nothing to contribute.

(A sigh of relief emanates from all corners of the Globe.)
Sadie
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

That's Sadie, Marc.

Sadie is my naughty wench side, goddamn it.
Marc
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

nilson,

I read your post in the NYTimes forum about the clunkyness of the way this forum's message sequence is set up. You'll get used to it.

whit,

welcome, baby!
Sadie
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi, all. Thanks, Marc, for the invite. Glad you're back on line at the NYT site too!
Nilson
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Anato Mist: agree with your yawn on The Good Girl. As I watched I thought, in theory this is a good movie, with O'Reilly and Blake Nelson in full indie mode, but...the whole was less than the sum of its parts and it seemed to fall into that sinkhole where you feel its all about snickering at bucolic stereotypes. Cheap gags abounded, e.g. "Who's Sorry Now" on the store's PA after Gillenhall is dead. It stole its laughs from me, I didn't give them up gladly.
Anatomist
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I thought the trailer for BARBERSHOP made it look lamer than SIMONE. I just got back from seeing THE GOOD GIRL. I liked the character acting all around, but the movie as a whole was pretty dull. Some of the gags were funny, but not funny enough, and overall I rate it as yawn.
Billyweeds
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The reviews of "Barbershop" range from good to terrific. It sounds like a real honest-to-goodness sleeper smash. Me, I'm off to see "Igby Goes Down." Yes, marc, I will see "24 Hour Party People." And, yes, I understand that Kilmer probably looks idiotic in a blue Mohawk, but I had to be PC, you know me. Peace, bro with the long hair.
Sebrown000
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Kinda figured that. From the trailers, it looks like one of those flicks that you think is gonna be shitty, but turns out to be great. Like Friday, for instance. Judging from its rottentomatoes.com score, I may be right.

Regardless, I'm buying my ticket. If it ain't up to par, I'll duck out early and sneak into One Hour Photo, which, to me, looks like one of those flicks that everyone says is great, but turns out to be shitty.
Pataphysician
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes.

[I'm filling in for Pikkle]
Sebrown000
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Am I the only person seeing Barbershop this weekend?
Bellypock
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

Marc wrote:

....He's about as natural looking as Marlon Brando in fuck me pumps....

Thanks for an image I REALLY didn't need in my head. :)

Eric
Pokerface11
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I saw a teenager with a mohawk at an Aerosmith concert two weeks ago. He was ridiculed by quite a number of people for being retro.
Melgib
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Omigod, Poker!

So tell me, do tha kids wear blue mohawks anymore, or was that an '80s thing? Reason I ask, I don't see them out here in the calm, peaceful, pastoral Texas hill country.
Marc
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

billy,

Val Kilmer looks all wrong in a blue mohawk. Its not about fashion, its about what is believable and what isn't.
He's about as natural looking as Marlon Brando in fuck me pumps.
Would you cast Jeff Goldblum as a skinhead neo-nazi punk rocker? Or Hugh Grant as Lenny Bruce?
Meryl Streep as an east L.A. gang banger?

There are wise casting choices and then there are dumb ones.
Don't give me a bunch of PC nonsense.
Pokerface11
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

How'd you like to give birth to a baby with a blue mohawk? Ouch!!
Marantz
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think anyone who has made it past the womb is too old for a blue mohawk.
Billyweeds
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

That comment on Kilmer's Mohawk (which in any case I gather was used for undercover purposes in the movie) reminds me of Owen Gleiberman's infamous review of "Random Hearts" in which he couldn't even concentrate on the movie for being so obsessed with the supposed "wrongness" of Harrison Ford wearing a small earring. It's bizarre how people can get so focused on what is right and wrong about people's fashion sense and hair length. But it's particularly weird when coming from a supposed "hippie" like marc.
Melgib
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I remember my grandmother, god rest her soul, telling me after my daughter was born that I needed to cut my hair. I was a grown woman now and I needed to get rid of that long stringy mess and get a mature woman's haircut.

I was 29.
Billyweeds
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 7:27 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

marc--I haven't yet seen "The Salton Sea," but you're beginning to sound like an old fogey. How can you say with a straight face that someone is "too old" to wear a Mohawk? Next you'll be the fashion police. Really, dude.
Marc
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

ehle,

I thought Val Kilmer was totally miscast in
SALTON SEA. He's way to old to be sportin' a blue mohawk.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page