Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

WIT

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Arts & Other Philosophical Sundries » FILM FORUM » WIT « Previous Next »

Pokerface11
Posted on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

SILENCE LIKE GLASS is a very interesting film. Jamie Gertz is in it, too, and I've always liked her. My favorite Plimpton performance was Hedda Gabler on stage last year.
Anatomist
Posted on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You should definitely find a copy of SILENCE LIKE GLASS, then. And, she's in a fun, light comedy that I liked called SAMANTHA, which is worth seeing if you're a Plimpton fan.
Melgib
Posted on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 7:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Anatomist, I'm a huge fan of Martha Plimpton. I liked her in Running on Empty, Parenthood, Beans of Egypt, Maine, even 200 Cigarettes, but where she totally blew me away was in this tiny indie called Eye of God by Tim Blake Nelson.

Emma Thompson is, of course, a goddess.
Anatomist
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

That was a very intense movie, but it certainly isn't for the faint of heart. It used the device of Emma directly addressing the audience quite well, and had some interesting sequences in which memories and the present were convoluted. Overall, it was a simple, direct contemporary look into the very fearsome experience of becoming terminally ill.

Another movie on the subject I liked very much is called SILENCE LIKE GLASS - Called ZWEI FRAUEN in German. Probably not nearly as good a movie overall, but Martha Plimpton as the bald, viciously angry cancer patient was quite an experience. I've liked Plimpton ever since I saw her in the excellent RUNNING ON EMPTY.

Thompson's performance was exquisite, and the work of an apparently fearless actress. Apparently she co-wrote the screenplay. Another quiet project in which she apparently had a more personal stake is THE WINTER GUEST, in which she plays the daughter to her real life mother. It's a beautiful movie - one of my all time favorites. Like WIT, it's awash in white.
Admin
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

oh, and by the way. I don't have a tumor.
Admin
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I made the mistake of watching WIT on cable the week before I went in for some ultrasounds (mommy, why does it hurt all the time?) ... and was convinced for a month that I had a tumor the size of a grapefruit.

It is absolutely brilliant, but not for hypochondriacs.

The thing I fear most about illness is modern medicine. EEE-OW.

Emma makes this production sublime.
Pokerface11
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

So, basically, when you see a new film that could generate some discussion, you can put the title in a new thread. I've already used the Last Day function and it's very cool. Thanks, anatomist.
Anatomist
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I just rented WIT, by Mike Nichols, starring Emma Thompson. I heard it talked about on the radio months ago, but never got a chance to see it because it bypassed the theaters and went straight to some cable channel. Now I am going to watch it.

(This may seem a mundane bit of information with which to start a thread, but I am trying to illustrate the concept of spreading out the film conversations to multiple threads for the newly arrived film geeks.)

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page