Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

HOMEVIEWING

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Arts & Other Philosophical Sundries » FILM FORUM » HOMEVIEWING « Previous Next »

Melgib
Posted on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 7:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Poker, I loved Gambon in The Cook, The Thief and Roeg's Insignificance is a masterpiece. I didn't see how I could go wrong for $5.99.....

Shayne, fer sure.
Shayne
Posted on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 6:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Mel, I take it thats a big thumbs down then?
Pokerface11
Posted on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 6:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Melgib - I absolutely could not get through TWO DEATHS. Gambon drew me into it (I'm a huge fan of THE SINGING DETECTIVE), but as you say, it was an overwrought mess. Ebay's a good place for it (there's a sucker born every minute).
Melgib
Posted on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Just watched Nicolas Roeg's Two Deaths, with Michael Gambon and Sonia Braga. Gambon gives a great performance in a mess of a movie. It's about sexual obsession ... no, wait, it's about human weaknesses ... no, but look, there's Eastern European rebel strife right outside the door ... and don't forget Braga's breasts every few minutes so we can remember this is supposed to be her story, too.

The movie works only when Gambon has the floor, narrating the story of his "housekeeper." Even though the camera movements were distracting, I was mesmerized by his voice and compelled by the story.

Spoilers -- not that it matters...

By the time the rebels invade, the blind cook gets shot, and the quad in the upstairs bedroom is revealed, not to mention the realistic abortion, I was giggling out of disbelief and desperate to stop myself from rifling through kitchen drawers for a butcher knife.

Anybody want to watch this movie (DVD), email me your physical address and I'll send it to ya. Otherwise, I'm putting this puppy up for sale on eBay.

Give me Insignificance any day.
Joalco
Posted on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Consider it moved...
Melgib
Posted on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Joalco, I started a new Movie Lists thread if you wanna move it over there.
Joalco
Posted on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm guilty of posting just such a list, a few moments ago in the "MOVIE THAT CHANGED MY LIFE..." topic.

Perhaps it will spread....
Melgib
Posted on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Two fairly solid recommendations on South of Heaven from Barsnake and Shayne. Problem is, I really don't have a good grasp of the kind of films you two like, so I don't know how to take your recommendation. Can ya hep me out here? Howzabout a list of favorite movies, say, from the last decade?

Sounds like a new forum to me.....

I'll list mine if you list yours.
Shayne
Posted on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Watched South of Heaven West of Hell last night...Gritty, people shooting and not hitting or hitting and not killing, very torturous..I loved it! I haven't seen an attempt to do something like this in a looong while, the incidental 'music' reminded me of True Romance or Badlands until the end when it got me feeling like a lounge lizard. Not withstanding Vince Vaughn was in his own here..even Pee Wee didn't let us down. The most refreshing thing about it is you couldn't predict it from one scene to the next. Bridgete Fonda gives the film to the 'boys' to play with, Peter, and BB Thornton have almost cameos so don't go expecting more it this respect. This is one good flick but I wouldn't share it with someone who has a problem with wounds.
Shayne
Posted on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'll have to see it..I hope it gets me like Small Faces.
Melgib
Posted on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 6:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Marc, I've been craving a masterpiece. I'll do my best to get my hands on this one. Sounds like a trip to Austin's Vulcan Video is in store this afternoon.
Marccampbell
Posted on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tonight I watched Lynne Ramsay's RATCATCHER.
Its a beautifully directed and photographed film that takes place in the lower class housing projects of Glasgow, Scotland during a garbage strike. The streets are filled with trash, rats and children. Its the children who are the focus of the film. The cast is mostly made up of non-actors
and the performances are remarkable.
Some of the little boys have the faces of old men,
deeply sad and troubled. But, in the sadness and the squalor, Ramsey has found moments of transcendent poetry. The cinematography creates a mood of resonant soulfulness - as if you are entering a fugue state, a place where dreams burrow into the rotting garbage that clogs the city streets like coagulated blood. RATCATCHER looks and feels like a collaboration between David Lynch and Francois Truffaut. With the nitty grittiness of a Mike Leigh film. It is a masterpiece. One of the very few to come along in the past decade.

Criterion has released RATCATCHER in a beautiful
DVD transfer. As an extra, the disc contains an interview with the director.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page