Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through September 11, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Arts & Other Philosophical Sundries » The Listening Room » Archive through September 11, 2002 « Previous Next »

Joalco
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

In the mix:

Coil - The Remote Viewer
Urge Overkill - Stull
Halou - Wiser
PlatEAU - Music for Grass Bars
Placebo - Without You I'm Nothing
Raschied
Posted on Sunday, September 8, 2002 - 5:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Check out the compilations called something like "St. Germain des pres cafe" volumes 1 and 2. Toe-tapping wholesome goodness. I wish I could remember the entire names of the albums, but I've got 'em ripped to a single MP3-CD fro my travels.
2loucheltrec
Posted on Saturday, September 7, 2002 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The Grassy Knoll III ?
Raschied
Posted on Saturday, September 7, 2002 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Seriously, I've still been listening to a lot of electro-jazz compilations, like the St. Germain stuff - groups like Taxi, Jazzanova, and the like.
Angryp
Posted on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Been listening to Tift Merritt's "Bramble Rose" a whole bunch lately. Good solid folky rock with a strong country edge. Very good and highly recommended if you like that sort of music.
Rimbaud
Posted on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Mark, I just picked up the Interpol record as well. I like it...
Bjacques
Posted on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The soundtrack to The Long Good Friday. It's late-Seventies jazz-rock by Francis Monkman, from the late-Seventies jazz-rock band Sky. It's hard to listen to Sky without wincing, but Monkman's solo work is excellent here. The last two tracks should be mandatory listening at grungy trendy pub The Foundry, in London.
Marccampbell
Posted on Friday, August 23, 2002 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I like the new INTERPOL cd.
Raschied
Posted on Friday, August 23, 2002 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have been listening to the YATTA! song until my ears started bleeding.
Rimbaud
Posted on Friday, August 23, 2002 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The new Flaming Lips record is pure fucking bliss!!! Wonderful!
Rimbaud
Posted on Friday, August 23, 2002 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Mark,

Have you heard Clinic yet? Their new album "Walking With Thee" is an amazing record. Check it out...you'll love it!

~Greg
Pataphysician
Posted on Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 7:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

ditto Massive Attack.
Nascentvirion
Posted on Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 6:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Lately its been Neubauten, The Exploited, The Dark, Sunday Munich, New Model Army, Massive Attack, and Revolting Cocks.
Pataphysician
Posted on Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Groove Armada" ?!!
Hey I've got a freebie CD of them around here somewhere that they were giving away after an Anti-Pop Consortium show. I remember it sounded good on the way home.

...here it is: "Goodbye Country (Hello Nightclub)" "A sample of the new studio album in stores 9/11/01 on Jive Electro Records" 9/11/01 ?!! Ouch! That's gotta hurt sales!

Hmm. Wow, there's a lot going on there. They pretty much hit everything I like in 14 minutes.
Pikkle
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Words are but a texture in music... to say that they are poetic and meaningful in the song detracts from the essence of the song itself... Music thrives with or without words and is therefore fulfilling regardless. Hence MUZAK and MOOG...
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Groove Armada.

At first, it sounded to me like boring, cliched if well crafted techno-hiphop-funkage.

And it hasn't come out of my CD player for a week cuz it grew on me that much.

I likes me the new Rasputina, but they need to be a *lot* tighter to pull off what they are trying to do. I can see what it could have been with more practice.
Pataphysician
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I didn't reject lyrics -- they rejected me. It was more of a gravitation toward music without words, which pleased me much more.
Anatomist
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, I have the information that you categorically rejected all music with lyrics for years. That sounds a lot more like copping an attitude or striking a pose than informed discrimination to me.

K.
Pataphysician
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Once again, you put someone (me) in some weird category based on very little information. I, too, have no aesthetic problem with cliches, , but please, people, make them interesting. For instance, Bob Dylan's "Love and Theft" is a pastiche of musical and lyric cliches (Theft) that's put together by a goddamn genius. Similar in approach to his "Basement Tapes", which I must have listened to once a week for 25 years. And there's certainly nothing cool or cutting edge to admitting that.
Anatomist
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"If by "sophistication" you mean that I've heard a lot of lyrics for a lot of years, then, yeah, you're right. After a few decades the majority of it sounds cliched."

It sounds like it's not just the fact that you've heard a lot of it before, but the mentality that having heard something or something very similar before somehow invalidates or devalues it. This is a big part of what I'm referring to as 'fashion consciousness'. By enjoying something without novelty value for yourself or others with your level of knowledge, you expose yourself to ridicule and charges of naivite - even if it's only from the critical voice within. I have talked to many caught up in coolness and being on the cutting edge in art in particular, and this is their greatest fear. Instead of creating what they want without mediation, they always edit and hedge to insulate themselves from the criticism of cynical scene-sters.

Personally, I have no problem with enjoying the same thing over and over. I've had plenty of pepperoni pizzas with onions in my life, but I'm usually up for enjoying another, provided it's made well. In fact, music that reanimates 'cliches' as though new is probably my mainstay - Gillian Welch is probably my favorite musician, and she mostly plays in the straight-up, stripped-down bluegrass genre. If you listen to her and Rawlins play a song like ONLY ONE AND ONLY or a Townes Van Sandt cover and all you can hear is a boring cliche, I think that's sad.

K.
Pataphysician
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I just want to go on record that when I said I don't listen to music with lyrics I didn't mean to imply that I listen to Classical. Yuck.
Pikkle
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Schubert's string quartet no. 15... there's some passion.
Pikkle
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

and I'd probably listen to em Hobbles...
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Chev. for extra passion in your classical list :

-Malher (everything...)
-Richard Straus (symphonie Alpestre...)

and some opera...

-Wagner's ring (but avoid cheap bad recordings as it can be disappointing)
-Verdi's Rigoletto (look for the recording with Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau and Renata Scotto)
-Puccini's Turandot (I have a Calas recording. Very good but there's other very nice one out there).
-Bellini's NORMA (find an old recording with Callas, she was the most amazing Norma of all time. Mine is a 1955 recording if I'm not mistaking, I will have to check).
Barsnake
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hob, I don't disagree - there is just something about the strain and lack of range...he sounds like an "everyman" kind of singer...with his colorful lyrics - it just works for me...
Pikkle, Head, & I all agree on this one

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page