Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through September 14, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Arts & Other Philosophical Sundries » test » Film Forum » Archive through September 14, 2002 « Previous Next »

Marantz
Posted on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Speaking of which, has anyone seen Kitten With A Whip?
Joalco
Posted on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You fool, don't let her hear you...!

We'll all be punished...
Marantz
Posted on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ah yes, Kallisti the sadist. It's all becoming clear.
Joalco
Posted on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I don't think we've ever had a satisfactory explanation, Marc. The gods' will? Computer error? The whims of our dear Kallisti?

The world may never know....

I seem to recall that over the last few years, the sequencing has changed back and forth a time or two as well...
Marantz
Posted on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I always crush and snort them. I feel a little guilty about stealing my little hyperactive brother's medicine, but he usually stops bouncing off the walls when he loses conciousness. I'm not too bothered by his comatose twitching.
Marccampbell
Posted on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Joal,

you've been around for awhile. Why are the messages here sequenced the way they are?
Do you think it makes sense?
Marantz
Posted on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think I'll start drinking a little earlier today. But first I want to answer the last post. Wait, I'll go up to the top and check it out.

Oh, it was mine. Never mind.
Joalco
Posted on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Only if they're crushed then snorted.
Marantz
Posted on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Will four tabs of Ritilan do?
Joalco
Posted on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's my fault, Marc. I've been dosing drinks.
Marccampbell
Posted on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

marantz,

you're repeating yourself. Chill with the meth?
Marantz
Posted on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Have I mentioned that the setup of these forums drive me nuts?

Scroll down.
Scroll up,
Scroll down,
Scroll up,
Scroll down,
Scroll up,
Hey wait a minute where was I,
What was the last post?
Oh yeah, at the top, the first one.
I'll have to scroll to the bottom to answer the post at the top.

I hate to complain, but have I mentioned that the structure of these forums drive me nuts?

I had an easier time navigating {Memento}
Pataphysician
Posted on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

THE GOLEM DVD is on my Amazon wishlist, so I hope to see it soon.

I arranged a screening of THE MAN WITHOUT A WORLD when it came out, but I don't know if it has ever been available on video. It's a really lovely tribute to silent film, with a wrenching Holocaust allegory at the end.
Nilson
Posted on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

BILLY: (head bowed, tail between legs)

I just plumb forgot! Sorry! In the first heady rush of forum freedom, I got a bit giddy. Spoiler alerts forthcoming.
Pokerface11
Posted on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Never have seen or heard of that film by Antin. Sounds interesting. I have seen THE GOLEM, the Yiddish film from Germany from the 1930s. It's a haunting story, made more so by the knowledge that most of the actors who performed in it were killed in the Holocaust.
Pataphysician
Posted on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Poker, ever seen Eleanor Antin's THE MAN WITHOUT A WORLD (1991)? Antin made it under the pretense that it was a long-lost Yiddish silent film. It's a beautiful, charming, funny, touching recreation of Polish shtetl life on the eve of the Holocaust. Not sure about the availability of it, but definitely worth seeking out.
Anatomist
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

As soon as he reads your post, he can go back and put one in.

If it's any consolation, I don't think the movie is really good enough to be truly 'spoiled'.
Billyweeds
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Isn't the spoiler alert a must on this forum? Guess not; otherwise why would NILSON have been so insensitive as to post that bit about Gyllenhaal in The Good Girl? Not cool at all, and most unlike the nilson I know on the NYT forum. For SHAME!!!!!!!
Marccampbell
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

friends from the NY Times film forum,

I hope you all are looking around the entire sepulchritude site. kallisti has done a really impressive job of making this one of the most beautiful websites on the internet. Don't be shy about getting into conversations on the other
threads. I think kallisti has made it clear, by creating our own film forum section, that you are welcome here. If any of you are interested in absinthe, this is the place to be. I've been a participant in this site for 4 years and I've learned alot about the Green Fairy in that time. Its a wonderful beverage. If you have any questions there are real experts on absinthe here.
One of them, absinthedrinker, discusses absinthe as part of the "extras" on the DVD version of the ripper movie FROM HELL.
Anatomist
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Here, I'll show you...
Pokerface11
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Saw THE KOMEDIANT this evening, about the Burstein Family, famous in the Yiddish theatre. I wanted to learn more about the patriarch, Pesachke Burstein, but he remained a shadowy figure. We learn a lot about this two kids and his second wife, all of whom do most of the talking as they are still alive (natch). Some home movies, some interesting facts about how the Yiddish theatre was booted out of Israel for a while in the Zionist fervor to abolish anything created during the lengthy Diaspora, some dirty laundry about the Yiddish Theatre's Actors Union.

You've really got to have an interest in Yiddish theatre to see this film, though, as it's not an intrinsically well-done or universal film. One funny bit, though: Fivush Finkel talking about an actress who was horrible in the role of Anne Frank. When the Nazis come on stage, the audience yells up, "She's upstairs in the attic."

That's all she wrote.
Anatomist
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

If you want to create a new thread in the FILM FORUM folder, you have to click on FILM FORUM at the top of the page (it's not at the top of this one for some reason, so you have to go up a level to Arts &... first. Then click on FILM FORUM, then there will be a big button on the screen that says "Create a new conversation" which will allow you to make up a new thread with your own title. To overview the threads, click on 'Last Day' or 'Last Week' over to the left. In the event of a water landing, your seat can also double as a floatation device.
Shayne
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

how do I do this thread thing?
Anatomist
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Note to newcomers: This forum will seem a lot less clunky if you start posting new thoughts on new threads and using the 'Last Day' function to get a tree overview of what's going on. If everyone insists on posting everything on the same thread like the NYT forum, it will indeed seem clunky, but it won't be the forum's fault.

Having started on this one first, it is the NYT format that seems clunky to me - so much so that I often neglect to read it because I don't feel like going through the hassle. Having all the messages in one long line that you have to move through page by page is practically prehistoric... it would be at home in an old DOS or TRS80 program.

Here, you not only have several options about how to view the overall breadth of threads, including posters' handles and the beginnings of messages in the case of "Last Day", you can also skip to anywhere within a long list of archived messages instead of having to crawl through them one at a time. You also have a combined preview/edit with a spell checker, more html formatting options, and the ability to post images. You can also go back and edit your message after you've posted it. It is a more complex and powerful program, but only if you learn how to use it.
Marantz
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

A Sangria Mohawk...I can taste it now.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page