Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Oriental Cinema

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Arts & Other Philosophical Sundries » FILM FORUM » Oriental Cinema « Previous Next »

Joalco
Posted on Monday, September 16, 2002 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Marc ~

I have no idea why I chose the word "oriental" instead of Asian. Hell, I've even read a couple of issues of "Asian Cult Cinema" magazine lately...

Perhaps I was disoriented?

*ouch*
Shayne
Posted on Monday, September 16, 2002 - 7:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I take it no one knows who I'm asking about then,however; this was a real turning point of the genre for me adding a more plasible aspect of the real world look to it for me. Finding tonights meal as a begger or finding a bed if your a fugitive these are real.
Marccampbell
Posted on Monday, September 16, 2002 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Joal,

"Oriental" was an interesting choice. Why not "Asian"?
Shayne
Posted on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Who does the Blind Samurai masseusse movies?
Pokerface11
Posted on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Joalco - I don't believe I've seen any of those films. I enjoyed the only Korean film I've seen, 301/302, and Edward Yang's stuff blows me away, especially A BRIGHTER SUMMER DAY, but also the more well-known and widely seen YI-YI. THE ORPHAN OF ANYANG, from mainland China, is an impressive first film by Chao Wang, and Kiyoshi Kurosawa is a Japanese film maker to watch. I've seen his CURE, and can't wait to see more of his work. My sentimental favorite is Wu Tian Ming's THE KING OF MASKS.
Shayne
Posted on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Any 'Beat' Takshi films. Before and after his wreck.
Joalco
Posted on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

How many of you folks are interested in modern Chinese / Japanese / Korean cinema? Over the last five years, I've gotten a little more entrenched.

Here are some current favorites, discuss amongst yourselves...

Battle Royale
The Ring / The Ring Virus
God of Cookery / Shaolin Soccer
Shiri
JSA
Audition
Tell Me Something
Junk
Versus
Fudoh

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page