Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Aargh!

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Aargh! « Previous Next »

Nolamour
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

GREEK FEST...Awesome. They now have about 4 picnic style tables full of Greek pastries (most of which I've never heard of aside from Baklava)

The OUZO daiquiris are called "Zorba's Delight" and they are blue in color. - That'll wipe your ass out.

Many moons ago, I was asked to leave the Greek fest as I was on my 6th bottle of Greek wine (consuming it straight from the bottle like a common street urchin) and trying to dance the traditional dance - They've since forgotten about that one.
Admin
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

oh heck yeah, you can get everclear daiquiris that taste like otter pops in New Orleans. I love that town.

one summer we went to Greek Fest, and they dumped a buncha OUZO in one of those daiquiri machines and sold huge cups for $2. on a hot summer day. sweeeeet.
Bellypock
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 7:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

Perruche_Verte wrote:

I want to find a state where alcohol, tobacco and firearms are available in the same convenient drive-through location.

Michigan. When I was playnig in a band a few years back, we were playing a club in Michigan. Drove past a gas station with "AMMO, LIQUOR, GAS" in huge letters on the side. We stopped in and picked up smokes. Couldn't stop laughing the whole way. I described it as 'a hunting accident waiting to happen'.

Eric
Nolamour
Posted on Monday, September 16, 2002 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Speaking of drive throughs...We have drive through Daquiri shops all over New Orleans.

Don't drink and drive or you'll get busted...Oh, could you pick me up a Large Orange Antifreeze with a double shot on your way home?

Mmmmmmm...it'll knock your crank in the dirt.
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Monday, September 16, 2002 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I want to find a state where alcohol, tobacco and firearms are available in the same convenient drive-through location.

I'm told Missouri has such places.
Tristan_Ii
Posted on Monday, September 16, 2002 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I love living in Sacramento.

My girlfriend is in shock, as she moved here from Montana, where the only thing that could be sold in stores were beer and wine. Hard stuff could only be purchased in State of Montana Liqour Stores.

Now she's here, where you can buy Vodka at AM/PM. Hehehehe......

Side note: Does anyone know if I can find Versinthe at Beverages and More?
Lmarchegrisiste
Posted on Monday, September 16, 2002 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Here in Boston beer and wine and liquor are different licences, most supermarkets don't have a beer or wine section. No supermarkets sell liquor. The bottle sellers close at 11:00PM by state law and no liquor, beer or wine is sold by the bottle on Sundays. The states of New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Connecticut are relatively close. Stores in towns on the border have the right to sell on Sundays.

Unlike Boston my home in the Caribbean permits open containers public. Two year coloumn still rum in the V.I. is cheaper than Poland Spring or Evyan but bland. You can get rum as old as twenty years but the rum that we wax poetic about is steeped with aromatic guavaberries. It grows wild in Puerto Rico and the D.R but they seldom use it, they associate it with families from the VI. If you buy a product of the name Guavaberry Rum in St. Martin it is cut with too much Sorrel Hibiscus. Oh damn could I be ...a Guavaberry Rum snob.
Bob_Chong
Posted on Monday, September 16, 2002 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I could live with the 66 pollutants (four of which toxic), but the taste...
Nolamour
Posted on Monday, September 16, 2002 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You ain't kidding Chong...You MUST filter.
Bob_Chong
Posted on Monday, September 16, 2002 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Obviously, here in Nawlins...you can buy anything all the time."

excepting potable tap water, of course.
Barsnake
Posted on Monday, September 16, 2002 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'll never figure out "Dry" counties...
I worked on a project in Sulphur Springs, Texas. It was a a dry county - but when we checked into the hotel we we're given a coupon to go to the "private club" in the back of the hotel. We went in and redeemed our coupon for a free drink. Looked like any other bar...When we asked for another drink we we're told that we could join the club for $50 per year - or find somebody to sponsor us. We asked if there was anybody to sponsor us and the cocktail waitress said she would. - ??? Every club we found had somebody that would sponsor us...and there lots of clubs.
Then buying a bottle for the room was a different adventure...we had to drive to Commerce - about 50 miles away where we could buy a bottle or a 12 pack for each person over 21 in the car. Once we bought what we wanted we could drive with an open container as long we we're not legally drunk - .10. Go figure...
Nolamour
Posted on Monday, September 16, 2002 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Strangely enough, Louisiana has different laws per parish. Blue Laws that is and yea parishes are the same as counties.
Obviously, here in Nawlins it's 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week; - you can buy anything all the time.
Alternatively, I went to college in N. Louisiana (also known as the Bible belt) and everything closed down at 2pm - Also, the only place to get liquor was 3 miles out of town. Beer was the only thing sold in town and they said it was illegal to sell alcohol. I'm still trying to figure out how beer (alcohol) is different than liquor (alcohol) - I always thought that was ridiculous.
Baz
Posted on Monday, September 16, 2002 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Where I live is a dry county too. So I just brew my own beer, which is NOT illegal. However, giving it away or selling it is!

Closest liquor store to me is in Tennessee.
Anatomist
Posted on Monday, September 16, 2002 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Becky,

I used to live right next to Star Liquor and I know the owner. They used to hang some of my sculptures over the counter. You'll find an excellent selection of beer and wine there - including a 'by appointment' cellar with the super-expensive wine, and some high end scotch, etc... You can get Chartreuse and Pastis but no absinthe. I got a bottle of Deva for one of the staff memebers once - I'm pretty sure it didn't exactly rock his world.

It's a great place, and if you ask the staff lots of questions, you can get quite an alcohol education. That's also a great neighborhood to live in if you can afford it.

http://www.starliquor.com/
Shiloh
Posted on Monday, September 16, 2002 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Where I live is a dry county. No alcohol of any kind."

No wonder Bob is so "on edge". Cheers, Bob!
Nolamour
Posted on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I love New Orleans...
Bob_Chong
Posted on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Becky:

Where I live is a dry county. No alcohol of any kind. And the nearest store (next county over) carries stuff as classy as Gossamer Bay and Milwaukee's Beast! And they have no liquor whatsoever. That's yet another county over.

BC
Beckbjj
Posted on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

K.,

Ah, okay, that could be. Hope you're right, because I'm moving to the Madison area within a year (from the cesspool that is Racine). It would be nice to walk into a grocery store or whatever after 9 p.m. and not find the liquor aisles blocked off. I know Racine, Kenosha, and I think also Milwaukee have the 9 p.m. rule. It can be very annoying. Speaking of Madison, last time I was there I noticed an ad for Star Liquors on Williamson that basically said they specialize in unusual/rare items. I now have this fantasy that if I walk in there and say just the right thing they'll take me to a secret room with a stock of absinthe for sale to their "special" customers. ;-)

Bob,

Where I live all liquor stores close by 9 p.m., and stores that stay open past 9 p.m. that also sell liquor (grocery stores, Wal-Mart, etc.) physically block off the liquor department so no one can even try to slip by the rule. :-(

Becky
Bob_Chong
Posted on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sam's isn't really a typical "liquor store" like the ones that rake in most of their dough after dark. It's the kind of place my dad goes to once a month and buys seventeen different bottles of wine.
Anatomist
Posted on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Becky,

In Maple Bluff - a Madison suburb - there was a store called Vic Pierce's that sold beer and wine coolers between 9 and midnight. Needless to say it was very busy during those hours. Maple Bluff had different laws than the rest of the city.

Is it really a state law that nothing over a certain alchohol percentage can be sold after 9? I always assumed it was just a city law.

K.
Beckbjj
Posted on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

If you can purchase liquor after 9 p.m. (anywhere besides Sam's ;-) count yourself lucky. In Wisconsin liquor can't be sold after 9 p.m. at all (except at bars, restaurants, etc.).

Becky
Bellypock
Posted on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Crowlyman and I discussed picking up a bottle of Herbsainte to sample, and I've been meaning to route myself in the direction of Sam's (huge wine and spirits shop in downtown Chicago) on the way home from work. So last night my sibs and I are taking my mother out to dinner and a play about 3 blocks from Sam's. "Great!" I think to myself, "8PM performance, clear us out for the 10PM by 9:30ish, no problem." BIG PROBLEM! Sam's closes at 9PM! What kind of self respecting liquor establishment closes at 9PM? I can't even check my mailbox today to see if my package from Markus has arrived. Arrgghh!

Eric

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page