Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through September 15, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Arts & Other Philosophical Sundries » FILM FORUM » Suggestions For Film Discussion Topics » Archive through September 15, 2002 « Previous Next »

Shayne
Posted on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 6:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Bob, For discussion: Both.
Bob_Chong
Posted on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Touch of Evil--the released cut or "restored" cut?
Marccampbell
Posted on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Something I've always wanted to do in a forum setting is take one film and discuss it in great detail. Would you all be interested in doing this? Here's a list of films that I think could generate some in-depth discussion:

FIGHT CLUB
BLUE VELVET
DON'T LOOK NOW
LAST TANGO IN PARIS
TOUCH OF EVIL
HOLY SMOKE
EL TOPO
VERTIGO
PERFORMANCE
CRASH
SISTERS
TAXI DRIVER

Any suggestions?
Shayne
Posted on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

lars von triers- the kingdom prts 1&2
Shayne
Posted on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Bjac,
I've never seen either one! I've lived a sheltered life, mostly buried in a hole then never getting up 'till the video stores are closed, damn what life! Ever see Blood and Donuts?
Bjacques
Posted on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 7:25 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Haw! Sounds like a great double feature with Skidoo or Black Lizard, both of which came out that year.
Shayne
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Movie that changed my life, easy, BOOM! after seeing that I knew I had a purpose. Its Great to be able to say that somewhere that no one can get at you for it.
Pokerface11
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

String - You're in my neighborhood and you like Zappa. I'm glad you've also found Keaton. Lansman!
String
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have been watching the early Buster Keaton films. The ones that he directed himself before he was turned into a studio buffoon. I think his genius as a director matches Chaplin. If you haven't seen any, check out his work from 1920 to 1929.
Pataphysician
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Movie That Changed My Life: Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf."

Ha ha! It definitely DID change my life! I didn't see it until I was about 23. I had been living with a woman for a couple of years and it was a very stormy relationship. I drove her to a University several states away where she was going to start grad school and be an English professor. She wanted me to move there with her, but I was hesitating. That night "Who's Afraid" was on TV and we watched it together. Secretly I thought: "Holy shit! That's us!" And I saw our future together laid out in front of me. I dumped her soon after. Now that's the power of cinema.
Bjacques
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 3:31 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Because I LOATHE bananas!

Unnoticed in the memorial celebrations, actress Kim Hunter, aged 79, died quietly in her New York apartment. She is best known in the mainstream film press for starring opposite Marlon Brando in "A Streetcar Named Desire," but better known to sci-fi film geeks as Zira in "Planet of the Apes" (1968), "Beneath the Planet of the Apes" (1970) and "Escape From the Planet of the Apes" (1971).

In the last, she is Dr. Zira, presumably having had her veterinary degree granted by Dr. Zaius shortly before their planet did the big firework.

Zira was always a studious girl, preferring to work summer internships at the Koko Memorial Veterinary Clinic rather than go to Burning Ape with her bonobo friends. Her diligence was rewarded on her home planet but, as is the case with many degreed Third (or Future) World immigrants, could only find work in an American circus.

Zira was predeceased by her husband Cornelius, a musician in Japan, and is survived by a son, Caesar, currently working in the domestic industry in Century City, California.

Mourners are asked to give donations to the World Wildlife Fund in lieu of flowers.
Melgib
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Interesting directors I'd love to study in-depth:
Alison Anders
Jane Campion
Mary Harron
Nancy Savoca
Martha Coolidge
Agnes Varda
Martin Scorsese
David Lynch
Steven Soderbergh
Quentin Tarantino
James Cameron
Joel & Ethan Coen
Robert Altman
Alan Rudolph
Tim Burton
David Fincher
Sam Mendes
Robert Rodriguez
Richard Linklater
Cecil B. DeMille (don't you be messin' with Cecil -- if EGR was good enough for da king of da spectacle, he's good enough for me)
Bellypock
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

Bob_Chong wrote:

Soylent manna is people, people!

Get your stinkin' hands off me you damn, dirty Egyptian!
Bob_Chong
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Movie That Changed My Life: Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf.

Well, maybe it didn't change my life, but I was completely blown away when I saw it. In fact, I was astonished that I hadn't seen it before and that no one had ever recommended it to me. Taylor and Burton were superb. It remains in my top 10 if not top 5 of all time.
Bob_Chong
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I actually thought EGR was great in the Ten Commandments. He was the perfect slimy little weasel for the part.

Soylent manna is people, people!
Pataphysician
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

John Wayne in another Biblical classic, I dunno, "The Robe"? as a Roman soldier after the crucifiction:

"Surely, he was the Son O' God."
Bellypock
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Another classic Edward G Robinson miscasting: Dathan in The Ten Commandments.

"Where's your Messiah NEEOOWW?"

IMO, One of the funniest moments in cinema.

Eric
Barsnake
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Considering Mordantiabat's post regarding Michael Jackson playing Edgar Allen Poe - why not Worst Casting Blunders
Edward G. Robinson - I'm a Yankie Doodle Dandy
John Wayne as a singing cowboy
Chevalier
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Speaking of Alejandro Jodorowsky ...

Did you know that in the '70s, Jodorowsky tried to bring Frank Herbert's novel DUNE to the screen? The cast of collaborators he put together was incredible. Pink Floyd offered to write the score at the peak of its creativity. Salvador Dali, Gloria Swanson, and Orson Welles were cast. Dan O'Bannon was hired to supervise special effects; illustrator Chris Foss to design spacecraft; H.R. Giger to design the world of Geidi Prime and the Harkonnens; and artist Jean 'Moebius' Giraud drew thousands of sketches.

Tragically, the project collapsed in 1977 ... subsequently being passed on to Ridley Scott, and then to David Lynch.
Chevalier
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

South American directors: Who's the best among the following?

Sergio Castilla ("Te Amo")

Alejandro Amenabar ("Tesis", "Abre los Ojos", "The Others")

Cristián Galaz ("El Chacotero Sentimental")

Alejandro Jodorowsky, ("Fando y Lis", "El Topo", "The Holy Mountain", "Santa Sangre", "El Ladrón del Arcoiris")
Barsnake
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Spielberg = $$$ machine
enuff said
Admin
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Steven Spielberg: Do you have to ask?"
Pataphysician
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Steven Spielberg: Hack or Charlatan?"
Admin
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I liked your previous list:

Quote:

THE MOVIE THAT CHANGED MY LIFE.

DRUGS AND BOOZE IN THE MOVIES.

THE BEST MOVIES OF THE '70S, '80S, '90S.
(we'll take one decade at a time)

THE BLOOD POETS - VIOLENCE IN THE MOVIES.
(Scorsese, Cronenberg, Argento, Bava...)

Marc
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

From time time to we will focus on a film, director, or genre to discuss. Any suggestions?

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page