Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through September 15, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Arts & Other Philosophical Sundries » FILM FORUM » THE MOVIE THAT CHANGED MY LIFE » Archive through September 15, 2002 « Previous Next »

Shayne
Posted on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 6:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Speaking of Buffy : That was a good trick had me fooled until he (Angel) kept making comments.
Shayne
Posted on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 6:34 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"The place reminds me of the ending of THE COMMITMENTS"

Does that mean you think I may end up a sucessful Country Singer or Playing Wanker Music?
Pokerface11
Posted on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 6:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quietly resolute, shayne. You won't be seeing me on the NYT forums again (except the Buffy forum). The place reminds me of the ending of THE COMMITMENTS, a good thing devolved into chaos. If the same thing happens here, you won't see me at all.
Shayne
Posted on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 6:20 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Good Morning Poker, how are you feeling?
Shayne
Posted on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 6:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I just 'loved' the Queen of Outer Space poster from British Film Labs.. it shows the girls being friendly in contrast to the American one which showed them ganged-up on a guy!
Pokerface11
Posted on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 6:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Marantz - I guess because I'm in the publishing business, the whole idea of how color is separated and layered is a very familiar concept--one used in printing. I do enjoy the technical aspects of film making, though I know little about it. I'm one of those "how did they DO that?" people.

I'm glad you enjoyed the site.

Pataphysician - You might be interested in how they "mass produced" hand-tinted films for distribution. It's quite ingenious.
Marantz
Posted on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks
poker,
for that colour tutorial. Very interesting, though I skimmed a lot of the technical stuff because I had no idea what they were talking about. Very interesting site and some great pictures. Thanks again.
Pataphysician
Posted on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Poker:

No apology necessary. Frankly, I was just guessing that it was handtinted. It was colored and that's all I remembered.
Pokerface11
Posted on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Check out the Widescreen Museum. It's got all the dope on color, sound and widescreen.

www.widescreenmuseum.com
Marantz
Posted on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Does anybody remember Cinecolor. I think it was use in all the Republic westerns. Everyone's eyes were blue. There was a rust type of tint to everthing.
Pokerface11
Posted on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Pataphysician - I owe you an apology. THIEF of BAGDAD was hand-tinted, not Technicolor. Because Douglas Fairbanks was a champion of Technicolor, I made an erroneous assumption.
Nilson
Posted on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

3000 Miles to Graceland changed my life in that I stopped trusting other people's opinions on Cleverly Ironic Trash That is Supposedly Really Quite Funny.

Huey Lewis was right: sometimes bad is bad.
Joalco
Posted on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Meet the Feebles.

(insert sarcasm here)

In fact, it's hard for me to label any single movie as life-changing. How do you grade them? Which attributes count more? Dammit, I have a hard enough time keeping a current top ten list -- it changes every few FREAKING MINUTES!!!!

AAAHH....

Sorry about that. I'm going to tear my hair out now.

In the mean time, here's a current (at least until I'm done typing it and remember a film I've overlooked) top ten (ten flicks, no specific order):

The Godfather, Part 2
Dawn of the Dead
City of Lost Children
Princess & the Warrior
The Seventh Seal
Element of Crime
High Fidelity
Donnie Darko
Blue Velvet
Chasing Amy
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The Wombles!
Pataphysician
Posted on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

SHOAH
Shayne
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Barsnake, I just finished South of Heaven...we have to talk.
Barsnake
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Turning 30 was traumatic for me. I was in a dead-end job, had not been playing in a band, just plain - general doldrums.
A friend suggested I go to a movie - that always worked to cheer her up...
I went to see Being There.
That did it - what a great movie. Peter Sellers was absolutely fantastic. Still catch it from time to time...and - still love it.
"Life is just state of Mind"
Pokerface11
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Pataphysician - I'm a huge silent film fan, and I guess you could say a PBS tv program that showed nothing but silent films was a formative experience for me in my youth.

BTW, small correction. The magnificent THIEF OF BAGHDAD was not hand-tinted. It was done in a two-strip Technicolor process Fairbanks also used for THE BLACK PIRATE. I saw a screening of the latter this summer, and one of the color cameras used to shoot the feature was on display in the lobby, along with a film historian to explain how it worked.
Pataphysician
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Thief of Bagdad" changed my aesthetic life. I saw the restored hand-tinted version and it opened my eyes to those early silent films. The art of film lost a lot when they put all that chattering in them.
Nilson
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 7:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Marc, Poker, et al.

Foreign films have had more of a "changing" effect for me, when they introduce me to a perspective that is really different, that really challenges my observations and assumptions as I'm stationed here in mid America. A Japanese film festival, when I was about 22, really blew my mind, opening a window into a mindset so different from what I knew. Dark movies, as Hippie mentioned, also do that for me, stretching my imagination and awareness of what sorts of archetypal dark forces are "in there." Especially movies that treat vividly and with originality the notion of the monster within, e.g. Silence of the Lambs. Anyone who does psychological horror owes a debt to Hitchcock.
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 6:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Pandora's Box".

"La Dolce Vita".

"Lawrence of Arabia".

"Black Moon".
Bjacques
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 4:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's hard to say, since I paid more attention to books and music, and was drawn to movies according to how well they explained just what the hell was going on.

In the Seventies it was disaster movies, then sci-fi, like Alien. Star Wars was ok, but not life-changing.

Dark Star, Alien, Bladerunner and Brazil get chops because they were the first to portray futures that had a lived-in look.

Brazil especially, because it explained The System as buffoonish and gratuitous, sometimes murderously so, but not really run by anybody. It was a good antidote to conspiracy theories (like the suppressed 200-mpg carburetor) that I was just starting to notice. That still sums things up, as far as I'm concerned.

The Adventures of Baron Munchhausen, for reminding me there really are no Turks massing outside the gates and that the world is a fantastic place.

In the mid-80s, the Church of the Subgenius video, since it was about people doing a lot of weird things that I'd only vaguely heard of before, and I wanted a piece of that.
Marc
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Movies have changed my life. Probably more than any art form other than rock and roll.
One of the first cinematic mindfuckers in my life was seeing PSYCHO at the age of 9 years old. My father took me to see it in 1960. It completely
freaked me out. For weeks after seeing it, I was haunted by Mama Bates. The shrill screetching of Bernard Hermann's score burrowed into my tiny head - a 1000 maniacal banshees. And Mama Bates hovered over my bed, a malevolent cloud, knife in hand like a lightning bolt. PSYCHO ruined me forever. It was also my salvation. The magic of art was revealed to me in that movie. A great story, film, book, painting,
record, has the power to affect you in ways that can alter your life. PSYCHO, in its profoundly haunting and disturbing way, created in me a deep and lasting respect for the intensity of an artist's vision. Hitchcock was my entry into a Jungian landscape of mirrorshades, sucking swamps, spiralling drain water, the iris of an eye, the shrieking smile of death on the face of a corpse in the basement of my deepest darkest imaginings. PSYCHO introduced me to a dirty filthy secret: the dark side is rich with teachings and insight. Do not fear what you fear,
learn from it.
Pokerface11
Posted on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have never seen a movie that "instantaneously" changed my life. I have seen plenty of movies that engaged my emotions very deeply, that resonated with my soul, that taught me more about myself. But that is the ongoing human project, IMO. RESTORATION sent me into a cleansing crying jag that helped me get over my divorce. 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY gave me the experience of space travel on earth. THE HOUSE OF MIRTH gave me a character to completely identify with and understand my place in the social order of things. ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN affirmed in me (and zillions of other people) a vocation I felt drawn to for many years.
Marc
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

THE MOVIE THAT CHANGED YOUR LIFE.

Is there a movie that changed your life?
Can a movie change your life?

It can be more than one.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page