Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Absinthe kit? whazzat?

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Absinthe kit? whazzat? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through October 21, 2002Zman725 10-21-02  10:04 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Tristan_Ii
Posted on Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 4:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Do not stare at Happy Fun Absinthe. Do not expose Happy Fun Absinthe to water, air, or skin. If Happy Fun Absinthe begins to heat up or smoke, carefully put Happy Fun Absinthe down and run away as fast as you can.
Petermarc
Posted on Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

a 'spiriteux aux plantes de absinthe' can contain 10mg/ltr
an 'amer (bitter) aux plantes de absinthe' can contain 35mg/ltr

this is EU law, which supersedes individual countries' law within the EU...or not
_Blackjack
Posted on Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Absinthe may eat through some types of plastic. Store Absinthe in an air-tight glass container"
Orgulasmaggot
Posted on Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Just a note on Petermarc's point of Oct 21st:

Maybe the *flush* of 'absinthes' coming to market now with 'niche' hip branding (Jekyll wasn't it? and such like) are using Strand's 'Prestige' or other essences?

Would explain why his essence is formulated to yield thujone levels of 10mg or less per liter (I think that's it), which is the German standard maximum, isn't it?
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ooh, is that Kallisti's artwork there?

Why, yes it is!
Pataphysician
Posted on Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Go to his Guestbook and tell him what you think of his article. I did.

http://www.newspeakdictionary.com/ns_frames.html
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Ignore your taste buds. They are your worst enemy."

War is peace.
The truth is a lie.

Absinthe gives you hairy palms and shrinks your genitalia.
Crosby
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Here's some other yummy alternatives and some really sound advice to boot.

http://www.newspeakdictionary.com/pf-absinthe.html
Orgulasmaggot
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Zman7, Petermarc:

Points both well taken.

Gert's stuff seems pretty high calibre, but I'm sure it's no where near the quality of a good professionally distilled lot.

It's a temptation, however.

Like $30US delivered for a bottle of essence that one may have to fiddle with to $100 for some REALY splendid pro stuff.

In parts of the world where high proof alcohol is LEGALLY available, making a bottle of essence-based Absinthe costs ca 25$ versus 100$ for the 'good stuff'.

For now, my near-Absinthe is quite nice actually--louche and all

And I guess that during 'La Belle Epoque', the quality of absinthe varied quite a lot. I shall resign myself to my bottom shelf Green Fairy for now and I will, however, start saving my lunch money for a bottle of Pernod 68.

$2 for a bottle of this essence (plus s&h) plus ca $20 for the high test alcohol (mixed with 125 ml of wormwood schnapps and six drops of star anise oil) will keep me happy until then.

Thanks!
Petermarc
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

federico from spririts corner alluded to the fact that the majority of booze-makers use these 'essences,'
as opposed to actually distilling the product themselves...

kind of like 'surimi'

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page