Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Pernods at BevMo....

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Pernods at BevMo.... « Previous Next »

String
Posted on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I just tried Bardouin and Herbsaint side by side. I purchased both last weekend at Sam's. Both were tasted 4:1 without sugar. They are very different, but it's impossible to say which is better.
The Bardouin is copper colored and has a very strong milky white louch. The texture is thick and viscous and the flavor is only of anise with a noticeable spicy finish. After drinking so much Spanish absinthe, it's strange drinking this and not getting my tongue numbed.
The Herbsaint has many more flavors from start to finish. The Herbsaint is flowery and herbal, but also very thin and watery compared to the Bardouin.
Petermarc
Posted on Sunday, September 22, 2002 - 7:22 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

i have found most araks to be better tasting than ouzo, in gerneral...
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Here's an interesting anise liqueur that many of us will be able to find locally (the brand seems pretty well distributed): Arak Razzouk. Arak is the Lebanese/Palestinian variant of raki, ouzo or distilled anis.

The label says "made of distilled grape juice flavored with anis". That's pretty much what you taste. It's a very simple drink but quite pleasant, with that grape spirit smoothness that's so enjoyable in Segarra.
Crosby
Posted on Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I thought it was:

"Absinthe makes the tart grow fonder".
Artist
Posted on Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 3:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Just tell her:

Quote:

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder...

a.
Tristan_Ii
Posted on Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, in fact I do get pussy. That's part of the whole point of a girlfriend, yes?

And hey, she's going to be the one subsidizing this little experiment of mine, so I should be nice to her.
Artist
Posted on Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Pussy...(oh no...I take that back...this is the politcally correct board.)!!!
Tristan_Ii
Posted on Friday, September 20, 2002 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am limited to what I can find locally, at least at this point. Discussions about Absinthe have made my quest for the Fairy take a temporary pause while I research information for my girl, stating that I'm not going to get arrested for having a bottle, and that I'm not going to go insane.

You know, for a French plot, the burning of Absinthe worked really really REALLY well.

Sheesh.
Pataphysician
Posted on Friday, September 20, 2002 - 7:20 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

What he said.
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Friday, September 20, 2002 - 6:05 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Lord, no. Get Ricard or Henri Bardouin. Pernod pastis isn't very good.
Tristan_Ii
Posted on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you, that's what I wanted to know.

I think I'll be making some purchases this weekend.... Pernod Pastis and a 6-pack of Ace.... oh yeah.

I assume there are no "herbal" effects with a pastis.... not that that's what I'm after, but it's good to know. i'm pretty sure not, but I figure I should ask first so as not to end up surprising myself.
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 6:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The same way one drinks absinthe: in a water goblet-sized glass, with ice water dripped or slowly poured to taste.
Tristan_Ii
Posted on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

And how does one drink a pastis? It seems to be selling as a wine... does one just drink it that way, or louche it, or pour it over kibble....

I'm easily confused right now. *sigh*
Wolfgang
Posted on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Bardouin is my favorite (complexe and spicy). Muse verte is nice. Pastis d'Antan Combier is also interesting.

I don't drink pastis very often but who would with a nice supply of Moonman`s at hand ?!

I had a 3-4 weeks period of absinthe abstinence when for some reason I couldn't palate it at all (any brand, any hausgemachte), I was just drinking scotch. This week I came back to my green sin with a glass of Emile and some other of a strange mix of different batches of Moonman`s that have turned quite nice after some aging.

Pastis ? ok, if there`s no absinthe around.
Pataphysician
Posted on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 7:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Try a $20 bottle of Henri Bardouin. There's got to be a liquor store somewhere near you that has it. A long time ago I did a side-by-side tasting of it and Segarra and thought they tasted similar.
Tristan_Ii
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Great! I have to go to BevMo to pick up more cider in a week or so anyways, I'll see if I can pick up a bottle of Pastis while I'm there.

One of my chief worries about actually investing $100+ in a bottle of the Green Stuff is my fear that I'll buy it, and with great excitment pour, louche, sip..... and hate it.

So now I can at least get in the ballpark, albeit in the bleachers, to see if I like the game.
Crowlyman
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have actually heard nothing but good things about Herbsaint. I don't remember any really bad things about it, and since I don't much like the Pernod pastis I thought I might try it. What brands of pastis do you like, Wolfgang?
Mogan_David
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I remember it being more yellow than green.

I actually thought it was pretty good for what it was. At $11 a bottle it didn't need to be as good as Guy or Segarra.

It beats Absente by a long shot.
Wolfgang
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Is there really someone on this board who actually LIKE herbsaint ?

It is sooo artificialy neon like I couldn't down a glass.
Crowlyman
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ah, I forgot all about that one! Nola and I had set up a little something awhile back, but I decided against it and put the herbsaint money towards some absinthe.
Pataphysician
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

To the rescue:

http://www.hitimewine.com/spirits_2.htm#cordials

They've got Herbsaint, La Muse Verte, maybe others, too.
Crowlyman
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

What friggin online shops will ship in Illinois? BevMo won't and I can't find any other shops that have pastis. I want Herbsaint and hopefully they carry something else besides Pernod.
Pataphysician
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Pastis and Absinthe compare not like apples and jackrabbits, but apples and oranges. They're in the same family. Most Pastis is heavy on the anis, has sugar in it and lacks some of the herbal flavors. That said, I love Pastis.

Prado is pretty much the lowest of the low. I've never heard of Granier, but look at the company he keeps. One-dimensional, like an anisette. I've never had Pernod or Absente, no one around here has much good to say about them.

Here are some brands that you can probably find somewhere in your area: Henri Bardouin is the best value, I'd say. Tastes very close to the better Spanish Absinthes. Ricard is less interesting, but still quite good. La Muse Verte is the closest that Pastis gets to Absinthe, but it's expensive. It's not sweetened and they use something (sage, maybe?) as a wormwood substitute. You actually need to use sugar with it, which you don't at all with other Pastis.
Tristan_Ii
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I did a search for Pernods and Pastis(and Absinthe too.... I had to try) at the BevMo site.

they came up with 2 that I haven't heard of.

PRADO PERNOD
GRANIER mon Pastis

And of course, Absente.

So has anyone tried these before, and how do they compare to Absinthe proper?

How does a Pernod/PAstis reflect on Absinthe? Is it comparing apples and Jackrabbits?

Thanks again. Someday I won't be a total newb.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page