Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

NOW PLAYING

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Arts & Other Philosophical Sundries » FILM FORUM » NOW PLAYING « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through October 23, 2002Bjacques25 10-23-02  1:34 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Marc
Posted on Tuesday, December 3, 2002 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

alpha,

I love Tarkovsky. His films are slow-moving but visually ravishing. NOSTALGHIA is my favorite.Tarkovsky's SOLARIS is demanding (to some, boring). I admire it. The ending is a mindblower.

Soderbergh is a hack with pretensions of being an artist.
Alphasoixante
Posted on Tuesday, December 3, 2002 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

sure, but was it worse than the original?

you want russian film? I got your russian film right here: eisenstein, kalatozov, vertov. the holy trinity. but don't fall for that tarkovsky crap.
Marc
Posted on Monday, December 2, 2002 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

SOLARIS is awful. Soderbergh has created art film bullshit at its worst. Tedious, self-important, hollow. Unintentional self-parody. Avoid. Unclean.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Saturday, November 9, 2002 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah! BOIY!!! Been busy, but the buzz
at work yesterday was that there wasn't
a theatre in SE MI that wasn't sold out
for this weekend.

Whether it's true or not, I didn't try.
As I said, busy.

Hope to see it... Probably see a bunch of
wonderful Detroit landmarks that my mother
would shit herself over if she knew I'd been
stupid enough to play around in when I was
a teenie ween and art school student.

Picture it, me, Uncle and Morrigan all
galavanting around seperate parts of Detroit
at the same time...

I MADE KID ROCK MY BITCH!
Marc
Posted on Saturday, November 9, 2002 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

8 MILE is the real deal and Eminem is a bonafide
actor. The movie definitely transcends the hype.
Bjacques
Posted on Tuesday, November 5, 2002 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

xXx just opened here a couple of weeks ago. I found it good dumb fun. Since it's set in Prague, there's the obligatory absinthe with the flaming spoonful of sugar, at a Rammstein show, where the James Bond surrogate gets scragged because he's obviously out of his depth.

Standard James Bond conventions/cliches: cackling villain, fatally naive henchmen. The post-Soviet, Wild East decadence is a bit dated, and somehow there are double-diamond snowboard slopes a half hour outside of Prague, but what the hell.

Afterwards I downloaded the soundtrack bits I liked, since the CD is guaranteed to be boobytrapped.

See it stoned or drunk on cheap absinthe.
Admin
Posted on Tuesday, November 5, 2002 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Marc,

I read most of those reviews, and I found that the ones that didn't like it mostly complained that it was too long and artsy and dramatic.

You know me, those are my favorite things ... and I am an afficianado of the costume drama, especially of the art/lit type.

It looks to be just my thing.
Nolamour
Posted on Monday, November 4, 2002 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Now Playing...
The new TV version of the classic "Carrie" by Stephen King. COME ON!!!!! Why the hell screw up a good thing?

I'm not saying that the original Carrie was the greatest film around, but it was from my youth and it made an impact on my fears at the time.

Leave old movies alone! Let them be classics!
Marc
Posted on Monday, November 4, 2002 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

kallisti,

I'm not too sure you should be upset about missing CHILDREN OF THE CENTURY. It has received pretty dismal reviews.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/childrenofthecnetury-1116577/
Barsnake
Posted on Monday, November 4, 2002 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

OK - I'm probably gonna get blasted for this -
But I went to see Jackass the other day...I've seen some of the TV bits but I didn't really know what to expect. I kinda thought there would be some funny moments but thar overall it would be rather dismal.
I have never laughed so much at a movie. There were parts that were surreal - "Night Pandas".
There were gross parts and just plain silly parts - but I still laughed. - So hard in fact that my sides hurt. At times I could not get a breath.
It even became funny watching people leave the theatre. Definitely not everybody's cup of tea. But I thought it was damn funny.
Bjacques
Posted on Monday, November 4, 2002 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It looks great! I'll have to see if it's coming to Amsterdam, though Dutch subtitles aren't the best way to interpret romantic dialogue.
Admin
Posted on Monday, November 4, 2002 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'd like to find out if anyone has seen this film:

les Enfants du siècle (The Children of the Century)

I only found out about it this weekend after seeing an interview with Binoche ... George Sand is a patron saint of sepulchritude, and I would have liked (loved!) to see this film. but it looks like it was only released in LA/NY. bleh!

Let us hope/pray that it gets a dvd release. Feeling nearly desperate that I missed it.
Marc
Posted on Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, it seems that our new film critic, soozala,
is right on regarding FRIDA. The reviews are not good. And the reasons are pretty much in accord with soozala's review. Sooz, thanks for the scoop.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page