Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

DIRECTORS

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Arts & Other Philosophical Sundries » FILM FORUM » DIRECTORS « Previous Next »

Bjacques
Posted on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 4:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Actually, this was supposed to be secret until November, but the producers of the Harry Potter movies briefly considered taking a radical direction for the fifth movie, in case J. K. Rowling didn't produce a fifth book (apparently she has). In the end, the project was scrapped.

This was the basic plot:

The Death Eaters return to power as part of the general rightward trend in European governments.

Dumbledore is fired as Hogwarts headmaster and replaced with a DE stooge, as are pretty much all the teachers. The new Potions master (Snape being still undercover) has dosed all the students with a fatal poison for which there is only enough antidote for one. The students are put in the Forbidden Forest, given one magic item apiece and told to go at it.

Trouble ensues with hilrious results.
Shayne
Posted on Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 3:19 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Joalco I'm down with that, maybe we'll just go crusin' one night scopin' a likly victim.
Ehle64
Posted on Friday, September 20, 2002 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I might as well add this name to this forum, too.

Stephen Frears

I watched "Liam" again last night, it was on a premium cable channel. It was better the second time. A really depressing film, but also very life-like.
Joalco
Posted on Friday, September 20, 2002 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Poker ~

Beat Takeshi didn't direct Battle Royale. It was helmed by Kinji Fukasaku, who directed Tora! Tora! Tora!, along with countless yakuza gangster flicks.

Shayne ~

It's rumored that Fukasaku is filming a sequel to Battle Royale, but that filming has been kept hush-hush after all the controversy and uproar the first film caused. Of course it wouldn't have the same impact as the first film, but I for one would kill (drumroll, please) to see it.
Shayne
Posted on Friday, September 20, 2002 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Joalco, I agree the whole thing was a great workout just to keep up with and the ending was a bit of a surprise. I would like to see all his stuff before the accident.
Pokerface11
Posted on Friday, September 20, 2002 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

He was responsible for that snoozefest KIKUJIRO, wasn't he? No, thanks.
Joalco
Posted on Friday, September 20, 2002 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I loved seeing Takeshi in Battle Royale...

A twisted movie, but a great performance.
Nolamour
Posted on Friday, September 20, 2002 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

No kidding...

I didn't know he was directing as well as acting. I've seen Sonatine and one other. Very fine.
Shayne
Posted on Friday, September 20, 2002 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Takeshi (Beat) Kitano, NEW king of Japanese films...Long live the King.
Nolamour
Posted on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Akira Kurasawa: High king of classic Japanese Films.
Pataphysician
Posted on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I may have seen it on network TV, too. I don't recall renting it. Some program director probably got fired over that!

It bombed in 1951 because people thought it was over the top, but any audience today would nod their head and say, "Yup, that's the way it is."
Pokerface11
Posted on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Then my memory is correct. If you can believe this, it was on network television when I was a teenager. It was so sad and obscene and blistering, I still remember it. I don't think I'd want to see it again. It's a devastating film. But I highly recommend it.
Pataphysician
Posted on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 7:24 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, ACE IN THE HOLE is fantastic. I saw it about a year ago. Kirk Douglas is a reporter (trying not to spoil here) who manipulates the tragedy of a trapped miner into a huge media-circus to boost his own career. I'm a huge Kirk Douglas fan and this is one of his best. Also excellent script, cinematography, etc, etc.

I just dug up this from The Hollywood Reporter, circa 1951: "Ruthless and cynical, Ace in the Hole is a distorted study of corruption and mob psychology that, in the reviewer’s opinion, is nothing more than a brazen, uncalled-for slap in the face of two respected and frequently effective American institutions—democratic government and the free press."

Now that's my kind of film!
Pokerface11
Posted on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 6:17 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

String - You have given me the best news of my day. I missed seeing KISS ME, STUPID at the Siskel Center (it gets harder and harder to make the trip downtown), and now here it is in my own back yard!

I very much like THE SPIRIT OF ST. LOUIS. It's not a "Billy Wilder" film in the sense of his screwball sex comedies. It's important to remember that Wilder acted as a studio boss at Paramount. As such, he was involved in a lot of different types of projects. Paramount is an interesting Hollywood studio--not run by the New York money the way even the imperious Louis B. Mayer was.

As to the others, I have heard ACE IN THE HOLE (THE BIG CARNIVAL) is a must-see. Something tells me I have seen it. Is that the one where a miner is trapped underground? If so, sad and biting film.
String
Posted on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

A new theater in my neighborhood is showing a Billy Wilder series. Six Wilder films that I have not seen. Avanti!, Five Graves to Cairo, The Big Carnival, The Spirit of St. Louis, Kiss Me, Stupid, and The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes. Any opinions? Are any of these must sees?
Here is the link for Poker and the rest of the Chicago area members: http://www.blockmuseum.northwestern.edu/education/nufilms.html
Shayne
Posted on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 7:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Actually It was crawling with Elfmans(Elfmen?)
Art by Marie-Pascale Elfman, Music by Danny Elfman and who could forget the Mystic Knights of the Oingo-Boingo(all the above and More)
Bjacques
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Richard Elfman - Forbidden Zone
Joalco
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

A handful of my current favorite directors (still working):

David Lynch
David Fincher
Takeshi Miike
Kinji Fukasaku
Kevin Smith
Ron Mann
Steve Buscemi
Terry Gilliam
Jean-Pierre Jeunet
Wes Anderson

And a couple of promising newbies...

Richard Kelly (Donnie Darko)
John Fawcett (Ginger Snaps)
Melgib
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

print!
Marc
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

cut!
Marccampbell
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

go for it.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page