Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

CLASSICS

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Arts & Other Philosophical Sundries » FILM FORUM » CLASSICS « Previous Next »

Nolamour
Posted on Friday, September 20, 2002 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Not silent...

Cool Hand Luke
Blade Runner
The Outlaw Josie Wales
Apocalypse Now

Further Back...

On the Waterfront
Seven Samurai
Citizen Kane
The Bridge on River Kwai

All awesome!
Alphasoixante
Posted on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

DE BRUG, 1928, Joris Ivens, Netherlands

short, silent, abstract montage. starring a bridge, playing itself, telling the story of an 11 minute period in the life and loves of aforementioned bridge. there is a suprise appearance [SPOILER ALERT] by a train.

it's lovely. make you wanna spit in shakespeare's face. or coppola's. make you wanna say, give it up, film's done.

other good ones by Ivens: REGEN (starring a rainstorm, playing itself) and PHILIPS RADIO (film commissioned by Philips radio co, starring the phillips factory)
Pataphysician
Posted on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The greatest thing I've seen lately is "Les Vampires" filmed in Paris in 1915. It's an episodic story -- 7 hours long -- that is way too complicated to relate here, except to say that it's not about vampires, that's just the name of the criminal gang in this detective story. The plot twists and action are outrageous -- way over the top. The film itself is really something to watch, very fresh, because it has none of the technical cliches that developed later. It's in a transition period between theater and cinema. A lot of it was filmed outside and it's amazing to see what Paris really looked like at the end of the Absinthe Age. And it stars the ravishing Musidora as the anti-hero. It was a huge influence on the Surrealists.

There's a plot summary here:

http://www.mdle.com/ClassicFilms/HotTips/hottip75.htm
Pokerface11
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I believe the Dreyer "soundtrack" was music, not voices.
Bjacques
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Carl Theodore Dreyer's "Vampyr," which turns out not to have been silent after all. Or maybe it never was. All I know is that when I saw it in a university dorm cafeteria 20 years ago, it was silent, but last year the Amsterdam Film Museum screened it with a soundtrack found in France. I'm fuzzy on the details. Anybody?

The evil doctor looked like Mark Twain.
Marc
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Silent films?
Marccampbell
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

go for it.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page