Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

DVD/VIDEO

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Arts & Other Philosophical Sundries » FILM FORUM » DVD/VIDEO « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through September 19, 2002Raschied25 9-19-02  8:06 pm
Archive through October 06, 2002Shayne25 10-6-02  7:54 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Bjacques
Posted on Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 4:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

While back in the Texas for a week, I drove madly down Memory Lane and right through the lobby of the Secret Cinema.

On DVD I got...

The Final Programme
J-Men Forever
Get Christy Love + Hit Lady
They Saved Hitler's Brain + The Frozen Dead
Nothing Sacred (1937, Fredric March & Carole Lombard)

On tape I got...

The Master & Margarita (1988, Poland, Verawench woulda loved this one)
Things To Come (1936)

Off to watch videos and snort Peace Gas
Nolamour
Posted on Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Marc,

Since you, I think, were the only one to know my friend Jim Van Bebber, (indi-director in L.A.) do you know David Packard?
He has been distributing free copies of his DVD "Reflections of Evil" all over Los Angeles.

The majority response has been negative, but DAMN, I saw this tonight.
It makes Gummo look like Sesame Street. I laughed my ass off...while others were disturbed.

http://www.reflectionsofevil.com/ - Listen to the voice response.
2loucheltrec
Posted on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

i have to agree about the subtitles, too... when i got my "brotherhood ..." dvd i made the mistake of trying to watch the dubbed version ... it made me half sick , i had to stopped it and start again with the subtitled version.... much better!
Bjacques
Posted on Tuesday, November 5, 2002 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Brotherhood of the Wolf was great! I saw it on the big screen too. Everything here in Amsterdam is subtitled, not dubbed. Good thing too, since there's been a spate of decent French movies coming through, but I can't follow spoken French at all.

I've got Vidocq on DVD, but my version has Dutch subtitles. I'd like to see good English titles. There's a second disc with interesting commentary by the writer.
Pataphysician
Posted on Tuesday, November 5, 2002 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

...and Godzilla movies.
Admin
Posted on Tuesday, November 5, 2002 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Boy howdy. Yeah ... never, ever watch the dubbed version.

The only dubbing that can sometimes enhance the experience is old Fellini films.

"I NEED A WOMAAAAAAAAN!!!!"
Nolamour
Posted on Tuesday, November 5, 2002 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Marc,

That's what I was thinking...I, unfortunately, watched the movie with a couple of people that could not stand to read subtitles or even the French version. I think I would have liked it much better. It was just that the dubbed version made it so cheezy, if you know what I mean. I usually love this type of movie.
Marc
Posted on Tuesday, November 5, 2002 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I really enjoyed BROTHERHOOD OF THE WOLF, on the big screen in French.
Nolamour
Posted on Monday, November 4, 2002 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Jeezus...

Brotherhood of the Wolf REALLY sucked! Especially the dubbed version. Maybe I should have opted for the English subtitles as I'd rather see a movie in it's true form.

The 1 minute preview on TV portrayed a much better film and I was really looking forward to it. DAMN!
Thegreenimp
Posted on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dolemite the Box set....with second audio commentary by Rudy Ray Moore.......Yow!
Nascentvirion
Posted on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Heh I just bought Heathers on DVD for 10 dollars at Target..
Bjacques
Posted on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I wish Duelling Firemen would come out. It was supposed to be a computer game originally, but may become a movie one of these days.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ummm, The Dolemite Collection?
Bueller? Bueller? Anyone? Anyone???
Pataphysician
Posted on Monday, October 7, 2002 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

DEAD MAN is one of my favorite movies. As for crutial deleted scenes, here's one: In the movie as it was released, there's a long take of the Lance Hendrickson and Michael Wincott characters riding through the mountains, then they cut away to something else for a while and when they come back Hendrickson is alone. I was thinking "Where'd the other guy go?" It made no sense. Well, they deleted the scene where Hendrickson kills Wincott. Up to that point there was a great parody of "Cheyenne Social Club" going on where Wincott just would not shut up, blabbing incessant nonsense for mile after mile. So in the cut scene, Hendrickson empties his gun into him, repeating "Shut up!" "Shut up!" "Shut up!". But Wincott keeps babbling away as he sinks to the ground. It's brilliant, one of the best scenes in the film.
Melgib
Posted on Monday, October 7, 2002 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Shayne, so says Pata (see below). As far as this Allah, I know nothing.
Shayne
Posted on Monday, October 7, 2002 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Melgib, did I hear you correctly? There is a possibliity of scenes from Dead Man? Yes, Louise there is an Allah!
Melgib
Posted on Monday, October 7, 2002 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"I wish they had a feature where you could play a DVD with scenes put back where they belong."

Pata, it's usually called the director's cut, like The Abyss, Blade Runner, Apocalypse Now, etc.

I was hoping for Richard Kelly's director's cut when I heard about deleted scenes, but you're right -- the scenes were deleted for a reason, which shows good editing sense rather than a studio edict. Still, the commentary is enlightening.

I have not seen the deleted scenes from Dead Man -- now I'm curious. Gonna have to put that one on my list.
Pataphysician
Posted on Monday, October 7, 2002 - 7:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The DONNIE DARKO DVD has some deleted scenes. I think it has the Watership Down scene. Mostly though, they made the right decision in deleting the other scenes. I think one in particular would have wrecked the movie and wasn't shot very well, either.

I can only think of two movies for which the deleted scenes were really crucial to the story and should have been kept in: DEAD MAN, and MONSTERS BALL. I wish they had a feature where you could play a DVD with scenes put back where they belong.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page