Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Carbon, an energy drink with Absenta ...

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Carbon, an energy drink with Absenta Artimesia? « Previous Next »

Traineraz
Posted on Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Here I thought absinthe was a health tonic, and therefore a "dietary supplement."
Tabreaux
Posted on Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

> Absinthe isn't illegal in the US. It seems everyone believes that.

FWIW, U.S. Customs clearly classifies the liquor "absinthe" as a prohibited item.

The CFR states A. absinthium to be allowable as a food additive only if the finished product is 'thujone-free', which means 'non-detectable' analytically speaking.
Hyperturtle
Posted on Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Absinthe isn't illegal in the US. It seems everyone believes that.

According to The Law... the FDA... had the power to classify absinthe as either a food or a drug, but did neither. In 1994, Congress passed the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act (DSH&EA). The new law created a new category, dietary supplements, which, henceforth, were to be regulated as foods, not drugs.

Under teh DSH&EA, dietary supplements were defined to include vitamins, minerals, nutriends, and herbs (or extracts), concentrates, or metabolites of any of the above.

Lets take Ephedra for example. It's not illegal, but there is a lot of discussion to make it so. despite the fact that 2 billion servings are taken per year in the USA, and there were (I do not recall the year... I think it was 1998) 16 fatalites as a result of misuse of the extract made from Ephedra... some people want to ban Ephedra as dangerous.

I think that's pretty preposterous, but my post is not about my beliefs, but about how things currently stand.
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 2:34 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tav, Artist, you are correct.

It seems that the FDA enforces its own rules quite selectively.
Artist
Posted on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 1:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Bitters, I believe, as well?

a.
Tavarua
Posted on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"since no amount of thujone is allowed in food or drinks."

Dr. O,
Doesn't Vermouth carry the gene?
Blueshuttle
Posted on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I can see it all now when the media starts covering it:

"Absinthe, banned for 80 years, now found in a high-powered energy drink. Its illegal, and it makes you go crazy, and is used by ravers, terrorists, and the homeless. How scared should you be? We will tell you tonight, on the 10 oclock news"

But theres hope! Maybe we can have california vote absinthe legal again, and have absinthe distribution clubs for the terminally ill all around san francisco!
Crowlyman
Posted on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It won't. It will just cause alarm when the media corps sinks its teeth.
Traineraz
Posted on Sunday, September 22, 2002 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hopefully, products like this will at least raise awareness . . .
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Sunday, September 22, 2002 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It must have flown under the FDA's radar, since no amount of thujone is allowed in food or drinks.

And yes, sage has thujone, I guess they must have grandfathered it.

Ps: the herb is "Artemisia absinthium".
Raschied
Posted on Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's another brand of Red Bull. I tried it. Its no different than Red Bull. Lotsa caffeine.
Tristan_Ii
Posted on Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 5:00 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nope, California, USA.
Artist
Posted on Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 3:25 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I know we are not supposed to ask about location...but if I may be so bold as to ask what country the Bel Air shopping market is in?

(A guess might be jolly olde England?)

a.
Tristan_Ii
Posted on Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 3:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

No, Bel Air shopping market.

Hmmm.... interesting. I'll have to buy one tomorrow and drink it, so I'll post a review (my first review!!!) this weekend.
Artist
Posted on Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 3:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hmmm...

Quote:

Britvic Soft Drinks has joined the competitive energy drink market with its launch to the on-trade sector of Carbon.Carbon, say Britvic, is the first energy brand specially formulated to mix with dark as well as white spirits and can also be drunk on its own.The carbonated, dark designer drink has a complex flavour profile and contains three active ingredients: caffeine (300mg), glucose and absinthe (100mg). The herb absinthe is reputed to have psycho-active elements enhancing creativity, mind stimulation and acting as an aphrodisiac."Carbon is a highly differentiated brand which will fuel additional growth in this already high performing sector," said Britvic's head of new product development, Diana Taylor."It reinforces our Right Choice category management strategy, which has identified that providing greater value and choice for consumers is a key opportunity for growth. Our aim is to give adults a range of soft drinks that will genuinely meet their needs and aspirations," she added.Britvic will also run a support programme to raise awareness and drive trial to its target audience. The campaign will include point of purchase material, promotions and a substantial emphasis on sampling. National poster activity commences on 15th November to coincide with the important Christmas peak in the on-trade.Carbon is aimed at those who regularly drink in groups in young people's venues, with a core high spending age group of 22- to 30-year-olds. It has a RSP of £2.20 for a 250ml slimline can.

Artist
Posted on Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 3:08 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Bel Air, California?
Tristan_Ii
Posted on Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I was at Bel Air today and saw an "Energy Drink" called Carbon, that is supposed to contain "Absinthe".

Anyone tried this yet?

I did a google, but all I could come up with was some spirits and beverages website that is for paid members... apparently the drink is put out by Britvic, or at least marketed by them, although the beverage is not on their site at all.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page