Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Glass order from Ian

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Glass order from Ian « Previous Next »

Absinthedrinker
Posted on Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Brett

I have been away on holiday for the past week so I wasn't aware of your customs problem until now. I am not as familiar with Canadian procedures as I am with those in the US so this has come as a surprise to me. I always label my antique items as 'over 100 years old' for international sales because this avoids tax and duty in the US, I had assumed that it would be the same for Canada. I know that some US customers have successfully reclaimed duty after I provided customs valuations, I would be more than happy to do this for you if it would help. I will contact my couriers on Monday and ask if there is anyway this can be avoided in future. The obvious way is to under declare but this causes problems in the event of any loss or damage (thankfully this has only happened once in 4 years - and that was caused by customs opening a carefully wrapped package).

There are no problems on the alcohol side as the courier costs include hand clearance at Canadian customs through an approved agent, thats why it costs more but then it is guaranteed to arrive!
Petermarc
Posted on Friday, September 27, 2002 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=718514097
Tavarua
Posted on Friday, September 27, 2002 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Isn't that a Decanter or are the terms interchangeable? Either way, you would play hell trying to squeeze ice cubes in there. Seemingly pointless for absinthe.
Tavarua
Posted on Friday, September 27, 2002 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the heads up.
Petermarc
Posted on Friday, September 27, 2002 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=717156369

these are not east glasses(they are much smaller), and they most likely are not from the absinthe period...the sugar dish most probably dates from the late 20's on...as for the carafe, well...
Tavarua
Posted on Friday, September 27, 2002 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Brett,
I am curious as to what the total, with shipping, post shipping, and the item where. What was the final figure? As far as the auction goes below, I wouldn't go any higher than 120USD. If you lived in France, you could probably pick up the same items for 80 beans or less. It sucks that we do not have any easier access to these items over here.
Brett
Posted on Friday, September 27, 2002 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tavarua, you may hve been right, but I did note that the auction has a reserve, so who knows how high its been set? I've seen auctions with starting bids of $1 and reserve of $200.

I don't blame Ian for my having to pay more for shipping; I've had different items courier before and never faced fees, but then they've always been from within Canada and they haven't been antiques. The postal system in Canada is just wierd. I get something from California via regular mail in four days, but something priority post from Ontario takes a week...

Yeah, Canada's health system may rock, but British Columbia's sure doesn't. My hospital's "business hours" are between 8:00 am and midnight. After that, you can go, just hope it ain't serious. This is of course temporary: they may just close the hospital all together. Pretty good when the nearest one is half hour away on a very good day. Hehehe, my government is saying don't be stupid and hurt yourself or give yourself a heart attack.
Tavarua
Posted on Friday, September 27, 2002 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey, don't be so hard on Canada. Your health system rocks. Wolf, I would be happy to be your middleman in exchange for, ummmm, stuff.
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, September 27, 2002 - 6:57 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I mean..to get drunk in the morning after an evening shift..

Damn it! where`s Pickle ?!

I want Pickle back !
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, September 27, 2002 - 6:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Canadian customs sucks... One more reason to....pfouhahahahaaaaaa!1 e5555u
Tavarua
Posted on Friday, September 27, 2002 - 6:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Brett,
You should have held out a little longer and tried for the Ebay Auction - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=717156369 Two East glasses and a sugar dish, and it's prolly going to go for pretty cheap. I love the simple design of these glasses and they are one of the most inexpensive that you can get. It kind of defeats the purpose to pay three times what the glass is worth just for shipping, but you can't really blame Ian for that. You got hosed, just make it a learning experience. Carriers are not always the best way to go, my Emile arrived 3 days after shipment, and it was through regular airmail.
Brett
Posted on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah, good idea. I should still be able to e-mail the seller; I don't think he's shipped yet.

Thanks!
Crosby
Posted on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

That's Canada for you! You could always ask an ebay seller to list the item as a gift or with a lower value on the customs declaration.
Brett
Posted on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Don't get me wrong, this is not a bad experience with Ian. The glass is great, and Ian was polite and helpful. Canada Customs, on the other hand seems to charge for any convceivable thing, whether it is by courier or regular mail. Had I gone regular mail, I would have saved $50 in brokerage fees, but I still would have been charged customs, duty and taxes.

Its odd, because I've never had this problem with absinthe. But order a pair of pants, it costs me thirteen dollars to pick it up from the post office. A twenty dollar ring? Yep, another eight bucks.

I would definetly order from Ian again, no question about it. However, if I order glassware or spoons I will do it via regular mail. An additional week is not worth the money. (I'm just hoping I don't get charged on the two swirl glasses I won on eBay.)
Crosby
Posted on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've never had to pay a cent over the cost Ian quoted me. Antiques and absinthe alike, I've had nothing but good experiences with Ian.
Brett
Posted on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Just received my East Glass 21 from Ian. Well okay, it actually came in yesterday, but Purolator was of course unwilling to leave it at my door. No matter, I couldn't have put it into use until tonight anyway.

Has anyone else had to pay exorbiant fees when receiving items from www.absintheorginals.com via courier? I was phoned Tuesday shortly before work only to be informed that there was a $90!!! duties, customs, tax a brokerage fee. What the hell is that all about? If I had gone with airmal, I could have cut that to $40 at the most because the damn brokerage fee was $50.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page