Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through September 23, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Arts & Other Philosophical Sundries » FILM FORUM » THE LOBBY (a place for miscellaneous film chat) » Archive through September 23, 2002 « Previous Next »

Bjacques
Posted on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 4:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The Evil Queen says she's gonna ream us with 20-inch cattle prods and I'm still waiting!

-- Squeezit, from "The Forbidden Zone" (1980)
Shayne
Posted on Sunday, September 22, 2002 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yesterday in the bazaar I noticed a potter rudely beating a lump of clay which seemed to say: " Gently, deal gently with me; for I, too, was once as you."
Raschied
Posted on Sunday, September 22, 2002 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Can we have a Quotes thread?

"You do not know pain, you do not know fear! You will taste MANFLESH!!!"
Melgib
Posted on Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 7:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

FilthyFlicks -- Correcting the sin of omission, this company adds extra sex, nudity, profanity or extreme violence to our favorite screen gems.

"Restraint," he said, "is great with the proper lighting. But prior restraint, that's unconstitutional. Besides," he said, pointing to the sky. "I answer to a higher authority."

http://www.salon.com/people/satire/2002/09/20/filthy/index.html
Crowlyman
Posted on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I used to want to be a film director. Until I found out I would have to rely on other people, that is.
Oh, and I have a grand total of zero already famous people in my family to get a foot in the door.
Admin
Posted on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Brilliant article on A Streetcar Named Desire over at salon.com

http://www.salon.com/sex/turn_on/2002/09/19/streetcar/index.html
Melgib
Posted on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nilson, don't give up hope on the novella. There's a new series of books being published by Crown which involves famous authors writing on a single subject in a tiny hardcover edition, sort of like the Penguin Lives series. The first one is Michael Cunningham's "Land's End: A Walk in Provincetown."

Now, granted, this is decidedly nonfiction, and only from famous authors ... but the point is, it's short, it's bound, and doggone it, people like them.

I totally agree about bloated novels. I think book editors are afraid to piss off their writers, especially ones who bring in the big bucks. Nelson DeMille comes to mind.
Joalco
Posted on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The old threads have been closed to allow for easier access. They will be archived eventually, AFAIK. Threads are now organized by general topics, instead of a bunch of small ones.
Pokerface11
Posted on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nilson - I agree about the novella. It's the marketing departments that push for more than is needed, IMO. As I am a terse writer, I may have some trouble in that area.

Some of the forums have been "shut down". I don't exactly know how that works here in the land of absinthe, but yesterday Marc mentioned it was happening.
Nilson
Posted on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I like novels, but would also like to see the novella more accepted in the separate, bound format. Some of the bestseller writers I've read seem to write novellas that have bloated into novels. There's a trend to verbose and needless explaining of story issues every few pages or just drowning you in flashbacks. I guess editors don't edit any more.

Why are some of the forums now lacking Add Message windows?
Pokerface11
Posted on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi, y'all. Thanks for taking an interest in what I'm doing with my days. Storytelling never goes out of fashion. If you're a fan, like I am, of the ancient epics (BEOWULF, GILGAMESH, THE ILIAD), you'll see this deep human connection to narrative and symbology. That's why the novel will always be in vogue. The only crisis in novel publishing today is that the lust for profit has limited the kinds of stories that are given their blessing by the large distribution channels.

My own book. I can tell you some of the plot, but, for me, the book is an idea. So I always have a little trouble describing it. What I've said about it is that it is a book that looks the power and potential destructiveness of dreams deferred. It's not a big-league political statement. It is more about the politics of the heart.
Shayne
Posted on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 6:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nils, good morning... our library says readership is up as of late so I think that the novel is not so much the endangered species we had figured it to become. My wife goes through an assortment of about five a week durring school(slows down a little). I must admit I do only a couple and I've a liking for short stories.
Nilson
Posted on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 6:34 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Poker: that's wonderful. And you've chosen a form that is marketable. Relatively.

What brews in me are mostly poems or odd essays or Brautiganesque sketches -- and there doesn't seem to be much of an entry-level for such. Kind of a closed shop, unless you're in an MFA program and someone refers you. Or you happen onto some needle-in-haystack small press that will publish and nobody and pay you in copies.

In the age of short attention spans, I'm surprised at how well the novel is doing.
Marc
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I just moved all the active topics to the top,
they are:

TRAILER PARK
LOBBY
DIRECTORS
CLASSICS
NOW PLAYING
MOVIE NEWS
MIDNIGHT MOVIES
DVD/VIDEO
Melgib
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Poker, oh yes, please spill! Is it fiction? I'd love to hear all about it.

I also admire you for quitting your job and for the fact you have savings! I work freelance myself, although not writing -- more of an editing job -- and I like the freedom. I've traditionally spent a lot of time volunteering at my kid's school. Since she's moving on to high school next year, I'll have a lot more free time.

I've "practiced" writing by adapting my favorite novels into screenplays. Gives me a chance to become comfortable with the form and process. I feel this is my forte, although I don't rule out the possibility of an original screenplay someday.
Befade
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Poker........any hints you can give us about the plot or main characters?

And Congratulations!!!
Pokerface11
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Melody - I quit my job in January and started a novel that's been brewing in me for two years. I just said at my job, "I'm better than this." They were working me to death. The salary was high, but if you consider that I was doing the job of three people, it really wasn't recompense enough. I've been living on my savings and some freelance work, and now it's almost done. It's the best thing I've ever done, after buying my own home.

Is there more you'd like to know?
Melgib
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Poker -- I'm so jealous, you're writing a book! Would you care to talk about it? I'm a frustrated writer myself.
Marccampbell
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

mel,

I tried to come up with another name, but LOBBY is just too good.
Melgib
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for da Lobby -- home again!
Marccampbell
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

we'll start archiving them. Some are barely blips on the radar. We'll start with those.
Pokerface11
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

So I see. What will happen to the other threads?
Marccampbell
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

yes. We're starting now.
Pokerface11
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Did I tell you I'm coming into the home stretch on my book? I think it's pretty good. I've never been so happy about doing something "foolish" in my life!

Is Kallisti going to structure the Film Forum along the lines you mentioned, Marc?
Marccampbell
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

go for it.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page