Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Herbage

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » The Monkey Hole » Herbage « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through September 30, 2002Wolfgang25 9-30-02  11:13 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Never go out for the night without a couple of bananas on you, you just never know when they might come in handy. It's a lot cheaper than plying some bird with Bacardi breezers and cocktails all night.
Baz
Posted on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

It always, goes back to the monkeys, doesn't it??
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

So that explains those hairs on my pillow last weekend.
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"...human genes are ~99% identical to those of the bonobo..."

And after 10 pints of lager who worries about a genetic difference of 1%?
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

As has been pointed out, 'closely' can still mean quite a bit of difference. We've all heard how human genes are ~99% identical to those of the bonobo, but the fact remains that we're quite different animals.
Baz
Posted on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's funny that the whole MJ grafting to hops thing came up here. Hops are the closest relative to marijuana, which was the reason for the "research" that was done to begin with. Being "closely related" doesn't mean they work together, or in the same way.

As an example, take the Thujone molecule. It is molecularly similar, or "closely related" to the thc molecule...

or so I hear.
Wolfgang
Posted on Wednesday, October 2, 2002 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dr.O. Unfortunately I don't know how they do it, all I know is they say "made with unmalted grain" on the label and it taste good ;-). There is three versions made with different kind of grain.
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Wednesday, October 2, 2002 - 7:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks MD, I was mixing the malt and the mash.

As far as how the Sumerians figure this one out, probably by accident.

In the case of mead, it's an easy accident to happen. Someone left a pot with honey outside, it rained, and then some wild yeasts fell into it, and, bingo, you've got mead!

In the case of beer the process is more involved, but...an infinite number of monkeys typing in an infinite number of typewriters...
Mogan_David
Posted on Wednesday, October 2, 2002 - 6:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dr. O

I'm not Wolfgang, but let me give it a shot.

Malted grains (grains which have been germinated and allowed to dry again) have certain enzymes which can by activated at specific temperatures. These enzymes convert the starch in the grain into sugar in a process called the mash.

When malt is roasted the the enzymes are destroyed, so any beer must contain a enough plain malted barley to provide the enzymes required for the mash.

Using unmalted grains is pretty much the same as using rice or roasted malt. It provides flavor and starch but not enzymes.

The great thing about beer is that if you start with good ingredients and pay attention to sanitation you are usually successful. It may not taste exactly like what you had in mind, but it's beer and therefore good.

The big question with beer is how the hell did the Sumarians figure all this shit out?
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Tuesday, October 1, 2002 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wolfgang, could you expand on the making of beer with un-malted grains?

I understand that malting turns starch into sugars, which in turn are consumed by yeasts, with alcohol as a byproduct.

Do they have yeasts that consume starch? Is that possible?
Mogan_David
Posted on Tuesday, October 1, 2002 - 5:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Too dangerous, you couldn't have people smoking in the silo. Boom!

Of course the name "Corn Huskers" would take on a completely different meaning. So also would corn fed beef. How about some pot roast.

I love science. :-)
Marc
Posted on Monday, September 30, 2002 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Jiffy Pot.
Bob_Chong
Posted on Monday, September 30, 2002 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

All of this makes me wonder, though, that with all the frankenfoods that exist now, how come there isn't a pothead genetic engineer who's come out with "happy" corn or the like?

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page