Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through October 03, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » To everyone in in the path of hurricane Lilly » Archive through October 03, 2002 « Previous Next »

Greenmeanie
Posted on Thursday, October 3, 2002 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Pickles & whiskey!!?? Kali, love, is there something we don't know about you??
Mogan_David
Posted on Thursday, October 3, 2002 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

I get charitable once a year, and I have just exceeded my quota! Bastard ;-)

There's the old Greenie!! Kicking ass, chewing bubble gum, and fresh out of gum.
Anyway, email me, I've need your opinion on a 30.30.

MD
Admin
Posted on Thursday, October 3, 2002 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

yeah, that is what they did when I was there. I mean damn. we were ready, stocked up on pickles & whiskey. and then ... nothing.
Greenmeanie
Posted on Thursday, October 3, 2002 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I get charitable once a year, and I have just exceeded my quota! Bastard ;-)
Greenmeanie
Posted on Thursday, October 3, 2002 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey MD!

Tragedy sucks when it strikes someone who doesn't diserve it.

Fear not, I'm NOT resigning from the NRA anytime soon!!
Mogan_David
Posted on Thursday, October 3, 2002 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Greenie,

You are going to have to change your nick if you are going to keep being nice and care about people.

How about kissykissyhugssugarbear?

Just a suggestion.

MD
Greenmeanie
Posted on Thursday, October 3, 2002 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nola,

Please drop an update post on New Iberia when you hear something.

Sorry if I'm being sappy, but this bunch here is like some kinda wacked, extended family. I may not agree with everyone all the time but everyone does have something valuable to contribute (sometimes :) ).
Greenmeanie
Posted on Thursday, October 3, 2002 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nola,

Much better to be over prepared, safe and ticked off than FLATTENED!

-Green
Nolamour
Posted on Thursday, October 3, 2002 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks greenie.

I yawn and stretch to wake (at 4pm) to still just a bunch of mild wind...

I really thought (as the media would like you to think) that the earth was going to open up and Lucifer was going creep out and pull all of Louisiana down into the pits of hell.

What a disappointment...LOL
Greenmeanie
Posted on Thursday, October 3, 2002 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

IT FIGURES!! In Florida we get the same media crap hype.

Glad you are ok!
Nolamour
Posted on Thursday, October 3, 2002 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, the media hype is just that...HYPE. New Orleans is SUNNY! - Cars driving around, people out on bicycles. Nothing going on except a bunch of people trying to figure out what to do on thier unexpected day off from work.

In typical New Orleans Style. I look down the street to find one lonely van on the corner...upon closer inspection, the poor bastard is TRIPLE TICKETED. Damn, Come rain or shine, the meter maid army is in full force!

On the other hand, I have family that live in New Iberia (where the eye hit first) and I haven't head from them. They live in an old plantation home made of heavy brick. They should be ok, but I hear the town was hit pretty hard.
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Thursday, October 3, 2002 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

What happened?
Nolamour
Posted on Thursday, October 3, 2002 - 7:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

9am: It just hit. 2 hours late. Sounds like a jet over head and lasted about 15 minutes...I guess that was a squall.

Look at that fool in the black sedan turning the corner...what the F*** is he thinking out there driving?
Nolamour
Posted on Thursday, October 3, 2002 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

3am: Barely raining...I guess the 7am landfall is where the fun will begin.

Jusqu'au jour
Nolamour
Posted on Wednesday, October 2, 2002 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Perruche!

Hell, I have my video and digital camera all juiced up for some good footage. I aint goin nowhere!

Maybe I'll post some good pics if you guys are interested. ...and if I can remember the secret ninja code for posting pictures.
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Wednesday, October 2, 2002 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Good luck Nolamour -- planning on staying home tomorrow? If it was me, I'd be up all night.
Admin
Posted on Wednesday, October 2, 2002 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

yeah, in 97 or 98 when I was there we were about 60 miles from the eye of one storm, and the weather was marvelous before the deluge. the summer temp dropped dramatically, and I stood down in the CBD staring up at the clouds blowing one direction, then another. it was quite eerie.

we were kinda disappointed not to have a hurricane, being nola newbies. we bought tons of booze, pickles, and candles and waited and waited. I am ashamed to say a bit gleefully.

the largest deluges I saw weren't connected at all with hurricanes, but just your afternoon summer storms. awesome.

all the same, be well! and be sure to wear boots in the high waters to avoid water snakes and red ants!
Nolamour
Posted on Wednesday, October 2, 2002 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

LOL - I hear ya!

That path is still to the west of New Orleans. The eye, as of now, will not hit us...just the outside ring. The real thing to worry about is that when it makes landfall tornados begin to generate.

Thanks for the good luck candles, etc.

NOLAcane!
Admin
Posted on Wednesday, October 2, 2002 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

http://www.weather.com/maps/news/atlstorm13/projectedpath_large.html?from=newscenter

nolamour, you better batten down the hatches, or you'll have to change your name to no-more.

seriously, I've got my fingers crossed, and the candles lit.

heck, I would settle for a nice sprinkle here, it hasn't rained a drop since March.
Nolamour
Posted on Wednesday, October 2, 2002 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yea, the "calm before the storm" is here. Very little sprinkle and mild wind...I think that means it's gonna be a tough one. The timing has changed - It's now 7 am for landfall and it's category 4.

11:00 pm: I have water, candles, oil lamps, flash lights, batteries, matches, food, gas, 3 new DVD's, bottles of every alcohol category, and 3 and 1/4 bottles of Absinthe...This should be fun.
Nascentvirion
Posted on Wednesday, October 2, 2002 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Shit, being from coastal North Carolina(Wilmington). I've been through about 6 hurricaines. In 96 it was the worst because we had 2 hit within a month of one another. Both times we lost power for about 2 weeks each. The business I worked for at the time was completely destroyed and not too mention half the towns power was out, no place to eat, nothing to do, hot, muggy and miserable. Needless to say, run far away...
Traineraz
Posted on Wednesday, October 2, 2002 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You need bigger pumps!

How about this lovely red sequined number, open toe, 4" heel . . .

Just don't try to have any Emile sent over the next few days, it might float out to sea.
Greenmeanie
Posted on Wednesday, October 2, 2002 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

God Bless.

-G
Nolamour
Posted on Wednesday, October 2, 2002 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Greenie, for both posts.

My houses have been through Betsy, Camille, and a few others. Not a scratch. The last one, about a week ago, was bad on the outskirts of New Orleans, but had little effect on our houses. The flood gates are closed, the levees are built up, and the drainage is new.

I understand the severity of the issue, although I will be staying put. If I get hit, I get hit, but, I have to stand ship. It's still going South West and we are South East, so sure, we will be getting some of the outside rain and wind, but not the eye. We'll be ok.

Also, I do know that if a level 5 were to hit New Orleans...I'd be running for the hills. The whole city would be underwater by about 40 feet. Our pumps are working, but can't handle that size.

Thanks again for the heads up, if I don't lose power (didn't in the last one) I'll keep you posted here.
Greenmeanie
Posted on Wednesday, October 2, 2002 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

If you are thinking of staying in the path of the coming hurricane, DON'T!! Grab your stuff and RUN! Especially in low laying areas.

I mentioned to Nolamour in another post, I witnessed Andrew and the aftermath. It was BAAAD shit! This one seems to be on the same scale. If you can, get out. Trust me with this! I speak from experience, from Gloria in NY (out of power for over 2 weeks) to Andrew in FL(I was lucky but others were not). It's better to split and nothing happens than to try toughing it out and, well..

Sorry if I'm being preachy (and I know this is OT) but this doesn't look good.

Post when you guys can and let us know how you are.

Good luck!

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page