Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Trotskyites,lesbianism,self portraits...

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Arts & Other Philosophical Sundries » FILM FORUM » Trotskyites,lesbianism,self portraits and Diego « Previous Next »

Clint
Posted on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I just got back from watching Frida and have to say it rocked. Where they drinking Green liquor? I dunno, I just spent twelve hours at school and then went to the theater so maybe my eyes are shot. Then on the way out I noticed a vintage sign replica that had an ad for Pernod Fils lookalike.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I saw the Dahmer movie and I
don't think it really portrayed
him in the way that I think of
him as an intensely serious
serial killer.

Therefore the movie sucked.

Same goes for the made for TV
movie I saw on Liberace...

Though he sucked both literally
and figuratively so I guess in
theory the movie WAS good.
Soozala
Posted on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Kallisti,

Have you seen "Frida" yet?

Has anyone seen "Frida" yet?
Admin
Posted on Tuesday, November 5, 2002 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Right then.
Soozala
Posted on Monday, November 4, 2002 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I guess all the money that Taymor had budgeted for "FRIDA" and chose not to use, came in handy after all. She's taken to paying "respectable" film critics large sums of money so they give her piece of shit movie a decent review.
Admin
Posted on Monday, November 4, 2002 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I haven't seen Frida yet, it won't hit the Bay Area for another week or so ...

But here is Stephanie's review from Salon, which I found rather thought provoking:

http://www.salon.com/ent/movies/review/2002/11/01/frida/index.html

and her opinions on Taymor's style in her previous work jives well with my own.
Marc
Posted on Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

soozala was right on about FRIDA. Critics are panning it for being safe and bourgeois.
Shayne
Posted on Tuesday, October 8, 2002 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Soozala, thats why I moved here its my fav city and it makes it a lot eaiser and a lot more fun to laugh.
Soozala
Posted on Tuesday, October 8, 2002 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Shayne,

Your live in one of my favourite cities...
Savannah. I have alot of happy memories of Savannah.

I am glad I made you laugh.....
Soozala
Posted on Tuesday, October 8, 2002 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Melgib...

Thanks!!!

You asked if Hayden Herrera's book analyzes Frida's inner life, motivations, obsessions with death? Yes, she does all of this and more.(Having red the Bio, several times, I feel like a best friend who found out lifelong secrets about her best friend. Hayden leaves out nothing at all.She lays it out with such passion, you cannot help but sense Hayden's love for Frida goes deeper than even she'll care to admit. I say this with all due respect to Hayden, she's a genius.

The 5 writers however, failed immensely. They had a Masterpiece to cultivate Frida-isms from. They did not. They asked Hayden to act as a Consultant to the film. She did, no one listened. Instead they did it their way, ala Disney and shit all over Hayden, Frida and the book. What a bunch of lightweights, from Taymor to Norton (he was the 5th writer by the way(uncredited). They may know how to make a Film School entrance film, but they know shit about capturing real life or even imitations of life.

I get sad thinking Frida lovers will flock to see this piece of shit. My prediction is that it will be out for at least a month, then go to video and grow old and musty on a shelf next to Frida by Paul LeDuc, another unrealistic piece of shit. Yawn.

Frida's inner life: lonliness, sadnesss, unloved
Obsession: DIEGO, DEATH, children, DIEGO, DEATH
Motivations: Pleasing Diego, her child....

Mel, I have been a Frida Kahlo fan for over 20 years. I am extremely passionate about her(as you can probably tell). If you are even remotely intrigued by her life, I suggest you shop the web for a copy of Hayden's book or pick it up at your local library. Frida's was a fascinating life cut short.
Shayne
Posted on Monday, October 7, 2002 - 6:08 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Soozala, Thank you for doing what obviously needed to be done. It's a good thing to see rip-offs get their come-upance! Fridas' life of pain would have been hard on a director as well as an audience but if one is not prepared to give what was really there then they should have left well enough alone. If more happenstances of this nature as well as boycotts occurred(especially at previews and premires) perhaps the industry would stop trying to feed us garbage and acknowledge that perhaps we have taste forbetter fare. Thanks again you've started my day with a real smile.
Melgib
Posted on Monday, October 7, 2002 - 5:08 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Soozala, I haven't seen the movie nor read Hayden Herrera's bio. From the little I know of Frida the person, she spent most of her life in bed, in pain, as you say. This would be exceptionally boring to watch on screen, unless she had some sort of crazy inner life/fantasy type stuff going on.

Does Herrera analyze Frida's inner life, her motivations, her obsession with death? If not, then the four credited screenwriters had little to work with there.

Despite her pain and those eyebrows, Frida DID have affairs, marry Rivera, hang with Trotsky ... and produce amazing artwork. I think as a filmmaker, I would focus on these aspects of her life.

Having said all that, I applaud your ballsiness in demanding your money back from Taymor! NYC girls scare me.
Admin
Posted on Sunday, October 6, 2002 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think Titus was a masterpiece ...

but leaving out the driving force of an artist's work, especially one she so graphically and gorgeously depicted herself, is shameful.

all the same, I must reserve my opinion til I see the damn thing.

"Hot lesbian witches! It's fucking genius!"
- Charlie Sheen, Being John Malkovich
Marc
Posted on Sunday, October 6, 2002 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I loved Julie Taymor's LION KING. I also saw her direction of THE GREEN BIRD. I really thought she would do right by Frida. If Soozala's review of FRIDA is accurate, I'm shocked and disappointed.
Marc
Posted on Sunday, October 6, 2002 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome Soozala. Keep em coming.
Soozala
Posted on Sunday, October 6, 2002 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Perruche,

I flipped on Taymor because of her condescending remarks she passed during the brief q&a. Not being a mean spirited bitch by nature, she pushed the wrong button.

The film was not true to the book it was (supposedly)adapted from.(Being realistic, I know they usually never are.) Instead Taymor's Frida shows Frida as a painless, bed hopping whore(men and woman). Instead of focusing on Frida's lesbian affairs, why not focus on the pain and anguish she suffered in her brief but brilliant life, why not let us in on why Frida painted so many self portraits, alot of which show her in some form or another hurting herself. Where was her Fucking limp(polio stricken as a child, one leg was a toothpick and she could not stand for long periods of time. What about the PAIN from the near fatal bus accident she had at 16. WHY again was la muerte always on her mind??? Frida was a woman who spent most of her adult life in plaster casts or having some type of "miracle" surgery for all her pain. Yet Taymor has her climbing Fucking Mexican Ruins w/ Trotsky,running drunk thru the streets, going to jail without reason, being held by King Kong etc and forgiving her philandering husband. Enough already....

Bottomline, for all the years it took to get this picture made and all the Diva's that wanted the role, they could have come up with something alot better than the piece of shit that I wasted almost two hours sitting thru waiting for one inkling of truth to appear.

At the Q & a afterward the questions were pretty fierce in tone, one man asked how she could have left out important aspects of Frida's life, Taymor's reply was "We didn't have a big budget". Nice huh???? My friend who accompanied me reminded me how the author Hayden Herrera feigned deafness when someone asked if she was pleased with Taymors adaptation of her book. That was too funny. Is not having a big enough budget reason enough not to tell an eccentric womans story her way and not your own?

Now I know why Harvey Weinstein would have shouting matches with her after every screening he ordered. I am sure I would have enjoyed seeing Frida more thru his direction and not Taymor's.

I heard thru the grapevine that Salma Hayek is happy it is over, but not thrilled with the final results. Everytime Frida plays Salma is there, what's up with that? I may catch it again at a matinee when my friend will let me in free, just to see if Salma shows up...ha ha ha
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Sunday, October 6, 2002 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

So how did Taymor fuck up? Lay it out for us. I'm a Frida fan too and I'm just wondering if the gross inaccuracies you mention are ones that approach what a lawyer might call 'actionable'. I know nothing about this film.

Just by way of comparison, another movie about a painter that takes liberties: Basquiat was a movie I enjoyed, even though it is really a movie about a fictitious character who is more or less based on the artist Jean-Michel Basquiat.
Marc
Posted on Sunday, October 6, 2002 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

kallisti,

can we move Soozala's Frida post to the Lobby thread in the Film Forum?

Thanks babe.
Pataphysician
Posted on Sunday, October 6, 2002 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Bwahahahaha!! Yeah, you go girl! Ya know, in 1929 someone opened a restaurant in Paris called Maldoror, capitalizing on and desicrating the great hero of the Surrealists. So the Surrealists smashed the fucking place up. We should have more of that kind of action today.
Soozala
Posted on Sunday, October 6, 2002 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Having recently seen the movie Frida as part of New York is Book Country, I would like to express my opinion on it.. The venue was at Clearview Cinemas, Chelsea West in NYC. For 15.00 you saw Frida, got a brief q&a with Julie Taymor,Hayden Herrera(Frida's Biographer) and Eliott Goldenthal?(films Musical Director), and got to buy Frida books and have them signed.

First off what I liked about Frida,(the movie), were the beautiful Costumes & Jewelry, as well as the Music & Cinematography. Other than that I hated the movie and told Julie Taymor this to her face.

After the brief q & a, you were allowed to have the book(s)you purchased that evening signed. So I waited in the book signing line for my turn(I did not purchase any books since I already owned them ),when it was my turn, Taymor asked me where my book to be signed was, I told her I already own a copy of the bio and I enjoyed reading it very much. I HATED her film and she should have taken the time and red the Fucking book. I want my $15.00 back ! (She looked at me in amazement, like who the fuck did I think I was). She then replied "sorry you feel that way". I shot back, me too, your lucky I don't hit you up for my train and cab fare too. She just sat there. I refused to leave. So there I stood, staring her down. Again, I asked her, where is my $15.00???? She motioned to a New York Book staffer who came over and told me to move along. Not until I get my money back I protested! The Manager came over to see what was going on, took my complaint and promised me a check. My friend who accompanied me, told Julie she should get those Fucking Lion King awards out of her ass and go back to Film School.

Frida was a fucking disappointment ala Titus. It is not worthy of your time or money, especially if you are a true Frida fan or have red Haydens book, this movie will piss you off beyond belief simply because of all the gross inaccuracies.

to be continued....

$15.00 richer in connecticut, my check arrived on friday.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page