Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Is Lehmann Onirique... "Oldway"?...

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Is Lehmann Onirique... "Oldway"? « Previous Next »

Brett
Posted on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 6:31 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Naturally colored or not, I found Old Way to be better than most absinthes/pastis I've had. The flavour was unique and it took a week or so to grow on me. Personally, I think it could have used a bit more anis, but that's just me. I found it be very tasty, quite herbal and very refreshing.
Giovannigray
Posted on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Scroll down this thread, Nolan, and you'll see that Scobydoo provided a brief, yet descriptive review of Lehmann.
Zman7
Posted on Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

PV, I think you are right on the money when you say there is a difference between "naturally colored" and "traditionally colored." The source of the coloring may be natural, but no way can it be done (as with Old Way)in the traditional sense. I have seen several traditionally colored absinthes that closely approach the neon-green of Old Way, but that brilliance of color is difficult.
Nolan
Posted on Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have never tried Lehmanns. But I thought old way was pretty damn good. I have also had bleue
that tasted similar to old way and was even greenish yellow in color, but that old way was hard to beat for green color!!! Who gives a damn
if it was re-animator green anyway, I know I don't.
I thought it was lovely. So, has anyone tried Lehmann???
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry -- using that yellow for 'dead leaf' was ill-advised on my part... there is nothing in our limited palette that really does the trick.
Thegreenimp
Posted on Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I agree, I was quite surprised that Oldway was similiar to some La Bleue's. With a little tweaking it would be even better.
I have enjoyed the bottle that I have.
Jay
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Maybe it's useful to distinguish once again between 'naturally colored' and 'traditionally finished' absinthe -- Old Way's color may well have natural origins but it doesn't seem to meet the characteristics of the latter process -- does it?

I mean, there was no sign of 'dead leaf' color in that stuff after a few days in the sun when I tried that. And Zman7's sample surely ought to have faded by now.
Petermarc
Posted on Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

it is naturally colored, though hard to believe...the sample i had was like green'la bleue' and i thought it curiously good and unlike all other spanish i have tasted....
Greenmeanie
Posted on Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Perruche, that explains alot.

Segarra and La Fee are the last two on my list that I really wanna try. Untill Jade makes it's mythical appearance.

Please don't mention the "W" word. My wallet is still cowering in the corner! :)

-Green
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It was offered very briefly by SC as a one-off deal in unlabelled bottles. They said the measured thujone level was too high to allow it to be sold in Europe. Very bright green, fairly complex flavor.

I didn't like it as much as Segarra at the time. The color was such a bright green that a lot of us were convinced it was artificial. The flavor had rough edges to it, and it didn't match up to a bottle of Wolvie's Verte that I had.

That said, I'd like to see it back. It did have promise even if it tasted a little too much like La Fee (which is not to say bad).
Zman7
Posted on Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Old Way will return...."
But why? I have over a half liter left and it is not that good at all. It isn't any better than LaSala. I don't know what they mean by "naturally colored," but I have a sample that has been left in the sun for a few months and it is still Lovecraftian green.
Greenmeanie
Posted on Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've heard of Old Way mentioned here before. What's the deal? Can it still be had or is it coming back? My curiosity is up.
Petermarc
Posted on Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

old way will return...
Scoobydoo
Posted on Saturday, October 12, 2002 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Lehmann is definitely not OLD WAY. I am drinking it right now and it tastes like ASS! It smells like rubbing alcohol...It does NOT louche...OLD WAY was a very good drink...I bought the Lehmann hoping that it was Old Way b/c I like Old Way a lot!
I do not know if the Lehmann drink has any secondary effects b/c I cannot stomach drinking it. At least La Salla is drinkable....

Don't buy until they fix this drink..
Wolfgang
Posted on Monday, October 7, 2002 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

This absinthe which comes from an old family recipe shows that some absinthes were made in the past without anis, but with licorice and wormwood only. It therefore does not louche, but still has a very pleasant flavour and a high content of thujone . We recommend it for those who do not like the anis flavour.

This sounds like czech... and sorry but people who don't like anis usually won't like licorice.
Crosby
Posted on Monday, October 7, 2002 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

No, it isn't "Old Way".
Buck_Turgidson
Posted on Monday, October 7, 2002 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Maybe this has already been discussed, but I can't find any discussion of it. The Spanish absinthe Lehmann Onirique on SC looks suspiciously like "oldway". There's no mistaking that color of "GREEN."

Has anyone tried it, yet? If so, is there any comparison to oldway?

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page