Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Un Emile, or Some Drippings From The ...

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Un Emile, or Some Drippings From The Brain Pan « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through October 16, 2002Petermarc25 10-16-02  2:17 pm
Archive through October 19, 20022loucheltrec25 10-19-02  8:44 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Wolfgang
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Zman, hummm...I guess we will have to continue this by email...
Orgulasmaggot
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

My experience then is just anecdoctal.

Exploding gasoline (Army days using an immersion water heater someone hadn't set up properly--good thing I was wearing glasses) cost me two eyebrows.

As an organic chemist and microbiologist almost as long ago, some buffoon spilled 95%etoh across my lab table and across a bunsen burner. Pretty pale flame, no explosion. Just a fire extinguisher and some quick butt kicking.

Regardless, your point is well taken.

Don't do this at home, kiddies!
Mogan_David
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

Um, Mogan_David, ethanol is no where near as explosively combustable as gasoline, right? Flammable though. Almost an invisible flame

Orgulasmaggot,

While I do admit to a little hyperbole in my comparison, I'm not exaggerating very much. Check out this web site:
http://www2.ncsu.edu/ehs/www99/right/handsMan/lab/flam.html
You'll see that gasoline and alcohol are both classified as "Class 1B" flammable liquids.
Now if you feel comfortable concentrating alcohol vapor in an enriched oxygen environment, then knock yourself out. Just don't forget to invite me to the weenie roast afterward.

Seriously, I work in hospitals every day, and I've been to the Shriner's Burn Center in Galveston. The things I've seen are not something I'd wish on anyone.

Please be careful.
Chevalier
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Which is why it must be nice to have a very aged bottle of Pernod Tarragona on its way to you, Zman ;-)
Zman7
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wolf,
I disagree. All the old protocols describe absinthe as "aging" to get a smooth, drinkable product. Yes, absinthe also does settle out, but the two are not the same. Freshly distilled absinthe will settle out in in a few days. The smoother flavors of absinthe take a few months in order to be brought forth.
Greenmeanie
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I hope all the people who are invoved in the absinthe business that lurk here are LISTENING!!!
Tavarua
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I, for one, am happy that the manufacturers did not let Un Emile settle for a year before the release;-). At least with the newer ones, I couldn't bear it if I heard about such a superior product was sitting somewhere in barrels. Maybe this is why Segarra appears to a better product that other Spanish. La Fee would likely benefit from this practice as well.
Wolfgang
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Aging wine and aging absinthe is not the same thing.

Absinthe ''settle''
Wine ''age''

If the manufacturer had the patience (and money) to let it settle for six months to a year, I don`t think we would have to talk about it here.

I would like to know how much time they let Un Emile settle before bottling...
Greenmeanie
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Zman,

Forgive me but I don't know still shock from shell shock. I'm learning alot since I started here about 6 months ago. Thanks to all for that.

The fishyness in mine was waaaayyy faint to begin with and gone now. I am just very pleased at how mu Un Emile has aged out. I thought only wine did this.
Zman7
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The funky taste that I encountered was not so much still shock, as it was a distillation either pushed to excess, or at too high a temperature. Time has tempered the funky fish smell. It is still there, but much diminished. I think Emile 68 is a fine product.
Greenmeanie
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Zman,

It's getting pretty darn tasty, eh? Glad I'm not the only one to notice. I guess the initial hubub about funky tastes and smells turns out to be moot. Maybe if they would let it sit for a month or so before packing it off....

Wolfgang mentioned the phrase "still shock". Is that like "my wallet is still in shock from the price?" If only it were a little less costly, I'd love to keep a few on hand.
Zman7
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The old liquor making protocols (Duplais, de Brevans, Montzert) specify that most all freshly distilled liqour (and specifically absinthe)require a substanstial aging period to attain their best drinkability. In the case of Emile 68, my own observation is that the taste I, at first, found objectionable, is diminishing considerably. It is now quite drinkable.
Greenmeanie
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Bubbling 18 year old scotch? Hell no! Bubbling week old Un Emile? What could it hurt?

However, speaking from personal experience (see the very first post). 1/2 bottle of fresh Un Emile + 3 months sitting = YUM!

Now if that works for other absinthe brands, I'd love to know.
Orgulasmaggot
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Um, Mogan_David, ethanol is no where near as explosively combustable as gasoline, right? Flammable though. Almost an invisible flame.

BTw, I saw weird thingy at my local 'brew your own wine' place which claimed to age wine in an hour to match 5 years of bottle time.

Sounds like glass pyramids sharpening razor blades to me. Didn't buy it, but am willing to listen to threads talking about how this sort of thing might work.

But, yes, Wolfgang, I am not going to be bubbling my eighteen year old scotches just to test this.
Wolfgang
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

After rethinking everything, I have to agree with Mogan.

Would I buy a premium alcohol and bubble it like this ? No. Scotch whisky are amazing when they reach over 15 years and if it was possible to bubble it to the same result in just one year, no doubt they would do it.

I`ll keep on using the half empty bottle aging method.
Mogan_David
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

Get a brewer's supply catalog. You don't have to build anything; just buy one from them. It's used to oxygenate wort after the yeast is pitched (more oxygen = stronger yeast growth). Stone on one end, oxygen tank on the other. Food-safe plastic tubing connects them. With that said, I'd be surprised if it made any difference whatsover in the application you're discussing.

Hmm.. Oxygen + High proof alcohol + spark = BigFuckingBang

Scares the shit out of me, please be careful.

We Americans are prone to overkill, I think the best thing to do is either let the absinthe sit a month or do as Wolfgang suggested and use the half bottle method to speed things up. I am afraid that more enthusiastic methods will wind up diminishing some of the more delicate notes of the absinthe and cause it to loose some of it's character.

Whatever you do, consider safety first, real absinthe is combustible like gasoline, treat it that way.

MD
Greenmeanie
Posted on Sunday, October 20, 2002 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wolf,

Keep us posted, please. Right now I'm doing the lazy man's method. Every day or so I open the bottle, close it, give it a good shake and put it back on the shelf!
Wolfgang
Posted on Sunday, October 20, 2002 - 1:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

A waste of time ? Maybe. If I'm not too lazy I'll do the experiment and compare a normal non-aerated bottle with an aerated one.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page