Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through October 07, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Arts & Other Philosophical Sundries » FILM FORUM » THE LOBBY (a place for miscellaneous film chat) » Archive through October 07, 2002 « Previous Next »

Shayne
Posted on Monday, October 7, 2002 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nils my adventures in the world of 'no collar' are probably over, I've had jobs in my time which range from that to cosultant to a former pres..its all been fun in it's way.

The answer is Dr. Dolittle. remember I pointed out that she told us...she was the voice of the first dog in his life. The other one is of course Reservoir Dogs the radio show goes on throughout the flick.
Nilson
Posted on Monday, October 7, 2002 - 7:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Poker, Marc, et al -- has anyone contacted Kate, to find out if the NYT lockout is a long term deal? I would email her, but I don't want to duplicate a hundred other queries.
Nilson
Posted on Monday, October 7, 2002 - 7:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Shayne, I'm don't think I've seen DeGeneres in anything except the Coneheads. Seems like that might be the one.

No slam intended on your various job adventures, but I do hope your telemarketing days are over. My worst job ever was actually at a desk in a library. The director was a lesbian and seemed to be the sort who wanted to make any male in range personally responsible for all that was bad in the world. My hiring was some sort of glitch, apparently. I couldn't make a joke, look at anyone, or ever deviate from a certain specified tone of voice. I quit before the urge to cut her brake lines overpowered my reason.
Pokerface11
Posted on Sunday, October 6, 2002 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Bjacques - "Old Man of the Mountain" is available on VHS on "Betty Boop: The Definitive Collection, Vol. 2: Pre-Code". I note that you're in Amsterdam, so I don't know where you might get a PAL-compatible tape, but it's out there. Good luck finding it.
Shayne
Posted on Sunday, October 6, 2002 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Okay Nils, I realize the first ne was strange so here is an easy one: In what movie does Ellen DeGeneres tell us that the best way to get to know someone is to sniff their butt? By the way the first question has an off-handed connection to this one, but what the hey don't want to confuse you.
Bjacques
Posted on Sunday, October 6, 2002 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've wanted to get hold of "The Old Man of the Mountain," ever since I saw a few seconds of it on a tape.

--------------SPOILER-----------------------

I second Marc on "The Serpent And the Rainbow." The movie was as silly as the book was fascinating. The "evil" houngan was basically fulfilling a social role, mostly dealing communal justice. It's usually the village asshole who gets zombified, at the request of his or her neighbors. Davis donated blood for his dying sister. I don't remember the book saying so, but I gather Davis had to abandon his ideas of using the zombie drug as a medical anesthetic because it only really worked as part of the whole zombie ritual, and that depended on total belief on the part of the victim.
Shayne
Posted on Sunday, October 6, 2002 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nils, with the exception of AS I've worked at every job you mentioned. Now I realize you weren't trying to demean my efforts so I'll just place myself in the former catagory, although; I'm begining to believe conversations like this point towards the latter.
Nilson
Posted on Sunday, October 6, 2002 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

How many bright people do you know that would even consider work in airport security?

this is a rhetorical question that can also be applied to such fields as telemarketing, door-to-door sales, waste disposal, fastfood counter, etc.

It is not kind to assume this, but it does seem that such jobs are held by either the desperate or the dim. Various philosophers, from Plato on to Marx have suggested that such jobs are so deadening that no one be allowed to work at them for more than a couple years at most. Rather, they would be done by young people, rather like military service, who would then go on to more deeply appreciate their ultimate avocation.
Shayne
Posted on Sunday, October 6, 2002 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"I was at the airport, checking in at the gate
when an airport employee asked, "Has anyone put anything in your
baggage without your knowledge? To which I replied, "If it was
without my knowledge, how would I know?" He smiled knowingly and
nodded, "That's why we ask."
Does that mean anything in there is mine to my knowledge or does it mean we have a problem at the airports?
Shayne
Posted on Sunday, October 6, 2002 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Maybe so but BaBa Rum Rasin is still around, hear the rabbit howl.
Melgib
Posted on Sunday, October 6, 2002 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"...In the centre of the cyclone one is off the wheel of Karma, of life, rising to join the Creators of the Universe, the Creators of us. Here we find that we have created Them who are Us." -- John C. Lilly

No more acid, no more tanks, no more human computer. John Lilly is off the karma wheel. RIP.
Nilson
Posted on Sunday, October 6, 2002 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Shayne - have no clue.

though Lilly took some flack from the scientific community, I liked his openness and his willingness to experiment with his own "human biocomputer." For a guy who flits around inner space so much, he is very down to earth.
Shayne
Posted on Sunday, October 6, 2002 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Okay, heres one for ya, nils. In what Thriller can you hear songs broadcast on "K Billys super sounds of the 70s' weekend"?
Marc
Posted on Sunday, October 6, 2002 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The book THE SERPENT AND THE RAINBOW is much better than Wes Craven's silly movie. Craven really is pretty inept when it comes to directing "serious" films. He's best with low-budget splatter flicks.

ALTERED STATES uses a lot of subliminal imagery
to re-create the feeling of an acid trip. It works. When I saw the movie in the theater, it really had a very unsettling effect, like a I'd taken a small dose of the brown acid.

nilson,
I've read most of John Lily's books. I plan to re-read THE
CENTER OF THE CYCLONE.
Melgib
Posted on Sunday, October 6, 2002 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Shayne. I was just bitching about my bamboo because I had no one else to bitch to about it at the time.

I went to market days in a little town down the road yesterday, and one of the vendors was selling curling bamboo, but I'd blown all my cash on the coolest damn purse in the western U.S.

There is lucky bamboo which grows very straight, and there is lucky bamboo which curls of its own free will. It's the lucky bamboo curling variety I seek. Which Poker told me about weeks ago, btw.

Nilson, I haven't seen Altered States in a long time, but I remember liking it a lot. Well, the ending is kinda weird, but haven't read the book. Did not know he was based on the dude who wrote Serpent and the Rainbow. Maybe the book is better?...
Shayne
Posted on Sunday, October 6, 2002 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Chayefsky(Sidney Aaron) wasn't the only one to leave for whatever reasons: William Penn the inital director and John Dykstra(special effects) had falling outs with this one.
Nilson
Posted on Sunday, October 6, 2002 - 6:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The first part of Chayefsky's "Altered States" has William Hurt's character loosely based on Wade Davis, the anthropologist/botanist who wrote "The Serpent and The Rainbow." (Later, Hurt morphs more into John Lilly, the dolphin researcher who also pioneered use of the sensory dep tanks w/drugs, and the movie "tanks," so to speak--Chayefsky disowned the movie, asked to have his name removed...)

It's interesting how two such different movies have been generated from the same gonzo scientist.
Shayne
Posted on Saturday, October 5, 2002 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I understand from the person I buy it from you train it to curl. I was talking about Zero Effect with Pulman. I always thought Edward Everett Horton was great in anything. I could walk in on a movie and hear his voice and know I was in for laughs,director permitting of course.
Melgib
Posted on Saturday, October 5, 2002 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Which one of you Pullman freaks was talking about The Serpent and the Rainbow? I tried to watch it on AMC last night, but fell asleep right after SPOILAGE the snake shoots out of the skeleton head NON-SPOILAGE. Then I woke up an hour later with a splitting headache.

And my bamboo still won't curl.
Pokerface11
Posted on Saturday, October 5, 2002 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Saw LOST HORIZON tonight. It's not so good, though Frank Capra managed not to completely kill the more universal message in gee-whiz American optimism. I still get a kick out of the fact that Father Perot, the "High Lama," is played by the very Jewish Sam Jaffe. His mouthing of New Testament "the meek shall inherit the earth" is covered with Kosher schmaltz. Ronald Colman looks better than he acts. Thomas Mitchell and Edward Everett Horton stole the show completely.

Best surprise of the evening: the show opened with a Betty Boop cartoon, "The Old Man of the Mountain". The music was done by Cab Calloway and his orchestra; in fact, the cartoon opened with Cab and a few of his musicians doing "Minnie the Moocher" on camera. The whole enterprise was superb!!! Boop boop bee doo.
Shayne
Posted on Saturday, October 5, 2002 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nils I seriously doubt the sweaty-lipped geeks. We will probably be down 'till next week sometime.
Hey I finally watch a strange one I picked up coupla years age off TCM, Stalker by Tarkovsky it was a Wizard of Oz meets Chernobile, very low budget(most of the action was in sewers and abandoned buildings but what the hey sometimes you have to crack a few reactors.
Nilson
Posted on Saturday, October 5, 2002 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Shayne, those are delicious cookies, though my PC is starting to look a bit chunky around the hips. Whatever happened must be major. I did a wee bit of hacking around and it looks like they've switched most of their regular news pages to a different server. The thing is, I don't know if they worked on the problem till 5 pm, Friday, and then went off and left it with an OUT OF ORDER sign dangling, or if crack teams of computer whizzes are working furiously on it all through the weekend, with beads of sweat on their upper lips as they swill coffee and type like mad.
Nilson
Posted on Saturday, October 5, 2002 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I went slumming at the neighborhood vid store (which is about all one can do there if you have only DVD) and selected one high-grade trash (John Carpenter, Ghosts of Mars) and one Unredeemable trash (Children of the Corn).

People who hated Signs should re-view COTC, to get some perspective on cereal movies. COTC is basically a half-hour Outer Limits feature padded out to 90 minutes by means of tedious and extended scenes of driving, running, meandering, and staggering through corn. Both lead roles are inhabited by inexperienced and callow actors, Peter Horton and Linda Hamilton. They look cute, but barely register. The script feels like the studio rushed the whole process, from King's story to final product, as part of that 80's juggernaut of shoddy King adaptations. I will admit that Peter Horton is very good runner--he might have been on a high school track team, judging by his easy landscape-eating lope.

As for Linda H, I'm impressed that she got beyond this and did some decent work in Terminator. That's the beauty of making mistakes when you're very young, I guess.
Shayne
Posted on Saturday, October 5, 2002 - 7:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Good morning all, I see we are all still locked out of the house so I brought milk and cookies. Nils, just the thought of you unscrewing my head still isn't nearly as funny as the both of us reviewing days of posts trying to figure what it was we had done to get kicked out of the club. You of all people, why thats as rediculous as Poker getting the boot, what cheek! Anyway, now that we're all here what have you seen recently dude?
Pokerface11
Posted on Saturday, October 5, 2002 - 3:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

As far as the film festival goes, I've got tickets to see the following:

BLOODY SUNDAY (Gr. Britain/Ireland) - Documentary from Paul Greengrass about the January 30, 1972, ambush of civil rights demonstrators in Derry, Northern Ireland.

CHIHWASEON (S. Korea) - Im Kwon Taek's interpretation of the life of Korea's greatest artist, who worked during the same period as Van Gogh.

HUKKLE (Hungary) - Gyorgy Palfi's freeform romp, described as part nature documentary, part murder mystery, part special effects extravaganza. With a description like that, how could I resist?

WINTER (Italy) - I'm interested in contemporary Italian film, and this tragedy by Nina di Majo sounded like a winner.

LOST IN LA MANCHA (Spain/US/UK) - Documents the "un-making" of The Man Who Killed Don Quixote, an aborted film that appeared cursed from the start. Reported to be hilarious.

DOG DAYS (Austria) - Controversial documentary by Ulrich Seidl about disaffected suburbanites near Vienna. It was highly recommended by an NYT forumite, and Austrian film critic, so I had to see it.

And I'll be seeing a special presentation of SPEEDY, a Harold Lloyd silent comedy. I just saw his SAFETY LAST! this summer at the Silent Summer Film Festival and laughed my ass off.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page