Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

An absinthe fountain made by Chevalier

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » An absinthe fountain made by Chevalier « Previous Next »

Chevalier
Posted on Friday, October 11, 2002 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

It means a lot to hear from forumites -- you like this kind of stuff! In contrast, most of the people I know outside of the forum can't make heads or tails out of this weird thing called "absinthe".

Surprisingly, Starbucks isn't in Chile yet. (But in Buenos Aires, McDonald's has McCafés, where you can have McEspressos. Sigh.)

Chile has Blockbuster, all the fast food chains, restaurants like TGIFridays, giant malls that look identical to U.S. ones, Tommy Hilfiger and Ralph Lauren, millions of cellphones, etc. etc. The rich neighborhoods look identical to upper middle-class American suburbia. The rich drive silver Mercedes'; they wear Polo, Dockers and Timberland.
Rosietwobears
Posted on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

wow!
It must be nice to be so damned handy...
I'm always impressed with peoples ability to make things.
Absinthespoon
Posted on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Very nice, Chev! I am impressed! Although somehow disturbed by the globalization of Home Depot. I suppose you have Starbucks on every corner too.

Not being the MacGuyver type myself, I think I'll wait for the beautiful fountain like in Ian's photo ("coming next year").
2loucheltrec
Posted on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

very nice, very nice ! you just may be an inspiration for others of us... some of us may have to try to visit and properly open your friends cafe !
Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Congratulation! nice job !
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Beautiful job, Chev.

Maybe you should change your Forum name to "MacGyver"...
Chevalier
Posted on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

And as you can see in the pictures, we're enjoying a very green spring right now ... south of the equator.
Chevalier
Posted on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ha! I chose the modern Oxygenée, Zman ... but only because its color comes out well in photos!
Zman7
Posted on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

And what brand of absinthe is gracing your new fountain?
Chevalier
Posted on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for your advice, Tav. And muchas gracias Perruche, Peter and Trainer.

The problem with the glass, I was told, is that it's molded and thick. I tried to carefully drill through a jar (a cheap one!) with a drill bit for glass; the glass cracked just as the drill was about to go through. Then I took another jar to a glassworks place: they told me they didn't have the equipment to make a silver dollar-sized hole. Calls made to other glassworks were equally futile.

Working on and off, it took me about two hours to make the fountain. However, that doesn't include the many hours it took to find the right jar, pvc parts, lamp base, etc. Not to mention waiting for the U.S. spigots to arrive and the epoxy to dry. But now that I've gotten the hang of it, I'll be able to make the next fountain pretty quickly. I won't sell any, though. Just don't feel like going through the trouble of posting, notifying, packing, shipping (from South America, no less), and whatever else.
Traineraz
Posted on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Much nicer than the ones we saw recently made from thrift-store vases . . . Now it's time to put it on eBay for $200!
Tavarua
Posted on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

A Dremel tool with a glass cutting bit might do the trick on poking through the glass. It would take a little while, but it would get the job done. They are fairly inexpensive, the tool itself can be picked up for 40-50 USD.
Chevalier
Posted on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you very much for the feedback!

All parts (except for the unfinished wooden lamp base, which I got from an arts and crafts store, and the spigots, which I ordered from www.aftosa.com) came from The Home Depot, which we actually have in Chile, and the jar came from a 99-cent store.

The top of the lamp base is a pvc plastic duct cap. It looks a lot like a jar lid. I drilled holes through the sides of it and attached the spigots that way. Then I attached the duct cap to the lamp base. I couldn't find a way to cut a large drainage hole through the bottom of a thick (molded) glass jar, so I ended up using a clear plastic jar for the reservoir. I simply cut the hole myself -- plastic's easy. I used largish o-rings to seal around the holes and join the reservoir to the duct cap below it.

The top of the reservoir is a metal lid that came with the glass jar I couldn't use. I attached a round drawer-pull to the top of the lid, which makes it easy to grab hold of.

The fountain is very lightweight, until you add water to it. The water's weight helps to give the fountain a good center of gravity.
Petermarc
Posted on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

compare it to this:
the pontarlier brico-fountain:
brico
Petermarc
Posted on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

nice job!
Tavarua
Posted on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Chevy,
NICE! What did you use for the reservoir?
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

That is quite beautiful. Did you need to have any parts fabricated, or was everything available off the shelf?

I would imagine the place where the spigots go into the lamp base was the tricky part.
Chevalier
Posted on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

A great big thank-you to Kallisti for shrinking these photos down for me!

my picturemy picture

I just finished making this four-spigot fountain. The materials are metallic paint, wood, white metal, pvc plastic, brass and lots of epoxy. Total cost of materials: about $35. It was quite difficult to make the thing completely watertight, but all's well now. I plan to make one more. Both are destined for the Gran Café Berrí, Santiago's first Belle Epoque-style "absinthe bar", which should be opening in December or January.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page