Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Prices on absinthe dishes

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Prices on absinthe dishes « Previous Next »

Absinthedrinker
Posted on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

They were first used for absinthe because people were thieving it from the bottle or claiming to have had less measures than they really had. They would of course have been used for other more expensive expensive eaux de vie as well, but absinthe was the most common 'session' aperitif. Having the original 'peanut' shaped top adds to the value of the ring style topettes because the tops were easily lost and they were not interchangeable. The ones with doses measured by numbers generally didn't have tops (but some did, check to see if the inside of the neck is ground).
Sambeau
Posted on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 7:24 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

While on the subject of antiques, anyone know anything about topettes? I would like to have one for my collection. I'm finding prices range from $20 to over $100. Are some topettes more collectable than others? Were they used exclusively for Absinthe, or used for any spirit offerd in the bistrot? Are there other vessels out there (i.e. oil bottles, vinegar bottles) that could be confused of mis-represented for topettes?
Timk
Posted on Friday, October 11, 2002 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

write the price on in permenant marker over the glaze, erase it with some methylated spirits, and you can change it as you want
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, October 11, 2002 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

But what will we do when the peso price eventually goes up? Inflation, man: inflation!
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Friday, October 11, 2002 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Or post-post-Prohibition. Ceramics can be hard to date. I'll bet there's a thriving cottage industry making new "old" saucers.

Hey Chevalier, wouldn't that be a nice accessory for the absinthe bar? You could have saucers with the price in pesos glazed onto them.
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Friday, October 11, 2002 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks, Pedro.

It looks like the vast majority of dishes out there are actually post-Prohibition...
Petermarc
Posted on Friday, October 11, 2002 - 3:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

10-40 centimes
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have a question here for our resident absinthe historians.

I have a dish that is marked "20" (centimes, I guess.) Another is marked 5 F. The rest, in between.

What would be the range of reasonable prices for a glass of absinthe circa 1900?

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page