Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Rally Monkeys

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » The Monkey Hole » Rally Monkeys « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through October 23, 2002Head_Prosthesis25 10-23-02  11:51 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Bob_Chong
Posted on Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I wonder if people will go to Angels games next year. They played to less than 2/3 capacity this year. Arizona saw a 500,000 bump in attendance this year, so maybe the Angels can have the same World Series effect.

I thought K-Rod should have won the WS MVP. I read something that said Glaus "beat out Bonds for MVP." That didn't make much sense, really. Bonds had a great Series--the best single performance of either team--but the MVP should go to the winning team (which it did).
Le_Vieux_Hibou
Posted on Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Saturday night with the Giants up three games to two and leading 5-0 on their own field in the 7th inning of game six, Willie Mays was reported to be wandering their clubhouse with a bottle of champagne. After the monkey did his mojo, Mays was trying to figure out how to get the cork back into the bottle. If the wino who follows Bonds in the Giants batting order didn't guzzle that thing during warmups tonight, Willie might well be consoling himself with it now. While the World Champion Angels do the monkey dance.
Lanman
Posted on Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Witness the power of the monkey! On to game seven.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I heard Nicole Bass was going to
try her hand at bat next season?
Bob_Chong
Posted on Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Didn't baseball players used to be a lot skinnier"

Yeah, pretty much every athlete in every sport has gotten beefier. Imagine Serena Williams vs. Chris Everett. LOL.

Also, remember how everyone thought how huge William "Fridge" Perry was at 340 pounds in 1985? That size today in the NFL would make him average.

Of course, some finesse sports still require smaller sizes. Like women's gymnastics, where supression of menstruation and delaying of puberty is paramount.

As for baseball, that dead evolutionist guy, Steven Jay Gould, wrote scientific analysis of batting averages and found that the overall league average has remained the same over time (around something like .260). The bell curve for hitting has become compressed, with more good hitters and fewer great and awful hitters (i.e., greater parity has been achieved). I'd guess that weight training may have something to do with this. I doubt Babe Ruth ever lifted weights. No need to, really.

Whether or not steroids are to blame, weight training has become ubiquitous in sports. And this starts at an early age...so it's no wonder that most pro ballplayers are pretty large (i.e., they've been lifting for decades).

Some claim that steroids cause greater injuries, since muscle mass accumulates in disproportion to bone structure. Mark McGuire might be the poster boy for that argument. He could barely hobble to bat near the end. Sosa may be on the juice, too, except that he is never hurt. I can't tell if he has the steroid-induced neanderthal skull deformation, either.

Once good baseball contract can make a player set for life. If a player is merely good but not great and thinks he can use 'roids to get an extra 20 points on his batting average in order to earn a three year, ten million dollar deal, it seems almost logical that he'd try it.

Pitchers are skinny or fat but rarely (overtly) muscular. Their game is mental and requires flexibility over strength. Plus, a starter will pitch maybe 35 games. A regular player has to go out there 162 times. Rod Beck smokes in the clubhouse and has never lifted weights in his life, but that didn't stop him from getting 53 saves in 1998.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I hope you have flash cause it's
fucking FADTASTIC!!!

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page