Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through October 11, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » The fountains are in!! » Archive through October 11, 2002 « Previous Next »

Perruche_Verte
Posted on Friday, October 11, 2002 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Portuguese water jug, etc., angle 2
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Friday, October 11, 2002 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Portuguese water jug, etc.
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Friday, October 11, 2002 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

OK, here's a couple of photos I took a while ago, just because.
Greenmeanie
Posted on Friday, October 11, 2002 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

NO NO NOOOOOO! Not the PIKKLE slicer!
Tavarua
Posted on Friday, October 11, 2002 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

You got a problem with a ham and cheese sandwich, there, buddy? Do I have to get the pickle slicer?
Greenmeanie
Posted on Friday, October 11, 2002 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ham and cheese!? Feh! Gabagool, now that's a sandwich! You stunad or what?
Tavarua
Posted on Friday, October 11, 2002 - 7:43 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I can make a ham and cheese sandwich. Would anyone like a ham cheese sandwich?
Pataphysician
Posted on Friday, October 11, 2002 - 7:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ceasar haircut and a leather jacket.
Le_Vieux_Hibou
Posted on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

> how do I get made?

Don't you know the secret handshake?
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

All I wanna know is...

how do I get made?
Tavarua
Posted on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Less globe trotting, more absinthe making!
Tavarua
Posted on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Is that Ted making an appearance?
Chevalier
Posted on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Over 40? One word: overkill! ;-)
Absinthedrinker
Posted on Wednesday, October 9, 2002 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

the absinthe mafia
mafia
Absinthedrinker
Posted on Wednesday, October 9, 2002 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes these photos are all from Pontarlier, there was an exhibition of over 20 different antique fountains from one guys collection of over 40, I was very envious! At the moment that fountain (and its six spigot sister) is a one-off.
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, October 9, 2002 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I wonder if this fountain will be offered via the Lemercier Freres distillery? The photo looks like it came from their absinthe-tasting party. (Go to http://www.lemercier.com/ and read the pop-up page.)
Thegreenimp
Posted on Wednesday, October 9, 2002 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Are the photos from Pontarlier?
Absinthedrinker
Posted on Wednesday, October 9, 2002 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

yes, maybe next year...
Zman7
Posted on Wednesday, October 9, 2002 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

When you say, "That one is coming soon," do you mean they will be for sale?
Absinthedrinker
Posted on Wednesday, October 9, 2002 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

that one is coming soon...
Absinthedrinker
Posted on Wednesday, October 9, 2002 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

fountain
Petermarc
Posted on Wednesday, October 9, 2002 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

absfount
Buck_Turgidson
Posted on Tuesday, October 8, 2002 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

My replacement glasses arrived Monday, 10/7. Excellent response time. And now I have glasses that match my fountain and my spoons. I'm very happy with my setup and the customer service from Niceí Art.

If they ever expand their absinthe products, I'd order from them again. I like the Versinthe Blanche, however considering shipping expenses; it's hard to justify an order for a couple of bottles of just one type of absinthe. And, once you've got your fountain, glasses, and spoons, what's left to order?

Perhaps, we can join together to email requests for other brands of absinthe. Since they're in France, they should be able to offer decent deals on French absinthe, i.e. Guy and Emile.

Their service is good (so far), their prices seem fair, and shipping is quick and not too pricy. What do you guys think? How about an email campaign to get a French store to offer French absinthe.
Thus far, I believe we have three stores that offer quality service; SC, Markus, and Ian. I still place orders with all three depending on the mood I'm in. I'm happy with our current quality suppliers, but I think a French store offering French absinthe would be a nice addition. I also think that they would be able to offer the best deal, being the country of origin.

Think about it. Does anyone have any complaints from Niceí Art? If they realize the demand, maybe they can respond with the product. Itís worth a shot, c'mon guys, letís go for it. As far as I know, no-one is offering Emile 45, and Markus seems to only have .5L bottles of Guy that gets expensive considering shipping. What have we got to lose?

Oh yeah, and how about those presents? My last one appears to be a .1L bottle of fig liqueur. How Ďbout those French, theyíll try mixing just about anything with alcohol.

Bucky
Greenmeanie
Posted on Thursday, October 3, 2002 - 3:08 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Bucky,

Thanks for the observations. Most interesting.

-Green
Buck_Turgidson
Posted on Thursday, October 3, 2002 - 2:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey,
I tested out the equipment with the Versinthe Blanche and others. Everything seems to work great. A fountain adds an extra dimension to the louche, at least compared to my old fountain that came attached to my kitchen sink. (Americans take so much for granted. What other country comes with an absinthe fountain as standard equipment in most every kitchen?)

Also, it seems to enhance the absinthe as well. Maybe itís psychological, especially after plunking down some bucks. However, I seem to prefer it to the traditional western Pennsylvanian method of plopping a couple of ice cubes into a Kmart blue light special glass and holding it over the faucet. A slow steady stream of water (with the knob turned just past where the water drips) seems to make the absinthe "bloom".

It wasn't just the Versinthe Blanche (which I've never tried before), that bloomed, the Emile and Guy did as well. Perhaps there's more to using a fountain than just dissolving sugar cubes. I prefer my drinks dry and have never added sugar to absinthe (is this another aspect Iím missing out on, as well?).

Keeping this ramble going: I guess what I mean by "bloom" is that the drink becomes more herbal and less alcoholic to the nose and palate. Itís like gently knocking at the door and asking the herbs (or mutant herbal oil extracts, depending on the product) to come out and play, and then watching them frolic once outside. As opposed to busting down the door and catching some of the herbs by surprise, unfortunately, some are able to slip out the back door.

One final note, the Versinthe Blanche, in my humble opinion, is good. Itís different than ďtraditionally,Ē distilled Emile and Guy. But, I sense an attempt to produce a quality product in spite of the thujone marketing. Also, I donít believe that absinthe has to follow age old traditional recipes and methods to be considered absinthe. Sure, itís not the same, but does it have to be? I consider what I drive to be an automobile even though itís not a model T. I believe what Iím typing on is a computer, even though itís not a Univac.

I applaud the efforts of those hand crafting products and those attempting to faithfully reproduce traditional, authentic absinthe. And there is no doubt that anything crafted with personal attention to detail and the pursuit of quality, assuming a reasonable degree of experience and talent, has a greater potential to produce superior product. Nonetheless, many of the commercially produced absinthes are indeed absinthe, and some of it is even good. Even in the golden age of absinthe, a vast quantity of what was produced was of very poor quality and some were downright dangerous. I believe, once given a couple more years for the market and distillers to mature, and especially if laws could be relaxed a bit, we could see a spectrum of absinthes rivaling that of the good old days, except perhaps somewhat safer.

Bucky

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page