Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through October 15, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Old, sealed Pernod absinthe bottle -- contents intact » Archive through October 15, 2002 « Previous Next »

_Blackjack
Posted on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am not worried by snipers, simply because there is nothing I can do about it, anyway. Honestly, it was something of a relief, several years ago, when I realized that I was utterly powerless to stop a determined person from killing me. It cured a great deal of the adolecent paranoia which had me always watching my back and trying to be "ready" for whatever might happen. The realization that--beyond basic precautions and common sense--my safety was basically beyond my control, lifted a terrific burden of responsibility from my mind. If some nutter with a rifle pops me in the head, it isn't my FAULT, because there is no way I could have prevented it, short of never leaving the house and staying away from windows.

Still sucks for these people and their families tho, but in my mind, it's like worrying about getting struck by lightning.

My poor girlfriend got caught in the traffic caused by the road blocks Monday night, after a 3-hour road-trip and with 2 Red Bulls in her bladder. It took her 2 hours to go 8 miles...
Nolamour
Posted on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes...keep ducking and weaving around whilst purchasing your Partagas 150's. If you have the bucks for one of these, let me know...I'd like to hang out with you. The walk in humidor may be a good place to hide out.

Seriously, this is sure quite a misfortune and my condolences go out to the victims' families. Be careful out there, Blackjack.

The Pernod is up to $760.
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hmm, I had a theory that he was YOU, Blackjack, but I'm sure you'd be more discriminating in your targets!

I read a profile of one of the recent victims, who seemed like a rather decent fellow - chairman of an organization that promoted Black-owned businesses and Black self-help. Apparently chosen at random, like the rest.

Please move quickly while going for cigars, and stay away from highways if possible!

I hope he's caught soon -- terrorism that actually has a cause is insufferable enough, but sheer random misanthropic violence is really frightening. Adopting a better foreign policy or being nicer people won't save us from it.
_Blackjack
Posted on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

In any case, the last three seconds of this auction will be rife with sniper bids.

...kinda like living in Washington these days...

(the last one was 3 miles down the road from me...that shopping center has the closest cigar store to my apartment...)
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ok Lite, just so I know where we stand...

...I can't get that fucking "Heartlight" song
out of my goddamn head!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

STAY TUNED FOLKS THERE'S MORE ACTION IN STORE
FOR THE

Rock the Epoque
Luvlite68
Posted on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Head- I'm glad I can be an amusement to you without even trying.

I think the paranoia is out to get you . . .
Chevalier
Posted on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

In any case, the last three seconds of this auction will be rife with sniper bids.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"What agenda?" don't be (snicker) coy.

I just missed you is all girl.

They never ever leave do they...
_Blackjack
Posted on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Speaking of vintage Tarragona:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=723314249

Looks a little on the antifreeze-green side for 85-year-old absinthe...
Luvlite68
Posted on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Head, exactly what do you know about me or my agenda? I bid a couple of times to see how serious Zman was about purchasing the bottle and was outbid automatically with each increase. It is clear that he has set a high limit for what he is willing to pay.

If anyone is hoping for "dreams" to come true, it was the moron who suggested that bidding $700-$750 on a $900+ bottle of absinthe was somehow going to change the outcome of the final price.
Greenmeanie
Posted on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 7:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Back in '77 when I was visiting relatives in Germany, my uncle had several interesting bottles of cognac. Seems Erwin Rommel grabbed a whole mess of cognac during his european/african sightseeing tour. After the war this liquor became the property of the allies. In the mid-40's they were re-labled "Delva Cognac" and sold through the PX system. The back of the bottle had an interesting diamond shaped label that said that the liquor in the bottle met all allied purity standards and that it was fit for allied consuption. It also came with a small booklet attached that had a detailed history of the cognac/Rommel connection.

He opened one of his 3 remaining bottles. It had a copper foil cap over a natural cork. After the cork was pulled, it shriveled up almost immediatly and worse than a raisin. The flavor was FANTASTIC! Talk about drinking history. I was happy when he gave me the empty bottle with intact labels, cork, foil and booklet.

http://www.bottlebooks.com/questions/February%202000/Delva.htm
Sambeau
Posted on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 7:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Greetings everyone. I am relatively new to the Absinthe world and this forum. From my attempts to start a small collection, Horace16 seems to be everywhere. Everywhere and well financed. I figured he was one of you guys.
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 6:31 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Is that 'U.S. Navy Mess' sticker for real?

It would seem to indicate that this stuff was on board a U.S. Navy ship long after the ban.
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 6:22 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wow, a Pernod Fils Tarragona. Probably at least $1000?
Binky
Posted on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 2:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

What is this bottle worth? Exactly the price someone is willing to pay for it...
Marc
Posted on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

so what is this bottle worth?
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

We do (on the other hand) remember luvlite and know his medically focused, strategic agenda...

"Bid until your dreams come true"
Oxygenee
Posted on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Let me defend the honour of a fellow collector. Horace is a keen, relatively new enthusiast. I'm absolutely certain he's not in cahoots with the seller, who seems entirely reputable by the way (look at the feedback). The bottle, judging by the description and the additional information sent to me by the seller, is intact and in good condition. Its generally a better idea to snipe, rather than bid up the price so early, but this is a desirable bottle in good condition that was clearly and correctly described, and was always going to get bid up to the $700+ level, so its difficult to see what real harm he has done. These bottles never go for less. Horace's multiple bids were'nt for the hell of it, but to outbid zman (who has now in turn outbid Horace, and luvlite). Ebay in any event doesn't allow you to bid up the price if you are already the highest bidder.
_Blackjack
Posted on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

He didn't "bid and re-bid". That's what it looks like when someone places a high maximum bid in a dutch auction and a bunch of people bid lower than his max. Everyy time somebody bids lower than hismax, it will show up as another bid for HIM.
Tavarua
Posted on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I emailed her too, and the response I got did not seem genuine. But I don't think she typically deals in Absinthe very often, it may have been a simple mistake.
Nolamour
Posted on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yea, I saw this auction and emailed the seller with some questions...within minutes it was up $400+

Maybe these two (horace and seller) are in cahoots!
Tavarua
Posted on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have seen him overbid in the past. Does he post here? He knew who I was, so he must at least frequent here.
Chevalier
Posted on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Horace16" is a bidder who doesn't tend to do silly things. Which begs the question: since there's no hidden reserve on the bottle, why did Horace bother to bid and re-bid a million times?
Tavarua
Posted on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oh well, had to happen sooner or late.

Alright, who is Horace. I wrote him earlier, telling him I what an asinine thing it was to drive the price up this early.
Chevalier
Posted on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Looks like two of our own are fishing for it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=723358103

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page