Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through October 21, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Absinthe kit? whazzat? » Archive through October 21, 2002 « Previous Next »

Zman7
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Gert Strand, and his products, are usually of a quality nature. I would, however, have doubts about his absinthe essence from producing anything resembling a true distilled absinthe. It is definitely a step (several hundred maybe)from any of the nasty steeping recipes. For your money, just go get a bottle of Emile 68, or the new Pernod 68, Francois Guy, etc.
Orgulasmaggot
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

So, without talking about any forbidden topics, has anyone actually looked at what www.absintheliquor.com has produced?

I got some bottles, smaller ones, of his Absinthe essence and while it's not *bad* it's no doubt not up to commerically produced stuff.

His attempts at a single malt scotch from essence was not quiet there, but was drinkable and better than bar scotch in many regards.

His wormwood schnapps, a 'Besk' clone, was actually pretty good too.

It is claimed, by the distributor I talked to, that this guy sells the essence to various Absinthe manufacturers and that's what they use.

I don't know. But he will sell you 25 Liters of the stuff if you want, and if can prove that you are a legal distillery/liquor manufacturer. As well as your choice of about 200 other essences.

A bit more depth to him than that bag of herbs steeped in vodka stuff maybe.

I used an 'Everclear' equivalent here, diluted to 72% and made up a bottle of the stuff. Again, not bad. Still trying to get it to louche without having added star anise oil to 'boost' it.
Orgulasmaggot
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

So, without talking about any forbidden topics, has anyone actually looked at what www.absintheliquor.com has produced?

Forgive me please if this is old news. I just haven't found a convenient way to search and scan the forum and archives.

I got some bottles, smaller ones, of his Absinthe essence and while it's not *bad* it's no doubt not up to commerically produced stuff.

His attempts at a single malt scotch from essence was not quiet there, but was drinkable and better than bar scotch in many regards.

His wormwood schnapps, a 'Besk' clone, was actually pretty good too.

It is claimed, by the distributor I talked to, that this guy sells the essence to various Absinthe manufacturers and that's what they use.

I don't know. But he will sell you 25 Liters of the stuff if you want, and if can prove that you are a legal distillery/liquor manufacturer. As well as your choice of about 200 other essences.

A bit more depth to him than that bag of herbs steeped in vodka stuff maybe.

I used an 'Everclear' equivalent available here, diluted to 72%, and made up a bottle of the stuff with that.

Again, not bad. Still trying to get it to louche without having added star anise oil to 'boost' it. Good enough for Green Hour I suppose.
Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

No, the punishment is : NOT to get a spanking ;-).

Now let's talk about quilting ...
Greenmeanie
Posted on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

That's only at the Castle Anthrax!
_Blackjack
Posted on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

What, no spanking?
Admin
Posted on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

thank you darlings. I really love it when you don't break my rules.

kisses!
Mogan_David
Posted on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 6:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dr O,

It's impossible to argue the point without breaking rules so I'll just agree that as far as information available on the web you can't beat the Frenchman's 1899 recipes as well as the Pernod Catalouge.

Here's the link for anyone who hasn't seen this yet.

http://www.frenchmanltd.com/final/recipe9.htm
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 2:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

MD, Wolfgang, I do have some information about the result of using those old recipes.

Long time ago I wondered in the Forum whether anybody had tried the "Swiss Absinthe of Pontarlier" one, the closest to the Pernod recipe itself.

Artemis mentioned that (insert the name of a well-known absintheur here) had done it and the result was excellent.

Of course, I agree that they can be made a mess, my point was that, on the right hands, these recipes can produce good absinthe.
Traineraz
Posted on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

. . . of course, opium poppy seeds are readily available all over the US, since growing them is legal. How much do they charge, $50 for 100 seeds? Try www.burpee.com or something, heh heh!
Wolfgang
Posted on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dr.O.

The list of ingredients may be acceptable (even if some obvious typo are in there) but the process are incomplete or wrong.

It does give a good starting point tho.
Mogan_David
Posted on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 6:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tristan,

You should put a bit of wormwood in your mouth and taste it. It's vile bitter horrible stuff.

From the looks of a bottle of Absinthe King. It seems that they may use simple maceration to create their product.

You should go to that absinthe kit website. It's a hoot. "The World's Most Evil Drink"
Check out their Guest Book.

Quote:

I've ordered other kits from eBay and the Internet but I'm back for more of yours. Tastes rather raunchy but it does the job!

Now if their version of Absinthe doesn't get you high, you can grow some of their opium poppy seeds.

These people are a real class act.
Mogan_David
Posted on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 6:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dr. O

Not to start a forbidden discussion here, but I have to agree with Wolfgang on this one.

It's a lot like building a car. You can have all the correct auto parts, but if you just throw them into a box it's still not a car. Everything must be assembled correctly and with the ingredients in the right proportions. Twenty spark plugs and six mufflers won't get you down the road.

I've seen Artemis' work on Frenchman's website. While I'm sure all this stuff would be drinkable, I'm not sure it would all be very good. Still it's an extremely interesting document and I'm very grateful for the work Artemis and Frenchman have done to expand our knowledge on this subject.

MD
Tristan_Ii
Posted on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 5:37 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Of course.... I realized just a little bit ago that we were probably walking the knife edge of the forbidden, so I'm going to attempt to turn this into a safer discussion...

So.... uh..... these concoctions that are being sold... you think any of the commercial brands are usign this method and trying to make a fortune?
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 5:19 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oh, and to NOT answer your question, Tristan.

Kallisti has requested that there would be no discussing of home distilling in the Forum.
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 5:17 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"For sure, good hausgemachtes can't be mixed out of an absinthe kit and the correct process and recipes can't be found on the web. "

Artemis has translated an 1899 book on liqueurs' manufacture that contains seven absinthe recipes. In one of them, the herbs coincide exactly with those mentioned by Pernod Fils for their product.

It seems to me a bold statement to say that none of those recipes is correct.
Tristan_Ii
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, I dont' know about pit bulls, but I grew up politicaly aware in an apathetic house, and that should count for something.

I figured these kits and such were useless, but could one use the materials to do one's own distilling? At least in theory?
Barsnake
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Or Pit Bull tickling?
Tavarua
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Forget hog smacking. Ever try bear baiting?
Wolfgang
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

''Or is this hogsmacking? ''

What we call hausgemachte (damn German spelling...) can be sometimes excellent and sometimes very bad. I have sampled many, most are bad but there`s also some artists who can make exceptional hausgemachte that will beat most La Bleu and all commercial absinthes.

For sure, good hausgemachtes can't be mixed out of an absinthe kit and the correct process and recipes can't be found on the web.
Mogan_David
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tristan,

The results of mixing wormwood with alcohol without distilling the result would be more appropriate to an episode of Fear Factor than a nice evening with friends.

BTW, Did you look at that bag of wormwood? It looks to be over a pound! I think crack would be a safer alternative.
_Blackjack
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

This will make absinthe just as much as grape juice and everclear will make wine...
Tristan_Ii
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 3:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm with you.... I just don't see how this would work. I've done some homemade liqours before, flavoring vodka and such, but this seems like it's sort of a shotgun approach.

http://www.absintheliquor.com is even worse. "Essence of Absinthe", just add everclear and a bit of sugar, shake, and serve. This is REALLY scary.
Absinthedrinker
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"My own magic opaline (to create that milky louche)"

gagging at the thought...
Tristan_Ii
Posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 1:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1768261558

Or the alternative of www.absinthekits.com.

What's the deal? Are these legit? Will they make anything that tastes even halfway decent?

Or is this hogsmacking?

Color me confuzzled.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page