Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through October 23, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » The Monkey Hole » Rally Monkeys » Archive through October 23, 2002 « Previous Next »

Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

WARRIORS!

... COME OUT TO PLAY!!!
Le_Vieux_Hibou
Posted on Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

Or maybe it was just hyperbole, and you just meant, "Fuck off, Chong

More or less. Thank you for the baseball lessons, though. Now I too can pretend to know something about it.
Bjacques
Posted on Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Didn't baseball players used to be a lot skinnier (except the pitchers)? I glanced at the news and noticed that all the players are beefy like Sosa.

I'm not much of a baseball fan, since I come from Houston, but not even living two years in the same city as George F. Will managed to turn me off the sport.

I'm more a Rollerball fan, though. GO HOUSTON ENERGY!!
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Gabby Abner

audio/wavSing Along
organ.wav (40 k)
Bob_Chong
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

LVH:

A thread takes its own direction. Setting it in motion does not guarantee that we all stick to the original intentions. Why else would we have a monkey hole?

As for your cart of apples analogy, I'd say that you walked into a tittie bar with a cart of apples. Some person or another may say, "Gee, apple-boy, you're swell." I replied, "I came for the melons, so move out of the way."

So you don't like baseball, just fads. That's cool. Wrap it up in the righteous clothing of "ancient ancestral magic," or whatever, but it's still just a fad.

"Such [baseball] things are so utterly insignificant that I can’t fathom an intelligent person having any concern with them at all."

This is where you show your ignorance. You can't "fathom" an intelligent person knowing about or discussing baseball? Think harder. You are clearly out of your depth and/or don't get out much. Many sports take a lot more intelligence than some realize, and fans come from all walks.

Or maybe it was just hyperbole, and you just meant, "Fuck off, Chong, I don't dig baseball." That's cool. But you don't need to piss on Abner Doubleday in the process.

I love baseball so much, I might as well name my cock "Merkle's Boner!"

(That last reference is for Head.)

BC
Le_Vieux_Hibou
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

I don't buy into "it's a beautiful thing to see" that was idiotically posted by LeVieuxHibou, or whoever that pedantic crut is.

I’m not selling anything.

It’s as though I came into the square with a cartload of apples and said, “See!”.

Head P. took one, took a bite, and said, “It’s sweet!”.

Bob Chong, not seeing the apples for the cart, bitched, “ I’m not BUYING any PUMPKINS!”

This thread is not about baseball. It’s about magic, totems, tribes. The beauty I admired is the beauty of the unbreakable umbilical cord that ties a crowd at a sporting event to their ancestors in the Stone Age, who tried to work magic in the same way to ensure a successful hunt, or a victory over their enemies. The fact that the monkeys supposedly originated as a commercial promotion is irrelevant, as it has moved beyond that, and that origin has been largely forgotten by everybody concerned.

Who am I? I’m a person who assumed there were a few people in this forum who could grasp this, and a few more who would simply smile at the monkeys, given the apparent fascination here for all things monkey. I’m a person who couldn’t care less about who wins a baseball game, much less make assumptions about which league is “better” or which city “deserves” a winner. Such things are so utterly insignificant that I can’t fathom an intelligent person having any concern with them at all.

Who are you? For one thing, you’re a violator of Rule No. 1 of this forum: “Don’t be an asshole”. Because you don't agree or don't understand, doesn't make me an idiot.
Pataphysician
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 7:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Robert Williams

Robert Williams, "The Four Seasons As Seen Through The Eyes Of Jessica's Sock Monkey"

Explanatory Nomenclature: Both The Summer And Winter Solstice In Conjunction With The Autumnal And Vernal Equinox Are Poetically Dramatized And Presented To You As Might Be Abstractly Interpreted Through The Button Eyes Of An Inanimate Stuffed Primatial Rag Doll

Poolroom Title: Leap Year Is Forever In The Athlete's Foot Monkey's Almanac
Bob_Chong
Posted on Sunday, October 20, 2002 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Head:

I hate it when folks leave to beat the traffic. WTF? And they do it when a game is close, too, which is confounding. Or they do it (in the case of Cubs games) after Sosa bats in the 7th or 8th inning.

I am saddened by the state of the Tigers franchise. It deserves a return to its former glory, and I hope it someday will. One of the things I love about baseball is that even a shitty team wins nearly half its games. They flashed a stat on TV the other day about losingest (is that a word?) franchises in all of sports over the last ten years, and the Tigers were it for baseball. Even so, they had something like a .420 winning percentage. Now that is not good by any means, but when you compare that to the Clippers (who win something like 25% of their games, if they're lucky), it's not too bad.

This has been a great Series so far, and I hope it shapes up as good as last year's.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Sunday, October 20, 2002 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"How was that for a monkey hole entry?"
SLICK WOLF! Really SLICK.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Sunday, October 20, 2002 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

No man, woman or beast is free from
the Wrath of CHONG CHONG CHONG!!!.

It's your passion for the game that
inspires me Chonger. My favorite part
about Tigers baseball is that I can
turn it on (tv or radio)and the sounds
of the game put me to sleep in even
the most unbearable of temperatures.

I work with a guy who is HARDCORE UofM
football fan. There are no tail gate parties,

THAT'S BAD!!!

no drinking during the game,

OH THAT'S BAD!!!

no radios at the game,

OH NOOOOOOO!!!!!!

YOU DO NOT get on your cell phone
while sitting near him... NO DISTRACTIONS!!!
The big cardinal sin is to leave just before
the game is over in order to "beat the traffic".
He's funny to listen to but I can understand
his point. "You came to see the game, pay
attention to what's on the field".

...but Goddamn Bob! I love the fucking
monkeys!!!
Bob_Chong
Posted on Sunday, October 20, 2002 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I don't buy into "it's a beautiful thing to see" that was idiotically posted by LeVieuxHibou, or whoever that pedantic crut is.

It is no more clever than the wave, tomahawk, or a big foam finger. It is a marketing ploy and detracts from the game on the field. But that doesn't matter--most Anaheim fans have been following baseball for about ten minutes and have no idea what a hit-and-run is.

Adding to the bushleague factor is the "thunder sticks." See sentences one and two of the preceding paragraph. Also, if we must import things from Jap-ball, at least let it be more Ichiros and less thunder sticks.

Head: Dickme=Disney.

Finally, you'd think these Johnny-come-latelies who are now on the Anaheim bandwagon would at least brush up on their rally monkey etiquette. But noooooo....

The Angels are a good team and I hope they relocate the franchise. They deserve some fans who show up when it isn't the World Series.
Wolfgang
Posted on Sunday, October 20, 2002 - 1:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

After two glass of the last Moonman's experiment, I would fuck a monkey... or Chonger, or Head, or any living thing.

How was that for a monkey hole entry ?
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Saturday, October 19, 2002 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have no idea what language you are
speaking Chonger but I'm picking up
some negative vibes against the
power of rally monkey...

What's a Dickme?
Bob_Chong
Posted on Saturday, October 19, 2002 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I shit on the rally monkey. The whole thing is so bushleague.

Typical AL antics.

What else could we expect from an upstart league and a franchise owned by Dickme?
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

POWER?
Joalco
Posted on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Man, I hate me some organized sports, but I love that monkey...!
Pataphysician
Posted on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 7:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dada recognized their power

Portrait of Cezanne by Francis Picabia
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

She recognized their power
Le_Vieux_Hibou
Posted on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Looks like it's going to be an all-California World Series, what with the SF Giants and the Angels. Short of an earthquake, I would expect the resulting damage to public and private property to be a lot less than that if the series had been in Chicago, or God forbid, in NYC. I'm so pleased the Angels showed the NY Yankees the door without delay. I don't think I could stand another NYC fireman or cop being trotted out onto an athletic field for emotional effect. Give me the monkeys, anytime.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

For you, Headly my pal:
Jockeylovin'
Raschied
Posted on Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm in Anaheim for a trade show, and was on my way back from Fry's when the game let out. I gotta say that the fans were very well-behaved. No fires, no looting - just a lot of people honking and beating those inflatable sticks together.
Le_Vieux_Hibou
Posted on Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The Angels made short work of the Twins today, and are headed to the World Series, so anybody who hasn't caught the Monk's act will have to wait until then to see him.

I understand the Angels were behind today before they came roaring back to win, though, so the monkey mojo must have been very strong.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I left a rally monkey at Louches house. He was
about to put the chizz-nil on ol' Jockey Jockey.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Believe in their power

Off to the big house.
Le_Vieux_Hibou
Posted on Friday, October 11, 2002 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Baseball playoffs are underway.

Check out an Angels' game at Anaheim on TV if you can. If they get behind, out come the monkeys. It's a beautiful thing to see.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page