Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through October 30, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Absinthe substitutes... gasp!!!! » Archive through October 30, 2002 « Previous Next »

Genevieve
Posted on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

well, i had the herbsaint... is it supposed to taste like watered down jaegermeister?
Tavarua
Posted on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

$84 for pastis!
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 7:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

With just under 5 hours to go, the Segarra has edged into second place at $60, versus $84 (!!!) for the Mari Mayans.

Fear of search engines? Fear of the mail? Who knows?
Tavarua
Posted on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 5:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Speaking of Deva, last time I was fishing around on Ebay there was a bottle of Mari Mayans, Deva, and Segarra back to back. Not sure where they are at now, but MM had the highest bet, THEN the Deva, THEN the Segarra. Alright everyone, it's very apparent that we're not working hard enough to educate the public. YOU SHOULD ALL BE ASHAMED!! For today, we are little, little people.
Wolfgang
Posted on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hahaha! come one Zman...

*insert hausgematched wolfgang here*
Zman7
Posted on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Speaking of absinthe substitutes....I miss the good old days of discussing how great Deva is....
Sigh.....
Wolfgang
Posted on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Whou hou! let's dig out those blue cross again!
Tavarua
Posted on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 6:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ohhh, what nonsense. It will develop at the same speed as it has for the rest of us.
Qbrick
Posted on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"So what if I sometimes neglect other things, like new clothes, or entertainment or food."

Looking shabby for the reason of drinking more liquor may drastically reduce your acceptance by society and therefor may result in developing alcoholism faster than you think.
Wolfgang
Posted on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Bret, tuition fee in Canada are still reasonable compared to many places in the US (you'r a fellow canadian right?).

A diploma in Canada also means "this guy now knows how to drink insane amount of liquor".

Usually it means beer but sometimes someone prefer not to eat and buy absinthe instead ;-)
Wolfgang
Posted on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Betty recently told me her #2 provider is now back, up and running so she should have some bottles for sell... If someone really is ready to pay her price, just email her about it.
Brett
Posted on Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 8:00 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey, I'm in universtiy and I still manage to buy excessive amounts of liquor. So what if I sometimes neglect other things, like new clothes, or entertainment or food.

At least my tuition and fees didn't cut too badly into my absinthe fund :)
I_B_Puffin
Posted on Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"did i say i was in college?" No, but you have a college email address, you're still college age, and you're poor, so it seems a reasonable assuption that you are still in college.
Genevieve
Posted on Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

well, i'm actually not in college anymore, but now that my great college education has afforded me nothing but theoretical, useless knowledge, i am very much unemployed. hence, no money. thanks for backing my poor ass up though. where'd the college thing come from? did i say i was in college?
Chevalier
Posted on Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Earth to forumites: Genevieve is a college student. In general, do college students have a lot of disposable $$$ to spend on, say, absinthe? Nope.

Well-meaning though your encouragement is, remember how it is to be very cash-poor and on a very strict budget. Remember how expensive textbooks can be. The life of a student doesn't mix well with budget-busting luxuries.
Tristan_Ii
Posted on Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 4:25 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

genevieve- I'm with you... I really want to try Emile 68, and Serpis, but I cannot bring myself to justify spending 40 bucks just for shipping.

I purchased a bottle of Herbsainte a while back, and had one sip of it. I was disappointed... but I think I may have put to much water in, and I was using Petaluma tap water at that. Ick.

Tell you what, I have a few questions for you, drop me a line at Criticalpedestrian@yahoo.com. I have an idea that may benefit us both!
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

2lou!

It's ALLL gone... He ain't the world
famous, often simulated, never
duplicated, highly impregnated,
bottle demolitionated, LOUCHED LIVER
fer nothing, you know?

Sheeeeeeeet Monkey? What were you thinkin'
2loucheltrec
Posted on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

wolf - betty's #2 was out of production by the time you sampled it at the nyc-gt with no possibilty of a return... i last talked to her in early april and she had her #1,3 & 4 bleues available... if you haggle you might be able to get her down to $140-150 (still a lot of money)....
mmmmmmm moonman ny-brew & neph's brew !!!! (sorry kallisti ) i might have to drive to louched liver's and scam the last of neph's from him... hehehehehe
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It is of course a question of personal preference. My favorite commercial absinthe are F.Guy and Emile 68. After that, there`s some interesting one you may want to try :

Segarra (simple but well made and butterscotchy)

LaFee (let`s call it a good oil mix)

Sebor (from http://www.sebor-absinth.com/ , not the other ripoff, interesting if you prefer less anis, too expensive tho. The only drinkable czech absinthe).

Then, there`s of course tons of other curiosities like Serpis 65 and such ...

If you want a good LaBleu, unless you know someone who know someone, you`ll have to pay to much for it if you want something really good. So far, only Betina`s #2 did make me want to have another glass. Problem is ; she sell it for 200$ a bottle. Way too much. But it's very good. Even what I can get through my personal contact in switzerland is not half as good but I wouldn't pay such a price.

And then, there's of course the Hausgematches (home made) you can dream about... Some are foul, some are absolutely mindblowing. To have a taste of those, your best bet is to attend the gatherings we sometimes organize.
Giovannigray
Posted on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The mint flavor in La Fee is subtle at best..certainly not a dominant taste. In fact I don't detect mint in it at all. That being said, I always keep a supply of La Fee on hand - it's one of my favorites. If you buy one bottle of it, it'll run you about $75.. I usually get two, and that comes to about $68.50 each, depending on the exchange rate. Worth it? I think so. After all, any inferior product will still run you around $50.
Genevieve
Posted on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

...or la fee... which sounds actually really good from the review. i like mint.. how many of you like la fee? worth the price?
Genevieve
Posted on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I ordered some Herbsaint, which is only about $13 and I can afford that, so in a couple days I can tell you if I like that at least. And if I like it, and if I play my cards right, I might just be able to get someone else to pay for a bottle of Francois Guy for my birthday, coming up.... we shall see... (insert evil gleam in my green eye)
Greenmeanie
Posted on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Genevieve,

I've been active here for about 6-ish months and I've been enjoying various absinthes for about the same amount of time. I've been lucky because I've been able to try about 10 different commercial brands and one kick-ass hausegemacht. This is the best place to learn. Go back through the archive (what ever is left of it) and the past posts that are still active. Read well, check the reviews put up by Kallisti and choose your poison.

I fully agree with Zman 3 posts ago. Those are my three favorites.

Quit procrastinating, pick a brand and get off some cash! You will NOT be disapointed!!!
Pataphysician
Posted on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 7:17 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Keep in mind, too, that you're going to dilute it with plenty of water, anywhere from 3 to 5 parts water to Absinthe. I usually put a lot of water in it -- the more water the more flavors are revealed. So, if you use, say, 4 parts water, your 1 liter bottle is actually 5 liters of drinks, or about $12 to $17 a liter depending on the brand. That's how I justify it, anyway.
Giovannigray
Posted on Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

..and keep in mind that the difference between "cheap" absinthe and the best products out there is the difference between $50 per bottle (including shipping) and $80, so might as well go for the good stuff. To that end, ZMan gave you good advice. (La Fee is tasty, too)

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page